Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM

12 posts, read 16,126 times

Advertisements

This OP has stated something very general. I would say if your willing to work small time jobs(Wait tables,hotel,clean,service,driver) for awhile or even better if you have a wife/roomate to come with and they will work as well. Its rather easy to make it here! You will not be living like a king but you will see sunshine and palm trees everyday. Apartments here are nice compared to anything in the northeast for sure. You will have swimming access usually, be close to the beach and have many untapped opportunities here in Orlando. If you have a specific job skill that is advanced in some way posiibly it will be hard to land that job quickly. Cost of living is cheap here, don't let these people tell you different. Remember, Most of the posters here have never lived in The Northeast or Cali where live is harder then @#$@#$

Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM

24 posts, read 50,044 times
Of course menial jobs can be had nearly anywhere and there's plenty of guys who just goof off all day, work odd jobs and love it. I know one FL surfer in particular...

Though, If you want a job worth staying with for more than a year and/or want to work in a specific field and not have to rent a cheap place for $600/mo in a not-so-great neighborhood, it's best to have it secured before moving.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
seriously, how many people have come on here and had 0 plan?
Unfortunately more than a few.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonresaon View Post
This OP has stated something very general. I would say if your willing to work small time jobs(Wait tables,hotel,clean,service,driver) for awhile or even better if you have a wife/roomate to come with and they will work as well. Its rather easy to make it here! You will not be living like a king but you will see sunshine and palm trees everyday. Apartments here are nice compared to anything in the northeast for sure. You will have swimming access usually, be close to the beach and have many untapped opportunities here in Orlando. If you have a specific job skill that is advanced in some way posiibly it will be hard to land that job quickly. Cost of living is cheap here, don't let these people tell you different. Remember, Most of the posters here have never lived in The Northeast or Cali where live is harder then @#$@#$
Wrong answer. Many of us are from the Northeast. Me former NYC commuter from a very high cost of living county in New Jersey. In all honestly I find the cost of living here similar to what it was in NJ. Jobs are harder to find, gas is more expensive, oranges are cheaper. My taxes here are proportionately higher than they were in NJ, even taking into consideration no state income tax. And frankly the handful of apartments I've been in here were no better or worse than what I saw up north. I make 30% less than I did in NJ, and the only reason we can live in the manor in which we are accustomed here is because my husband telecommutes from his NJ I/T job and still gets NJ wages.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM

The apartments here are the same as New Jersey or New york metro? What pipe are you smoking!! hehe jk. In all honesty, Cheap apartments 700-1200 are split up rowhomes or houses that rent out bedrooms for 600-800. Roaches. winter draft, portable heaters in most. Old fixtures. Whatch the movie "rocky" and thats what you get for 800-1200 a month. Cost of living is so much cheaper in Orlando .. you know this! you have to be kidding with this statement of same col. Small time jobs are not harder to find. Annerk we have to agree to disgree but I lived in New York,Conn, long island and never New Jersey(thank god). All of your statements are wrong in my humble opinion.. sames taxes? New York? hahaha. jk no really hahaha

Old 07-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The apartments here are the same as New Jersey or New york metro? What pipe are you smoking!! hehe jk. In all honesty, Cheap apartments 700-1200 are split up rowhomes or houses that rent out bedrooms for 600-800. Roaches. winter draft, portable heaters in most. Old fixtures. Whatch the movie "rocky" and thats what you get for 800-1200 a month. Cost of living is so much cheaper in Orlando .. you know this! you have to be kidding with this statement of same col. Small time jobs are not harder to find. Annerk we have to agree to disgree but I lived in New York,Conn, long island and never New Jersey(thank god). All of your statements are wrong in my humble opinion.. sames taxes? New York? hahaha. jk no really hahaha
Then you've obviously only lived in the ghetto. My home in NJ was assessed at $280K, I paid $3600 a year in taxes. My home here is assessed at $580K, I pay $9600 in taxes. I paid a lot in income taxes up north, but no $6K alot.

My car insurance here is cheaper, but the more expensive gas evens it out. Power is about the same, natural gas is higher here, as is cable.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM

Annerk, I have never lived as good as you for sure but I lived in a decent working class neighboorhood. My wife and I both worked and we rented an apartment in a rowhouse that was split up in levels. It was old and expensive piece of crap. I bet alot of people live like me in america. We moved down to florida 3 years ago and live so much better!. If you live working class, Florida is way better. If you want to live upper middle class then I don't know which is better. My wife and I made 62,000 a year in New york.(struggled) 3-5,000 a year after budget now we make about 53,000 have about 8-10,000 a year after budget. You make the call people. I'm being as honest as I can.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I also lived in New Jersey; in a townhouse in a nice neighborhood about 15-20 minutes from Princeton. I found the cost of living there about the same as the cost of living here, and I had more money to work with there. Gas and groceries were cheaper. Auto insurance, though, was about twice as much as it is here.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM

I mean not to cause a striff,, but who would you rather take advice from? someone from Jersey or a new yorker?? Take my word... It's cheaper to live in Orlando. Salaries are higher in the northeast for professional jobs but for pure living on a working mans gig..you can't go wrong. Thats a fact I see everyday and all my friends will agree.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I mean not to cause a striff,, but who would you rather take advice from? someone from Jersey or a new yorker?? Take my word... It's cheaper to live in Orlando. Salaries are higher in the northeast for professional jobs but for pure living on a working mans gig..you can't go wrong. Thats a fact I see everyday and all my friends will agree.
Honey, I AM a New Yorker. Spent 30 years of my life there, just happened to have my last stop in NJ before moving to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: