Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM

24 posts, read 49,767 times

Advertisements

I moved here from AK last fall and I've never seen worse driving than I see here in CFL. I'm not talking about tourists that cut across 4 lanes to hit an exit either, but locals. What really blows my mind is I see the cops doing the same idiotic/dangerous maneuvers, or failing to pull over offenders when happening right in front of them. I knew AK drivers were pretty good, but compared to the CFL locals, we're on an entirely different plane of existance! lol

Most common ones being...

1. Merging w/o signals. Seriously, is it that hard?
2. Slowing down to merge(often combined with #1). Makes no sense, but is soo common. Especially on I4 for some reason.
3. Not yielding to emergency vehicles. EVERY time I see one coming he's honking and flashing and drivers are either racing along with him. Or simply not paying attention.
4. When I'm making a left on a green, I inevitably will have one, if not several, vehicals making rights. It's ILLEGAL tards! You yield on a red. If I happen to want to take that first right into the gas station (or whatever) I always have to honk or cut someone off to get in.
5. Running reds. I've only seen a handful do that in AK in ~20yrs. Almost a daily occurrence down here.

And in the "just plain annoying" category..

6. On a yeilded left, not entering the intersection, but sitting behind then missing the light entirely.
7. Four-way stops must have been recently introduced down here as it seems noone has any frickin clue who to yield to. I have to honk and give them the "go! it's your turn, moron" sign.
8. Turning on hazards whenever it rains and slowing down to 30mph. WTH is this about?! Move to the right if you can't handle weather.

Lots more, but these are the daily ones. If the traffic cops actually started pulling people over en masse for the actual dangerous infractions instead of busting speeding commuters w/ cruise on, it'd be a much safer place to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM

10 posts, read 37,745 times
Welcome to the club! I have been living here for almost 3-years now and I can't wait until the real estate market pulls up so I can sell and move to a real city! it's a fact, none of these idiots know how to drive. Simple things like using their signals apparently is a very difficult task for their shared half-working brain to accomplish.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 PM

18 posts, read 84,185 times
Don't want more traffic cops, just better traffic engineering, lets focus on the real problem.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 AM

872 posts, read 1,703,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs11111 View Post
Don't want more traffic cops, just better traffic engineering, lets focus on the real problem.
I've driven in plenty of other states where the weather was much worse and there were potholes every couple miles. The problem in Orlando and all Florida has little to do with design. Its the idiots that drive here.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,698,305 times
I don't think the reference was to the condition of the road but the way they are laid out.

I have driven in several states, but never in one where a U-turn was standard practice for making a left to get into a shopping center on the other side of the road...U-turns are necessary to get alot of places here....I am having a little difficulty adjusting to that not being an illegal maneuver...lol!

Also, I get confused entering and leaving shopping centers (the smaller ones) You can't always get out onto the same road you got in from - traffic engineering....

But, I am learning, and I ALWAYS use my turn signals...

Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I don't think the reference was to the condition of the road but the way they are laid out.

I have driven in several states, but never in one where a U-turn was standard practice for making a left to get into a shopping center on the other side of the road...U-turns are necessary to get alot of places here....I am having a little difficulty adjusting to that not being an illegal maneuver...lol!

Also, I get confused entering and leaving shopping centers (the smaller ones) You can't always get out onto the same road you got in from - traffic engineering....

But, I am learning, and I ALWAYS use my turn signals...
I agree haha. Aren't you the one who moved to the sanctuary not to long ago? if so, how was your move? do you like it here? did you ever go see fireworks?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 PM

21 posts, read 39,155 times
I am usually against Big Brother surveillance but I do wish they would add some red light cameras to Orlando. I got used to anticipating people turning right on my green left, but the red light running is hazardous and happens ALL THE TIME. Literally multiple times a day. It holds up traffic and it's very, very dangerous in some intersections.

Let's start a vigilante club and put some fake cameras out there as a deterrent.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato06 View Post
I am usually against Big Brother surveillance but I do wish they would add some red light cameras to Orlando. I got used to anticipating people turning right on my green left, but the red light running is hazardous and happens ALL THE TIME. Literally multiple times a day. It holds up traffic and it's very, very dangerous in some intersections.

Let's start a vigilante club and put some fake cameras out there as a deterrent.
there are red light cameras. Everywhere i go at least. I don't have much problems with bad drivers here in orlando, then again i only drive up and down alafaya trl from waterford lakes area to oveido and back, if i go anywhere else i take the 417 or 408 to where i need to go.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 PM

530 posts, read 2,617,806 times
Maybe it's a "southern thing". I lived in New Orleans and it was exactly the same. After the light turned green, you would have to count to 3 before going to avoid the red light runners. Now I'm in Colorado, I drive the highway 50 miles daily and although I do see my share of "crazies", nothing compares to down south. Most people here use their signal lights, understand 4 way stops and actually let you merge!
Good luck to you!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM

133 posts, read 189,912 times
In my opinion, it's the foreignors from the big Island and the Islands that drive like idiots. I think it's in their blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando