Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,040 times

Advertisements

I too found a beautiful home there for an unreal price. I know about the Chinese Drywall and felt okay about gutting it and replacing the drywall.
I don't have to worry about getting a job.
My concern is that someone called the area a Ghetto.....
It is an area where the development has not been finished so lots of empty lots which is also fine by me.
It there some sort of crime, violence, gangs..why a Ghetto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM

30 posts, read 50,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBound65 View Post
I too found a beautiful home there for an unreal price. I know about the Chinese Drywall and felt okay about gutting it and replacing the drywall.
It is an area where the development has not been finished so lots of empty lots which is also fine by me.
I have been looking at homes to buy also and all the areas with low priced houses have turned out to be ghettos such a shame they are very nice houses some as new as the eightys Where I come from you cant even buy the building lot for the price they are asking. Please tell me where is your ghetto so I can put it on my list.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM

55 posts, read 107,351 times
Chinese Drywall map. Find Homes With Tainted Drywall - ProPublica Add your findings there, yeah it should be a legal requirement to mention this in the Trulia or other realtor listings. The market will stay in the toilet until things are weeded out or other buyers take a chance and spend to gut the places and fix them up.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,040 times
Default Ghetto??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaurino View Post
I have been looking at homes to buy also and all the areas with low priced houses have turned out to be ghettos such a shame they are very nice houses some as new as the eightys Where I come from you cant even buy the building lot for the price they are asking. Please tell me where is your ghetto so I can put it on my list.

The area I was talking about is Lehigh Acres, home built in 2004 and after, they just didn't finish the large development area. Someone on here said there is a lot of crime and called it a Ghetto just wondered what it is like there from people who call it home.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM

18 posts, read 31,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBound65 View Post
Read the info at the sites I posted earlier on this thread. Unfortunately, the solution in most cases requires much more than simply replacing the drywall.

The issue is that the drywall is corrosive, and over time it will damage metal surfaces including the copper wiring in the walls. I know in certain extreme cases, they have had to gut (or even flatten) the entire home!

Please carefully read the remediation steps in the links I posted so you can ensure there are no lingering effects.

I's been awhile since I last looked into this issue, but I believe that you may be able to get some governmental assistance in cleaning up the issue as well.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 988 times
Default Chinese dry wall

How do i find out if a house im renting has chinese drywalll??????
Landlord says no but smells terrible
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohynot View Post
i've been reading about problems with newer homes being built with a inferior drywall made in china. It gives off a toxic gas and can make residents ill.

Has this been a problem with newer homes in the woodmere/independence area?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,455 times
look at Air conditioner coils and Electrical outlets

https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Educa...oblem-drywall/

"Does your home smell like rotten eggs or ammonia (sometimes a sweetish smell)? Is it more noticeable when
entering your home and then seems to dissipate? The level of odor varies greatly in each home as does each
person’s ability to detect the odor. Of course, the strength of the odor also depends on how much drywall was
used in the home. Significantly, some homeowners report no smell, but their home clearly has Chinese drywall.
In short, do not rely on your nose alone, particularly since many develop olfactory fatigue after being exposed to
Chinese drywall.

One of the telltale signs is corrosion/pitting of the air conditioner evaporator coils (which are located inside the air
handler). Many owners are first advised of a freon leak, and as the corrosion progresses, evaporator coils
eventually need replacement. An examination of the coils typically (but not always) reveal a black sooty deposit,
which may also appear on the freon line. Chinese drywall also corrodes electrical wiring. After turning off the
power (please be careful as you could get shocked), check the electrical receptacles in your walls to see if the
ground wires are blackened. The wires in this photo have been corroded from Chinese drywall. Since many
homes have mixeddrywall (i.e., good and bad drywall), not all ground wires will show blackening. There are also
cases that are not clear cut so please consult a qualified inspector.

Signs of an electrical problem include a circuit breaker which frequently needs resetting without an apparent
cause (particularly a GFCI or AFCI); lights that flicker without any apparent cause; bright flashes or sparks
anywhere in your electrical system (this may indicate arcing conditions in the wiring); buzzing from electrical
systems, switch plates, dimmers and outlet covers that are discolored from overheating; and a smell from
overheating plastic. See Florida Department of Health Case Definition for Drywall Associated Corrosion in
Residences."

Welcome to Chinesedrywall.com

Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM

152 posts, read 221,660 times
On TV, WINK news did a story re: potential Chinese drywall in an ADAMS Home built in 2007. The news story indicated that ADAMS said, the problem in the home was related to high sulfur in the water (well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando