Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,404,753 times

Advertisements

Are the munitions really that big of an issue? Have they found anymore since the initial group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,868,057 times
There are several areas of concern and they are searching extensively to eliminate the risk. I haven't heard of any more being found. I think it was January they were looking at Azalea Park.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM

228 posts, read 537,253 times
Here is a recent article about the issue.
Bombing range: School district sues engineers -- OrlandoSentinel.com

I'd say it's a big issue. These people will probably never be able to sell their homes, unless after all the law suits they get there money back (highly unlikely).

Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 PM

239 posts, read 468,174 times
This bomb issue in the Vista Lakes area is a whole lot of garbage. In the past year they have built a new kidergarden school and are in the process of completing a new church. My question is this, if there where any real risk in this area, would they be allowed to build a new school anbd church???

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 PM

88 posts, read 312,461 times
I agree....it is totally overblown. Just make sure the water is tested regularly.

The thought of there being 'imminent danger' from one of those devices is ridiculous.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,215,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Here is a recent article about the issue.
Bombing range: School district sues engineers -- OrlandoSentinel.com

I'd say it's a big issue. These people will probably never be able to sell their homes, unless after all the law suits they get there money back (highly unlikely).
I live in the area. A year ago there were consistently 33 homes for sale at any given time. Today - there is 1 - all the others have sold. Of course, people have and will sell their homes. The issue is way overblown by the media.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I live in the area. A year ago there were consistently 33 homes for sale at any given time. Today - there is 1 - all the others have sold. Of course, people have and will sell their homes. The issue is way overblown by the media.
In early 2008, roughly 40% of the homes were in foreclosure because the homeowners just walked away. They may have sold (by the bank), but I bet it was for pennies on the dollar.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,714,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
In this quote from the linked article

"To date: Army Corps has spent more than $10ƒ|million and removed 14 tons of bomb debris and more than 400 live bombs and rockets on school site and in nearby neighborhoods. "

I find that to be quite serious. I sincerely hope and pray that they have made a serious effort this time around to clear that area of LIVE BOMBS and munitions this time, as they obviously did no such thing the first time around. I want the schools to be safe for our children and people's invstments in their homes to be both safe and financially sound. I was totally unaware of this issue, and as a new person to this area, I don't know if I would have been aware of that issue as a buyer.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 AM

I somewhat agree the media has blown it out of portion, but media aside look at the facts. Also it is not the entire subdivision, just homes located near the bombing range. I guess it depends on your definition of a "real issue". The fact they evacuated homes to denotate live ammunition found underground and now 500 homeowners are involved with class-action law suits, makes me think it's a real issue. To the OP, do a google search on the issue and let us know what you think.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM

266 posts, read 1,162,678 times
If there were any live munitions left, I wish those stupid armadillos would dig into them! They're diggin' holes in the yard and the deer are eatin' my hibiscus! Think I'm gonna join the NRA! Ha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: