Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times

Advertisements

If it's a shopping trip that I need just about everything, I read the ads 1st then hit Walmart 1st.

I'm lucky enought that if I go to the Superwalmart, I pass WinnDixie and Publix on they way back. They're even on the same corner.

I tend to do this early in the morning so the crowds and lines aren't that long.

Target's lack of selection of the items I buy on a constant basis ends up annoying me so I rarely do my regular shopping there.

You'll eventually find the one that you're the most comfortable with. Welcome to Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Target's store brand Archer Farms is also rated at the bottom in every comparison I read in Consumer Reports on taste. I don't have a chart to back that up, just remembering several times when I was reading and saying, wow, Archer Farms again rated pretty low.

However, as a store for everything besides food I love Target and always shop there over Wal-Mart. For food, it's Publix all the way.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:57 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
I don't buy anything Target brand...ick. I buy their produce (at least the one in SoDo is very nice, so not sure about others), their meats, my protein stuff, yogurt, cereal, etc... I save a fortune there. I do get frustrated too at times that they have very little selection (and carry very little of what selection they do have). The Wal-Mart stores around me are......well I can only think of one and it is on 436 by the airport. No thanks.

I remember loving Kroger up in Nashville but then a Publix opened across the street from it and there's just no comparison. Publix is a fantastic store - again the one I shop at on South Orange.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM

133 posts, read 191,338 times
The new Super Walmarts are great for cheaper prices on detergents, any and all cleaning products, also chips, cookies and all canned goods. Publix is much higher on these items. I buy all our meat, fish and produce at Publix.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I have already stated in places before that I prefer Target and Publix, prices aside. I have noticed that Winn Dixie is cheaper, but my biggest complaint with Winn-Dixie is that if the location is not that busy, items in the store sit there for a while and often are close to their expiration date. I think the turn around is much higher at Publix or Walmart because they are busier in general.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I have already stated in places before that I prefer Target and Publix, prices aside. I have noticed that Winn Dixie is cheaper, but my biggest complaint with Winn-Dixie is that if the location is not that busy, items in the store sit there for a while and often are close to their expiration date. I think the turn around is much higher at Publix or Walmart because they are busier in general.
I kind of noticed that too with Winn-Dixie meat. I live alone, so I end up buying meat and freezing it. Sometimes, I get lazy and wait a day or two (or three) to freeze it only to discover that the expiration date was the date I bought the product.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
Not relative to the Orlando area, but here in Clayton, NC (before the store AND warehouse closed down), I always noticed half the cheese on Winn Dixie's shelves were moldy.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Winn-Dixie is more convenient if your going to get a few things but I would go with Walmart for going food shopping, the one on State Road 535 had more of a selection and the food was cheaper than the food in Winn-Dixie, it was cleaner than Winn-Dixie too. Food that costs $3 to $4 in NY costed $1 in that Walmart.

I've never been to Publix before.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
PeteC & blueoktober - Please don't write off ALL Archer Farms products.

The blue corn tortilla chips and the frozen, bacon wrapped scallops are both to die for!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I actually like a lot of the Archer Farms products. I have gotten some weird ones and not so good ones as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando