Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM

258 posts, read 811,980 times

Advertisements

I have a 2/2 condo and my OUC bill is about $75 in the middle of summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
We're going to install a timer on our electric water heater in hopes that this will help it go down some. I'm not interested in paying more for my electricity each month than I do on my truck payment!
That is a good first step, but seriously, you need to have your HVAC system checked. Including your ducts and registers to make sure they are not leaking.

There is some excellent information here about improving your energy efficiency.

Need to replace your HVAC system?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Something's wrong. Mine is 900 square feet and poorly insulated, and the bill is a little over $100 a month. I keep the temp at 76-78 degrees. Call the company and explain the situation.
My situation is pretty much the same. I have 1100 square feet, poor isulation, and pay around $140. I keep my temp the same as yours. I have OUC.

I definitely think the Original Poster call for a utility check. Sounds like there may be something wrong with your duct work or meter itself. They may even refund some of your previous payments.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,500 times
GloryB, I called KUA and asked for one of their free audits, and they told me the soonest they can do it is October! By then, the a/c need will have mostly diminished, so a lot of good that'll probably do.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
GloryB, I called KUA and asked for one of their free audits, and they told me the soonest they can do it is October! By then, the a/c need will have mostly diminished, so a lot of good that'll probably do.
Probably b/c so many ppl are complaining about it.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM

That's what I figured, too!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,212 times
Quote:
Just curious if anybody else's bill seems to have gone sky-high? We kept our thermostat set between 80-82 (we changed to the much higher setting about 2 1/2 months ago when it started getting really hot), and yet our bill just continued to climb out of control. I just got our bill for nearly $500! Last year about this same time, I was paying more like $300 and not doing anything differently. Our house is tiny, between 1500-1600 sf, so I don't understand what the problem is. Did KUA raise their rates without informing the customers? I knew that Orlando's utility service had raised theirs, but I hadn't heard about KUA. I do know that when the economy is this bad and so many people are hurting as it is, that it seems like the stupidest thing they could do is make your utilities less affordable!
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose KUA bill is through the roof this month!!! This month it was $100 more than last month and there is no reason it should be. My house is very small--1100 sf and I keep the AC at 80. I checked KUA's website and it stated (as of July) there were no increases planned. Then, at work I heard someone asking "does anyone have KUA?" so my ears perked up and he said his bill was $450! I'm going to do some more digging and see if I can find out who to write to to find out what's going on. People can barely afford to stay in their homes and now they're going to have to worry about having power cut off or pay the rent/mortgage.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Let me know if you find out anything please. It sounds like many of us have unquestionable bills! I have a friend with a tiny house whose bill was way out of line, because they were on vacation for 10 days and had their a/c cranked up to 86º!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,082 times
I have lived in my kissimmee home for 10 years. For some reason the cost of the electricity went way up this year. My last 2 power bills were just under 400.00!! The previous year my highest bill was never over 275.00. Did they increase the cost of power? I am going to sell this house because of the extremely high power bills. It is absolutly crazy....How much do the employees get paid there?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,269 times
Increase in rates.

Florida Gives Progress Energy OK To Up Rates - Money News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/money/19517817/detail.html - broken link)

and now asking for more.

FP&L, Progress Energy Ask For Base Rate Increase - Money News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/money/20449198/detail.html - broken link)

FPL begins quest for rate increases today | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

To get Progress to come and walk through your house

Progress Energy - Save the Watts -

A good site to save on Electricity and to understand what you spend:

Saving Electricity: How to Save Electricity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando