Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
It may not have anything directly to do with Orlando, other than this is where the incident took place - but - people like this (sickos) end up moving down here a lot. It's like Orlando (and FL) attracts scumbags.

"In four years, I can't recall a particular geographic region reporting so many [sexual-related incidents] in such a short time span," said Aleatha Ezra, spokeswoman for the World Waterpark Association." -http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-disney-typhoon-lagoon-incident-071709,0,5039276.story
I would be curious to know if she recalls any other geographic region with 1) as many waterparks so close together, and 2) what the relative percentage of offense is as related to other areas.

So what I mean is, if the percentage of attacks is say, 1% of the number of attendees, is that higher or lower than average for other water parks? It could just be the sheer number of persons that are attracted to this area, not only visitors but attackers.

Not an excuse mind you, just an observer looking for data that is non-emotional but scientific in nature. I agree they are pigs and rescidivistic(sp?) pigs at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Agree with Rosie--I think that often "numbers" aren't entirely indicative of the whole picture.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:38 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
you would also have to compare how often this happens at Orlando Disney in the past. Either Disney suddenly got very good at catching people in the last two weeks, or it's been a coincidence that all of these took place at the same time.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 56,026 times
Ew .
Ew .
Ahhhhhhhh and that bus accient was waiting to happen ! I merge onto that road everydayy when im leaving workk those buss's try and merge in like they have th right of way

Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 PM

What Disney needs to just shut the water parks down for three days in order to get a handle on this problem. This has gotten out of hand.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM

I don't see how that would help, the perverts would just move to the resort pools or Wet N' Wild or Aquatica. Maybe you forgot the creep that grabbed the little girl into the bushes at the Swolphin resort pool last year?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't see how that would help, the perverts would just move to the resort pools or Wet N' Wild or Aquatica. Maybe you forgot the creep that grabbed the little girl into the bushes at the Swolphin resort pool last year?
If only for their own selfish sense of self-preservation, they have to do something to prove that they're taking steps to fix the problem, even if it doesn't actually help. I'm sure they've already paid settlements to the recent victims' parents, but if this happens again in a week they could have a huge lawsuit on their hands because there's been a pattern of this happening now and the plaintiffs can say that Disney did nothing about it. Not to mention the horrible PR.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:30 PM

They haven't paid a dime yet. Trust me, nothing at Disney gets done that fast. They haven't even begun to fix the bus involved in the fatal accident back in February yet.

Disney can't be held responsible for the criminal acts of their guests as long as they take reasonable precautions to protect the public, which they do. I know for a fact that they have beefed up security at the waterparks.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Well, here is an article that clarifies some of the details, yes he brought a boy with him that he has been abusing for five years, he is ALSO charged with molesting a different child at the park

http://www.wesh.com/news/20082086/detail.html (broken link)

Quoting from the article...

"The Typhoon Lagoon incident was the fifth attack in a month. The first was at Wet 'N Wild, followed by one at Aquatica and then two more at Typhoon Lagoon.

"Florida is a hot spot for child molestation," psychologist Dr. Deborah Day said. "It has to do with having a lot of child- and family-oriented activities that have easy access to children. It has to do with the length of time that you can be outdoors. We have a climate that keeps us outside more with more access."

So, two fifths of the attacks were not at Disney property. And, the weight of averages are against Florida for this type of attack...easy access, lots of kids, bathing suits, etc.

I would like to know tho, if the Dad of the one kid who is pressing charges, along with the lifeguard saw this pig touching five other kids, why in the world is only one charge being brought? I can only imagine the parents are not pressing charges?! Ugh...I can't imagine...although I would not want to be walking in those shoes and have to decide which is better for my kid.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
I must say this is disgusting....I always hated water parks, and the fact that I have 2 children just the thought....what a sick world we are living in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando