Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,540 times

Advertisements

Hi. I used to live in Lake Mary, Florida (actually Longwood, but on Markham Woods so close to Lake Mary that I went to LMHS). Lake Mary is a really nice area. It has all the typical stores that you would expect, like a giant Target store and the usual chain restaurants. Its pretty quiet and nothing too much ever happens. I moved away back in 2005 so things may have changed with the recession. Back then major employers in the Lake Mary area were large call center places like Convergys, AAA, Bank One...all pretty low paying jobs.

My parents owned a business in Altamonte so I spent a lot of time there. Its nothing really that special. Lake Mary is nicer. Altamonte has more stores because 436 is a bigger busier road going thru to the airport. I also spent a lot of time in Winter Park and Maitland. Winter Park is quaint, expensive, and got some real run down areas that look pretty dangerous. Maitland has a lot of business parks.

I understand crime in Orlando has got real bad, but in Lake Mary the only trouble we had was once our house got robbed. Apart from that, the only trouble I had was as a teenager which I brought on myself and nothing major. Even while going to worse areas, I never had any trouble while I lived in Orlando area. Things may have changed.

There is no point in this post, other to communicate this story. Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebaker12345 View Post
Hi. I used to live in Lake Mary, Florida (actually Longwood, but on Markham Woods so close to Lake Mary that I went to LMHS). Lake Mary is a really nice area. It has all the typical stores that you would expect, like a giant Target store and the usual chain restaurants. Its pretty quiet and nothing too much ever happens. I moved away back in 2005 so things may have changed with the recession. Back then major employers in the Lake Mary area were large call center places like Convergys, AAA, Bank One...all pretty low paying jobs.

My parents owned a business in Altamonte so I spent a lot of time there. Its nothing really that special. Lake Mary is nicer. Altamonte has more stores because 436 is a bigger busier road going thru to the airport. I also spent a lot of time in Winter Park and Maitland. Winter Park is quaint, expensive, and got some real run down areas that look pretty dangerous. Maitland has a lot of business parks.

I understand crime in Orlando has got real bad, but in Lake Mary the only trouble we had was once our house got robbed. Apart from that, the only trouble I had was as a teenager which I brought on myself and nothing major. Even while going to worse areas, I never had any trouble while I lived in Orlando area. Things may have changed.

There is no point in this post, other to communicate this story. Thank you for reading.
If you came back here to see Lake Mary, you'd be suprised how much it has grown. We have alot more stores. If you go over by the Seminole Town Center, it has grown all around it. New restaurants and stores all over. Just to mention a few, Sam's, Super Walmart, Super Target, Marshall's, Smokey Bones, Pollo Tropical, Best Buy and more.
I agree with you too, it is a nice place to live and very safe here. So, where did you move to and why did you leave?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times
i'll be honest, I was pleasantly surprised to read this...
I was expecting the typical "FLORIDA STINKS!!!" type thing...
glad to see this...

Old 07-25-2009, 08:04 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
so when are you moving back?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 PM

133 posts, read 191,241 times
Lake Mary made the "best cities" list.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
i'll be honest, I was pleasantly surprised to read this...
I was expecting the typical "FLORIDA STINKS!!!" type thing...
glad to see this...
Well, not to disappoint. FLORIDA STINKS!!!!! Can't wait to get out of this crime ridden, humid, "diverse," heat filled death trap. Enjoy!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Well, not to disappoint. FLORIDA STINKS!!!!! Can't wait to get out of this crime ridden, humid, "diverse," heat filled death trap. Enjoy!
I don't think anyone is bragging about the weather right now like they always do in December through March...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
I grew up close to Lake Mary. I also lived in Altamonte from 1995 - 2000. Well, just today in the lovely metro of Altamonte, a 13 year old ( who was already on probation!) carjacked a woman w/ 3 kids at a shopping mall at 3:00 in the afternoon. This was the same area where my friend was chased by a group of men when she was trying to walk to her car with some shopping bags. She had to run and dive into the back of her SUV and close the hatch really fast.

I''ve read so many reports of very young kids in Orlando car jacking and robbing people that it doesn't even phase me anymore.

But I can tell you one thing, I don't miss worrying about getting jumped when I go out shopping with my two young boys here in North Georgia. I do miss living close to my parents and brother (they are still in FL) and of course I miss the weather, but I my husband and I have come to the conclusion that we cannot move back there with a family. We thought hard about it recently, but it's all about our children and their future now.

Police: 13-year-old carjacked woman, children, at gunpoint - OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-13-year-old-carjacker-073109,0,4505880.story - broken link)

Last edited by MovedfromFL; 07-31-2009 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times
MovedfromFL, living in N GA is totally different from Orlando - as you know. I wouldnt even think about moving back down to Orlando. Central FL is going downhill fast - and sure you'll meet people on this forum that will say it's untrue, but either they dont want to admit it because they moved here and are defending it because it's a new city to them (I did the same thing when I moved back - swept it under the rug - didnt wanna fess up and say Orlando's crime-ridden), or they are from NYC, Philly, San Juan, etc... and they're just used to it I guess.

The whole "crime happens everywhere" and "that could happen anywhere" gets old and tired. I live in an area (32828 zip) that is middle-upper class I would say. Cars stolen out of driveways, strong arm to person robberies, stabbings, shootings, etc... sure that can happen anywhere - but I live in an area where homes are $300k and $400k. When I lived in Asheville NC, I lived in a middle class apartment complex and we didnt have problems like we do in Orlando. I never saw the cops and now in my area of Orlando, I see cops, helicopters, and hear/read about all the other incidents (like mentioned above).

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
MovedfromFL, living in N GA is totally different from Orlando - as you know. I wouldnt even think about moving back down to Orlando. Central FL is going downhill fast - and sure you'll meet people on this forum that will say it's untrue, but either they dont want to admit it because they moved here and are defending it because it's a new city to them (I did the same thing when I moved back - swept it under the rug - didnt wanna fess up and say Orlando's crime-ridden), or they are from NYC, Philly, San Juan, etc... and they're just used to it I guess.

The whole "crime happens everywhere" and "that could happen anywhere" gets old and tired. I live in an area (32828 zip) that is middle-upper class I would say. Cars stolen out of driveways, strong arm to person robberies, stabbings, shootings, etc... sure that can happen anywhere - but I live in an area where homes are $300k and $400k. When I lived in Asheville NC, I lived in a middle class apartment complex and we didnt have problems like we do in Orlando. I never saw the cops and now in my area of Orlando, I see cops, helicopters, and hear/read about all the other incidents (like mentioned above).
There has never been shootings unless you want to count ONE home invasion where they used guns. the guy who commited the crime only did it for personal reasons so its not 32828's fault. You make it seem like stabbings and grandtheaft happens all the time. Yea one guy was stabbed at a stupid out of hand college party, ONCE. And cars are rarely stolen, you might hear about it once ever 1 or 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando