Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:36 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It really goes to show that Florida simply cannot support the bubble in real estate. We can get away with paying our techs 10.00 an hour and we had someone with a MASTER"S degree in engineering apply, we hired him and he earns more now, but it's amazing how little money people will work for. How in the world do they do it?
Let me clarify that she basically took the $10/h job because there was nothing else available. But she has no experience and yes, she has a Master's Degree, but no work exp. In FL, there are such a surplus of workers that companies only pick people with a ton of exp, who are willing to work for pennies on the Dollar.

I am serious the job markets in South and Central Florida are terrible. My allumini meeting really sealed my decision to move out of Florida and start fresh. I did not want to have to be stuck at a job forever because there is no way to change jobs or go up in pay or get health insurance or have more than 3 days off per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazui View Post
11 resumes in 2 days.It seems incredible for me!I'm afraid that when I find the job,it wil be more difficult!
I am calling Heather (the Paralegal who was leaving and was scheduling the interviews) and get a final tally (if any more applicants applied for the job) and make sure they hired that girl for $20,000/year. I wonder if the girl stayed or not. $20,000/year for a graduate Paralegal is awfully low and with the cost of living as it is right now, it is hard to tell if she is going to crack and then leave town.

I will update on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM

239 posts, read 799,539 times
Default Add it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Getting back to CENTRAL FLORIDA...

...as a graduate of UCF ('05) I can understand why the job market is bad in that area. Think about it. You have THOUSANDS of new grads filling the market every May. Most of these 'kids' are not going back home because they want to make it in Orlando. Businesses can get away with those ridiculously low salaries because they have more than enough takers.

Also, those in the service industry in that area have the right idea- I mean it is Orlando afterall. I would say that for new grads, you should have researched before graduating and you should have left yourself open to relocation after college. And for those psych majors- you mean to tell me they couldn't buck it up and apply at community mental health agencies?? Those places are ALWAYS hiring.
Factor in grads from Rollins, Stetson, USF and the University of Tampa, and you have about 4 people for every job. I get resumes from all of these schools on a weekly basis. And not all undergrad...many are graduate or postbacc students.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:23 PM

33 posts, read 98,919 times
There is a company called the moving doctors they do alot of business for families moving out and in florida you might want to call them they are based out of the north but they are always in florida I used them for my move to florida no problems I am planning on calling them when I leave Florida

Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Do you know WHY you get treated like crap when you apply in Orlando?? Because they have more people/applicants than they have jobs! It is simple math. If you are an employer and you post an ad and you get like 30 resumes in a week, will you treat applicants with respect?? Are you concerned if you offend an applicant? Do you wnat to offer any benefits?

Of course not. You will go through all resumes, pick at least 15 and some poor desperate sucker will take the job for whatever you offer him/her, with no benefits.
I know what you mean. I had a heck of a time finding something in my field when I moved here three years ago. I would answer ads from the paper and online or would get calls from people who had come across my resume on different websites. Most..if not all of these jobs listed every qualification needed and I had all of those qualifications so I felt pretty good about an interview. Instead...nothing. No call backs, no emails...just crickets chirping loudly. When I would try to follow up they would always say they hadn't made a decision about the job yet or something to that effect. Very frustrating I can tell you.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:48 AM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I have gotten that same " we haven't made a decision" excuse as well. I can't wait to get out of here!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 PM

239 posts, read 799,539 times
Default Because

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I have gotten that same " we haven't made a decision" excuse as well. I can't wait to get out of here!

That's because they really are not hiring. They are pumping you for info on your company (their competition). Happens all the time - much more than people know.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 AM

123 posts, read 553,430 times
Well, I work in the Hospitality industry in NH and have an Associate's Degree in Travel & Tourism.
I am a Manager @ A resort in Northern, NH. My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate for either Orlando (his choice) or somewhere in NC (my choice). We both work @ Hotels/Resorts. He makes $13.50 an hour. Me, a little less, but I get lots of bene's that he doesn't (health/dental/401k/life/2wks vaca/personal/sick, etc.)
I am worried about relocating to Orlando because from what I have read, pay isn't great. I am worried about moving from here to get a good paying job more relative to cost of living, and moving somewhere that it stays the same.
This post makes me worry even more. I have a friend that lives in NC and claims their market in Wonston-Salem is 'crazy good' as she put it. I am worried anywhere I go will take me forever to find a job and I will sink into financial ruin. When we move I won't have a car payment, it will be paid off, so it can't be all too bad. But these posts scare me.....

Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 AM

123 posts, read 553,430 times
The idea of 'flat land' and low paying jobs isn't very enticing!
I do like the mountains and scenery...

Maybe Florida isn't for me!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM

88 posts, read 264,774 times
Default Orlando vs. North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
The idea of 'flat land' and low paying jobs isn't very enticing!
I do like the mountains and scenery...

Maybe Florida isn't for me!
Chicy724,
There's much talk in Orlando about going to NC where there's JOBS and not only that, they pay decent. DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB! It's all hype for Disney, after all we thrive off of tourist dollars. Heck, they just voted on a venue for a downtown sports arena 2 days ago, plus an Arts center so even now more than ever ORLANDO WILL STEP UP THE MARKETING since it's being paid for by TOURISM. Nobody will admit to the true job market here. That's why we're on here to HELP everyone contemplating a move.....what's that Star Trek saying? "Go where no man has gone before." I'm going places I've never been before in this town/job market....it is beyond HORRIBLE. MOONBEAM

Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 PM

170 posts, read 753,466 times
A Modern Parable

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando