U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 13,044 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon friends,

As we are soon to be flying out to our favourite holiday destination and have relatives tagging along for the first time, can anyone advise if church street has re-opened?

Just thought the idea of rock n roll in one bar the country next door would be appealing for them however, we had heard some time ago that it was closed for refurbishment.

Thanks for your time.

Jo & Bernie - Bham UK
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM

631 posts, read 2,289,883 times
Church Street Station is gone. They tried to open Cheyenne Saloon last year and it has already closed again. The place is a hodge-podge of bars (College kids doing shots kind of bars) and restaurants and a 55 Story Condo building that has sat empty for 3 years now (in foreclosure again?). Howl At The Moon is gone too.

I worked at Church Street Station in 1991 for a year and it was a blast, but those days are forever gone.

There's a gay themed restaurant called Hamburger Marys that is quite popular, and Ceviche Tapas across the street. Some other new place opened, but that's it as far as I know.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM

2,161 posts, read 4,585,833 times
If you have a group of different aged people that you need to cater to, I would just take them to CityWalk at Universal. There there are tons of bars and restaurants to choose from and will not offend anyone. Don't miss Rising Star for karaoke with a talented live band. Downtown Orlando is great, however you have to know what you are getting into and where to go...it is pretty raucous down there on the weekends and will not appeal to everyone.

55 West is open for rental now btw...people are moving in as we speak.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 13,044 times
Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,789,080 times
berniej1309 - I you guys would like a laid back, more casual vibe in a cool neighborhood setting check out Thornton Park just to the East of Downtown. Great, safe, strollable neighborhood with lot's of options - most with terrace or sidewalk seating.

I know it isn't what you specifically asked for, but most people that check it out fall in love with this little area.

Have fun on holiday!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM

631 posts, read 2,289,883 times
That's great to hear 55 West is finally open! I remember when they closed The Sharper Image (Right beside Amura) and opened the Sales Center in..... 2001!! It's been 8 years since that thing was announced!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,585,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
berniej1309 - I you guys would like a laid back, more casual vibe in a cool neighborhood setting check out Thornton Park just to the East of Downtown. Great, safe, strollable neighborhood with lot's of options - most with terrace or sidewalk seating.

I know it isn't what you specifically asked for, but most people that check it out fall in love with this little area.

Have fun on holiday!
+1 to that. Thornton Park is great, and I would also add Park Avenue/Hannibal Square in Winter Park to that list if you like to walk along a street of nice original restaurants, a few bars, and upscale retail. Thornton Park and Park Ave are not tourist Orlando. Hit the 'Wine Room on Park Avenue' for the largest selection of pay-per-taste wines in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando