Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times

Advertisements

Well, I have a question....

Which is the appropriate course of action because I keep seeing people being told two different things...

First , they are told,

Don't come down here unless you have a job lined up.

Then they are told,

You can't get a job here unless you are living here, no one hires anyone but locals.

so, it's sortof a catch 22 now isn't it?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post

Which is the appropriate course of action because I keep seeing people being told two different things...

First , they are told,

Then they are told,

You can't get a job here unless you are living here, no one hires anyone but locals.

Both. Come here without a job if you have at least six months of living expanses, not including downpayment/deposits or stay where you are until you are able to find a job here. For certain professions, you WILL be able to get a job here without being a local BSRN, physical therapist, bi-lingual medical billing, and cetrain engineering fields are all wide open in this area.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Both. Come here without a job if you have at least six months of living expanses, not including downpayment/deposits or stay where you are until you are able to find a job here. For certain professions, you WILL be able to get a job here without being a local BSRN, physical therapist, bi-lingual medical billing, and cetrain engineering fields are all wide open in this area.
this and Parrotrosie's initial question are probably the best question and answer ever seen regarding this issue i've seen on this board...lets frame it

Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 AM

398 posts, read 729,295 times
I will say no job, no move. Now in days you dont know if you will get a job in six months.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMER View Post
I will say no job, no move. Now in days you dont know if you will get a job in six months.
if the situation you live in is expensive and not certain (who's really is these days?) , then it may very well be a better option. Plus, as has been said, a lot of times you need to be there to get considered, the moving with savings is really the only REASONABLE response to this, the others are extreme one way or another.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,781 times
I would never recommend quitting a job you already have just to move to Florida; but if you are unemployed where you are, you might as well come on down and look for a job here. Just make sure the type of job that you do is in demand here. We are basically a tourist based economy; though the medical field is up and coming here.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Tourist based? Have you seen the homes around here? They aren't all supported by tourism based jobs, that I can tell you!

Do you know, that you have all five branches of the military right in Orlando? Five , right? Four or five anyway, and they do a large portion of their research and development right here? Do you realize how much technology is in not only in the Space Coast and Research park but scattered throughout? You got laser sight development, flight trainer and sim development and building, you got all the secret and top secret military development in technology....holy crap you guys got an engineering gold mine down here....does no one realize that? In addition of course, to the medical development going on....

Nearly all the men I have men so far are engineers of one type or another....it's actually getting boring...LOL!!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post

First , they are told,

Then they are told,

Both are true. But "locals" aren't defined as people who just "live" here. To me this meant people who have roots in the community.

This is because Florida has always had a transient population which makes the natives restless in hiring recent arrivals. Did you just get out of the pokey in TN? Got a bench warrant in NY? Did you illegally kidnap your kids from MI? Are you avoiding child support payments in IL? Did you murder your ex in AL?

Right now with the present job market and economy, if there are jobs available, chances are there many applicants for that posting. And those with local ties will have the advantage to lobby over outsiders for it.

As posted, if you have credentials in specific fields, you will probably fare well -- especially in larger markets (but also where rents will be higher). But as the markets get smaller, there are less skilled positions available and most economies were based on collapsed real estate, construction, retail and tourism -- all now flat, laying off or even closing.

I'm also now starting to see posts by "Chamber" people on these threads, i.e. trying to paint a rosier picture than reality. Others seem posted by retirees who aren't really working and are unaffected.

A good friend of mine just landed a job recently after being out of work for over a year. Only way this happened was the amount of time spent volunteering. Took mind off of problems and created a network of contacts previously unknown. Also did bartering.

I'm glad this thread was started as so many people think the "grass is always greener" so let's move to FL!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 07-14-2009 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 AM

57 posts, read 124,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonresaon View Post
The apartments here are the same as New Jersey or New york metro? What pipe are you smoking!! hehe jk. In all honesty, Cheap apartments 700-1200 are split up rowhomes or houses that rent out bedrooms for 600-800. Roaches. winter draft, portable heaters in most. Old fixtures. Whatch the movie "rocky" and thats what you get for 800-1200 a month. Cost of living is so much cheaper in Orlando .. you know this! you have to be kidding with this statement of same col. Small time jobs are not harder to find. Annerk we have to agree to disgree but I lived in New York,Conn, long island and never New Jersey(thank god). All of your statements are wrong in my humble opinion.. sames taxes? New York? hahaha. jk no really hahaha
LOL...I love this quote. I one hundred percent agree with you jonresaon. Only the rich priviledge have no clue on "real world 101." I totally agree with GAMBLER as well. Now is not the time to move unless its because of job relocation or school. The world revolves around money. If you do not have it, why move. Moving takes alot of money in itself. Anyone who thinks they can get a decent job in Florida by moving without anything lined up...give it a go and see what happens. This ain't (I know its not a word, but sounds cool for the sentence) no Disneyland. Welcome to the real world!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 AM

398 posts, read 729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Both are true. But "locals" aren't defined as people who just "live" here. To me this meant people who have roots in the community.

This is because Florida has always had a transient population which makes the natives restless in hiring recent arrivals. Did you just get out of the pokey in TN? Got a bench warrant in NY? Did you illegally kidnap your kids from MI? Are you avoiding child support payments in IL? Did you murder your ex in AL?

Right now with the present job market and economy, if there are jobs available, chances are there many applicants for that posting. And those with local ties will have the advantage to lobby over outsiders for it.

As posted, if you have credentials in specific fields, you will probably fare well -- especially in larger markets (but also where rents will be higher). But as the markets get smaller, there are less skilled positions available and most economies were based on collapsed real estate, construction, retail and tourism -- all now flat, laying off or even closing.

I'm also now starting to see posts by "Chamber" people on these threads, i.e. trying to paint a rosier picture than reality. Others seem posted by retirees who aren't really working and are unaffected.

A good friend of mine just landed a job recently after being out of work for over a year. Only way this happened was the amount of time spent volunteering. Took mind off of problems and created a network of contacts previously unknown. Also did bartering.

I'm glad this thread was started as so many people think the "grass is always greener" so let's move to FL!
It is amazing to see how many posts I see about people wanting to move here thinking Orlando is a day at the amusement park and ppl encouraging them to do so because Orlando is "great". Well, Orlando is great in many ways but also NOT great in many, many ways. I think we have to be honest to people when it comes to a life changing move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: