Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times

Advertisements

Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT) is an organization in the United Statesproviding accreditation to non-university postsecondary colleges. It is a private, non profit accrediting agency with about 800 accredited institutions. How is this weighted against national or the SACS accrediting institutes? What is the final degree worth relatively speaking?

I don't really hold that up to a serious universty accreditation. Will the credits transfer? Can anyone give answers to that half of the question? I am fairly sure they will not. Sallie Mae, it appears, does not give school loans due to the 'accredation' issues with Full Sail.

Again, I am not against this school - I am merely pointing out the pros AND cons of this highly specialized and expensive Institution.

I am personally in a discussion right now with a man whose nephew has graduated Full Sail a year ago and still cannot find work in some sort of engineering, and because of the nature of the accreditation, he cannot get any work in the local government jobs like Lockheed or any of the sim labs, etc. Just food for thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I wouldn't suggest going to Full Sail unless you want a job in the music or film industry, or in computer animation or game design. To do so is just pretty stupid.

Full Sail is great for very specific career choices, but it's not the place to go if you want to be a rocket scientist, I'll give you that.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 8,675 times
Alan K. Director of the F.I.R.S.T. School Orlando, FL. There are several accrediting bodies recognized the Dept. of Education. Accreditation for schools like ours is not so much for the transfer of credits, as it is to become a title 4 school to receive more funding options through the Gov. And, there is a big difference in the type of Accreditation that a State University receives, than a private college. The quality of education will be high, but it is like comparing apples to Oranges, why do you want to transfer credits? What is your main goal for going to a digital media school? Have you researched all of your options, or spoke to a career councilor? Start At First

Last edited by alankay001; 08-18-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankay001 View Post
Alan K. Director of the F.I.R.S.T. School Orlando, FL. There are several accrediting bodies recognized the Dept. of Education. Accreditation for schools like ours is not so much for the transfer of credits, as it is to become a title 4 school to receive more funding options through the Gov. And, there is a big difference in the type of Accreditation that a State University receives, than a private college. The quality of education will be high, but it is like comparing apples to Oranges, why do you want to transfer credits? What is your main goal for going to a digital media school? Have you researched all of your options, or spoke to a career councilor? Start At First
I don't know if I agree that it will be like comparing apples to oranges...I thank you for your clarification on the differences in accreditation. So basically, the school has more funding options, and the student has less in many cases in these instances without a Middlestates accreditation.

I believe that it is important to have the OPTION of credit transfers if only for the case that a school is not what you thought it might be after being there for a year. Or for example, you can't cut the intensity of a curriculum in an area, and may wish to take the other credits to a different insititution for a more standardized type of schedule.

In either case, it is important to know and weight these factors in a decision this important. Again, I am not putting these highly specialized schools down - we have a friend who is a very successful Full Sail graduate! Speaking to a career counselor is great advise! (so long as the counselor is NOT representing any schools in the competition)

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 AM

I agree. In most cases, Gen Ed would be the only credits of transfer. So, if you are going to a college where you are going to take Gen Ed, it might transfer, but it is also up the the college to accept them. Although, if I were going to take Gen Ed classes, I would certainly look into VCC, or other community colleges rather than paying such a high premium at a private school. We offer complete career specific programs, our students do not take Gen Ed courses, nor do we require them. There is a school out there for everyone, it just depends on the needs of the student. Certainly, for careers in Recording Arts, Film and Video, and even Ent. Biz, Education is optional, but highly recommended in today's technology fields. Now, if I am going to pursue an MBA, thats a different story. Even I would tell my kids to start at VCC, transfer to UCF, then transfer again to Rollins, or a school of similar stature.

Last edited by alankay001; 08-18-2009 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankay001 View Post
I'd be very leery of attending a school where the Director can't spell/use proper grammar.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 AM

I am offering info, let's not be petty.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM

I'm not in the education field in any manner.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 11,853 times
My nephew graduated from FullSail about 3yrs ago, took him a while but he got a job with Tyler Perry in Atlanta and after his working for almost free for a year or so, he is finally getting some great income and loves the job he is doing. So, dont get discouraged if thats what you want to do but just know it takes a while to get a job in the field, not right out of school.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadams6 View Post
My nephew graduated from FullSail about 3yrs ago, took him a while but he got a job with Tyler Perry in Atlanta and after his working for almost free for a year or so, he is finally getting some great income and loves the job he is doing. So, dont get discouraged if thats what you want to do but just know it takes a while to get a job in the field, not right out of school.
That is somewhat depressing, knowing the high price of the education there. And then he had to work for free for over a year before generating any sort of income! I guess it just goes to show there are no shortcuts. One puts in one's time one way or another Either throught school or interning! Glad he is finally doing what he loves to do !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando