Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
It's true Jammie, my daughter makes anywhere between $500-$1000 a week at Timpano's on Sand Lake. I guess not everyone is willing to wait tables or physically able to do so. It can be hard work with long hours. I also hate to say it but some of these restaurants are really biased on who they hire...so just another employer who is too selective with too many candidates.
restaurants (some-not all) want a certain "look" My neighbors daughter aged 24-attractive.... worked at Bushs seafood (a decent, upscale) restaurant in Delray. She gained a little weight and was told she didnt have the right look for the market.

I mean that is what the tourism industry is. Thats fine when you are 25 to deal with that. In Tampa we went to an IHOP thats where most of the over 40 waitresses were relegated to work, sad but true. I guess you could say it is the same mentality as So Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Exclamation lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Oh yeah. The restaurants only wnat to hire buff guys and hot girls. That helps maintain a clientelle.

But really, even if you wait tables, not everyone can do thata nd what happens to the rest of us? I am one of the most profitable workers in my company and still, no reward, no wage increase.

Mind you, these are hardcore Liberal Democrats I work for (you know, the guys who preach treating others better an providing poor people with services and yet do NOT do anything to make any of the worker's life better... you know typical liberals.... very hypocritical).

NG- its just proof that discrimination is alive and well in S Florida. At Auslin Legal staffing (mind you a supposed profession) people were sent on interviews by my friend, who was a placement exec. The law firms would actually comment if someone was "not a good fit" or didnt "decorate the office"- The labor force in Fl has no rights and this nonsense continues as there is no way to prove it/no law against it.

wow.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:54 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Exclamation Another 1!

1 more resume. So far we have 14 interviews already set-up! More to come.

I think the boss is going to ffer less than $20,000/year or see if anyone will take less. Mind you, the initial offer of wage was $23,000, now $20,000... maybe less now?!? The sheer # of applicants are lowering the wage!!!

Then he will drive off in his brand new BMW with a "Obama '08" sticker on it.

A perfect liberal hypocrite. >_<

See why I am so angry at the illegal aliens and invasions of people?? This is the result of such policies. And guys like Obama living in an Ivory tower want open borders and illegal alien amnesties and then every American regular person will suffer with low wages.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
restaurants (some-not all) want a certain "look" My neighbors daughter aged 24-attractive.... worked at Bushs seafood (a decent, upscale) restaurant in Delray. She gained a little weight and was told she didnt have the right look for the market.

I mean that is what the tourism industry is. Thats fine when you are 25 to deal with that. In Tampa we went to an IHOP thats where most of the over 40 waitresses were relegated to work, sad but true. I guess you could say it is the same mentality as So Cal.
I completely agree with everything you said. A friend of mine started off working at Planet Hollywood (it is the holy grail of restaurant jobs according to most servers) -she was making up to a grand a night then she got pregnant with her first child and was let go after a few after she started to show. She now works for Perkins making $100 a night. (However, that $100 a night is pretty good compared to some jobs that people with degrees are getting). Is this blatant discrimination even legal?

Nirvana - I am very glad we have found something we agree on! I hope after you leave the state that you don't leave us Florida people her on the board - I always have fun with your posts, even the ones I don't agree with!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:33 PM

83 posts, read 953,847 times
Where do you work?, can you give me a job. I was thinking about taking a teaching job down there for only 33K. Our economy is truly messed-up when someone who waits tables makes more than a teacher! No offense, but you have to understand that most teachers go through alot of hoops and five years of college or more to even be considered for a job.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
HMMM, every day it seems like the midwest looks better and better to me. We don't have an over abundance of jobs, but it's always been possible to find work here. And that goes for every profession whether general, skilled, or professional. Our homes cost a fraction of what homes cost in Florida and our taxes and insurance are nothing compared to yours.

Here's an example~in the late 70s a couple we knew were building a new house. They ended up getting a divorce and desperately wanted to get rid of that house just to get some of their $$ out of it and go on with their lives. There was still a lot of work that had to be done on the inside, but we bought that house for $12,000. Of course, we stuck nearly that same amount into it because we added a large garage to it and did the painting and trim work inside. They had almost everything bought and in the house. The carpet was there, but was still on the rolls, the furnace and water heater were there, just not hooked up yet. Of course the lawn was awful so that also took a lot of work. We didn't mind at all because we were still quite young then. The taxes on a home like that are 900 a year. Insurance is under 200 a year. We got a fantastic deal, but it isn't an isolated situation up here.

You can still find apartments to rent for 300 a month. They aren't too great, but for 500 you can live in a very nice apartment.

Sorry, I didn't have time to finish. LOL Of course the prices up here are a bit different today. But you can still find some very nice homes in smaller towns for under 50,000. Even in the larger towns 100,000 still buys a very nice house.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:35 AM

30 posts, read 126,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OK, I guess this somewhat answered my question. I realize that after people have sacrificed and have college loans to repay, they probably aren't too excited about doing this. BUT if people are really desperate, why don't they wait tables until they find something in their chosen profession? It may not be ideal, but the tips have got to be good in a lot of Orlando restaurants. Isn't that much better then not having any money?
Beats me. When I was 16, working at a movie theater, a coworker asked if I could drop him off at Denny's, where his girl friend worked. I did. He told me to come on it, and I could probably score something free to eat. She mentioned to him that they were pretty busy, and she made like $75 in tips. As a dude who was getting paid $130ish a week to rip tickets, that boggled my mind. I've gone from restaurant to restaurant always moving slight up, to the point now where I expect about 150-200 a night in tips average when I work(2-4 nights a week). Hell, your average Chilis/Apple Bees/Chevys near disney, I-drive or UCF is good for an easy $100+ on almost any night. Some just have the opinion that they can't and won't wait tables. I know a handful of very attractive college girls who have to problem wearing a bikini to the beach, some tiny sports bra to the gym or dressing like a ***** when they go to clubs, but refuses to even THINK about being a shot girl downtown where they can make 200-500 a night. If I was girl I sure as hell would be doing that.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another guy View Post
I know a handful of very attractive college girls who have to problem wearing a bikini to the beach, some tiny sports bra to the gym or dressing like a ***** when they go to clubs, but refuses to even THINK about being a shot girl downtown where they can make 200-500 a night. If I was girl I sure as hell would be doing that.
Show girls are some of the few people who make money in Central Florida, other than Disney execs, Realtors, Insurance company CEOs, rip-off/scam artists, and ambulance-chasing lawyers.

Shoot, if I was a girl I would be a showgirl as well. I am tired of killing myself working non-stop to make close to nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James9283 View Post
Where do you work?, can you give me a job. I was thinking about taking a teaching job down there for only 33K. Our economy is truly messed-up when someone who waits tables makes more than a teacher! No offense, but you have to understand that most teachers go through alot of hoops and five years of college or more to even be considered for a job.
James:

I know of a job in a restaurant name Shiki downtown. You need to call, as there are NOT very many jobs in Orlando.

If you wnat an office job, you will get paid a LOT less than $33,000 a year. Expect to get something like $20,000 or so a year (no benefits). Even if you work as like a business adminsitrator guy in a large company, expect to amke $30,000 MAXIMUM!!

NOTE: we have a girl who has called 4 times just this morning as she is so desperate for a job and has faxed her resume like twice already (just this morning). People, that is a bad idea. If you show desperation, the offered wage will soon be $15,000!!! The owners keep joking about how many resumes they are getting and who the "big winner" will be!! Makes me mad, these are people, everyone needs a job in this town and good ones are very far and in between.

Our resume tally is at 21 now. For ONE crappy job. My God, how will these people eat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Nirvana - I am very glad we have found something we agree on! I hope after you leave the state that you don't leave us Florida people her on the board - I always have fun with your posts, even the ones I don't agree with!
Hi CMJ:

I won't leave the FL board after my move, because I refuse to let people from out of state move down here, blind and only hearing the good from realtors. It is like watching sheep walk into the slaughterhouse.

Hell must have frozen over! We agreed on something!! hahaha

Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 AM

24 resumes so far.... Just so you know, the ad was placed Friday evening (after hours). It is only Wed mroning now.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 AM

131 posts, read 577,895 times
Did you say this job opening was for someone with a degree or without? Am I really supposed to think that the "hype" given on Wired and various other mags (listed proudly on the business orlando site) is really a bunch of bs or are their two Orlandos?

I know I belonged to the have nots in 02 when I was layed off from a company that notoriously layed off yearly (I didn't learn this until after I had moved, signed a non compete and was gently told by an IBM employee I had chosen the wrong IBM partner to work with). Anyhow, I was untouchable due to my non compete and finally got a great job 6 months after unemployment but still ended up leaving when my husband was layed off as a designer in Kissimmee. I was pregnant and we cashed out of our house- walked away with money in the bank and a sense of failure.

We're actively pursuing Orlando again. This time I work for a global company that doesn't routinely lay off and if they did, I'd be given the chance to take a different job and move if need be, but stay employed.

I worries me to see the disparity. However, I also know I am incredibly aggressive and employable. My husband is more laid back and less aggressive so he'll have a harder time in the sea of "East coaster". I grew up in CT so I know cut throat business I guess. I think Orlando is like that for the job market and JAX seems laid back still.

Who knows.. but I really am sad to know what I started making out of college in 93' is the norm for the job posting your talking about.. that's really sad. I couldn't make it on 60k and I know that is high by a lot of standards. I should rephrase that, I can make it on 60k but there would be no nice house, no eating out, no clothes shopping except at cheapest places, no organic food etc.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando