Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times

Advertisements

My story...many of you know, we moved here because my husband was offered a job that was a good career move with a substantial increase in pay, so we decided to move from a large company, to a rather small, riskier company to try it. He just had his one year anniversary with the company and we have been in Florida for 6 months. (6 months he commuted).

I began to look for a job in earnest right after Thanksgiving,....I put out about a dozen application in local dental offices that had not necessarily placed ads...but I wanted to stay local, so I did that first. I did get one interview from that, but it was for a satellite office on 50 and Alafaya...( I live in Oviedo) ...so 1) not happy with that drive, and 2) not really the job I was seeking. Then, I answered about 4 ads on line. I got a call for an interview, went right in, and was asked to go for a working interview, and have been working ever since. Same pay as up north, and salary will be increased as my skills work through the training chart - as I will be doing more things than I did up north.

My job....dental assistant...annual salary for a 40 hour week...about 31,000 to 38,000 per year. About the same as up north...Spanish is not required in all offices...I have seen ads where it is preferred...and I can understand that. Can't treat a patient if you cannot understand them....so....

Now, I DO UNDERSTAND that certain markets have been particularly hard hit in Florida, as well as nationwide...housing, credit and finacial services...etc... however, I see some of these posts....and I have to wonder...how did your interview go? Were you positive? Did you smile, sit up straight, have eye contact? Shake your interviewer's hand? Thank them afterwards? Did you ask intelligent questions...give good answers..or did you say ...uhuh...nah...I dunno... Did you use complete sentences and good grammar? Did you dress nicely? For crying out loud, I wore a suitjacket to my interview for a dental assistant job!! I am, after all trying to make an impression.

I am being serious. These are all things that need consideration when you are out looking for a job, and trying to get that job over everyone else.

And once you have that job, it doesn't stop there. Do you know what my new boss said of me last week? He said, I have been doing great...they have been looking for someone like me for 2 years, since their last full time girl retired. 2 YEARS they have been trying to hire someone...and it has not been working out....I think people have lost thier work ethic somewhere along the line...they think they can just show up and get a check...you agree to do a job for an amount...do the best job you can!! If you think you are worth more...continue doing the best job you can, while seeking more elsewhere...OR...try asking for a raise after doing your best for a while...you just might get it! If you do your best, THEN you become valuable....you are not valuable first...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM

155 posts, read 196,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
My job....dental assistant...annual salary for a 40 hour week...about 31,000 to 38,000 per year.
Wow, that is horrible pay. The pay is so low in Orlando.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
That's not bad at all for Orlando, especially you have an employed SO.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
I see you've returned, Daily Journalist.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

31-28k is not that low ESPECIALLY with another income in the family.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-18-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I believe it. I tried getting a job in 2008. I put in over 1000 applications (literally) and got ONE interview.

How does one find a 1000 jobs to apply for in a specific field?

Maybe the employers knew you weren't qualified and were just sending out a generic resume to anything that was offering a job?

No wonder.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
I saw this posting on the message board today thinking it was a new post that was just very possible. Then I looked at the date of the original posting. 2007!!! Wow. I don't remember the job market being like this in spring 2007. I guess Florida was already in the dumps before the rest of the company went under...

Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I saw this posting on the message board today thinking it was a new post that was just very possible. Then I looked at the date of the original posting. 2007!!! Wow. I don't remember the job market being like this in spring 2007. I guess Florida was already in the dumps before the rest of the company went under...
No, it wasn't this bad, but it was getting there. I think the OP's case was more his issue than the overall state of things at the time.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Quote:

Wow...for one, I think it is not bad pay, for a trade...I never had to go to school for it...and for two, it is the same pay up north...so...I like it...flexible hours...I have worked it part time for 11 years...just going back full time now. Not even....35 hours really. And, it is a second income, as mentioned...so ...not bad for gravy on top of the the bacon the hubby brings home

Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 23,200 times
Quote:
I make $29,000 in the same position as Parrotrosie. My cousin in Connecticut makes about $45,000 in the same position. "sigh", maybe someday if I can save up enough money to move North..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando