Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 AM

14 posts, read 53,612 times

Advertisements

Ok, lots of threads involving rural living around Orlando. I will post my situation, and desires and hope some of you can recommend areas to search for homes.

My family and I are relocating from Savannah GA to Orlando. There are 3 of us, myself, my wife and our 10 y/o daugher. We also have a golden retriever and 3 cats. I will be working at the Lockheed Facility on Sand Lake Rd or possibly near the Airport on Tradeport. I am currently in Iraq, so we have time, and the relocation is not definite, but most likely.

We currently live in a very rural area, in a small sub-division. We have a small house, 1600 sq ft on a 1/2 acre waterfront lot on a 500 acre lake. We have several kayaks, a 30ft motorhome and a 27ft boat which we currently keep at a Marina about 20 min away. I love Salt water fishing.

My wife loves to garden and even though we live on the water, she has a 2000 gallon pond. I am sure she will want to bring her two turtles and Koi with her.

I am looking for similar style living, but in a larger house, aprox 2000 sq ft.. Waterfront is not required, as I realize this will raise the home price to extremes. We wanted to avoid the gated community with massive rules envroment, but we still want a nice area. I would like to have property large enough to keep the boat and motorhome on, possibly under a pole barn or similar.

Boating and kayaking around Orlando is not a problem, I realize that. I also do not mind a commute. When not in Iraq, I drive about 45 min to work one way.

Welll, there you have it. I am looking for recommendations. Communities, zip codes, etc. All input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Vincent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
The only area I can think of where you will have the amount of land you require for all that , no HOA restrictions and somewhat close to your job would be homes in the zip code 32833. These are in east Orlando and many of them are on larger 1 acre lots. Look especially for the communities of Wedgefield or Cape Orlando Estates.

Here are a couple of selections I found in a quick search on realtor dot com.

Single Family Property, Subdivision: ROCKET CITY UNIT 12A AKA CAPE ORLANDO ESTATES UNIT, County: OC, Approximately 1.6 acre(s), Lot is 69696 sq. ft., Year Built: 2005, Waterfront property, Central air conditioning, Dining room, Hardwood floors. 2061 square feet - $349,900.

Wedgefield - Cape Orlando. Charming 4/2 home on 1.74 acres. Fabulous open floor plan with beautiful details. 2306 sq ft, 3 years old, 1000 sq ft barn/workshop. Canal front privacy. Minutes from UCF, Waterford Lakes Towne Center & beaches. Upgraded electrical to 250 amps. 3-way split floor plan, hot tub, upgraded insulation, upstairs storage in barn/workshop. Seller was given variance by HOA on 3/14/07 to have 1 horse on property. $369,900

Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boating_fool View Post
Ok, lots of threads involving rural living around Orlando. I will post my situation, and desires and hope some of you can recommend areas to search for homes.

My family and I are relocating from Savannah GA to Orlando. There are 3 of us, myself, my wife and our 10 y/o daugher. We also have a golden retriever and 3 cats. I will be working at the Lockheed Facility on Sand Lake Rd or possibly near the Airport on Tradeport. I am currently in Iraq, so we have time, and the relocation is not definite, but most likely.

We currently live in a very rural area, in a small sub-division. We have a small house, 1600 sq ft on a 1/2 acre waterfront lot on a 500 acre lake. We have several kayaks, a 30ft motorhome and a 27ft boat which we currently keep at a Marina about 20 min away. I love Salt water fishing.

My wife loves to garden and even though we live on the water, she has a 2000 gallon pond. I am sure she will want to bring her two turtles and Koi with her.

I am looking for similar style living, but in a larger house, aprox 2000 sq ft.. Waterfront is not required, as I realize this will raise the home price to extremes. We wanted to avoid the gated community with massive rules envroment, but we still want a nice area. I would like to have property large enough to keep the boat and motorhome on, possibly under a pole barn or similar.

Boating and kayaking around Orlando is not a problem, I realize that. I also do not mind a commute. When not in Iraq, I drive about 45 min to work one way.

Welll, there you have it. I am looking for recommendations. Communities, zip codes, etc. All input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Vincent

Check out by Windemere off of 535....there are some houses like that after you go north past a development called Keene's Point....check some roads in that area named S. Lake Sawyer Ln., Lagoon St., and Sandy Shores Dr.

Then if you go a little south of there on state road 535 you will see a road called Reams Rd.......on that road there are some other streets with that rural houses feeling with private lots...the names of those roads are Taborfield Ave., Lake Mabel Dr. and Delmar Ave....

I deliver pizza out in this area and i have been on these streets.....pretty nice houses....some with that country feel and others just that rural suburb feeling......that area is really quite and seems pretty damn safe .......good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 28,377 times
Default Wedgefield is the place to look!

As with your other response, I agree that Wedgefield in east Orlando is the place to research. We are looking in the area for our next home also. You have a choice of lots sizes and could even build custom if you like. Acreage varies and probably no restrictions in the 1+ land. Dallas Blvd. is at the back of the subdivision (about 2.5 miles from SR520) - the main road access. However, Dallas has an on/off ramp to the 528 (Beeline sometimes called Beachline) which will take you to the airport in about 15 minutes.

This is the only real choice I can think of. I have lived in this side of Orlando for about 15 years and love it. You will have access to attractions (about 20-30 minutes away). Cocoa Beach, Meritt Island, National Seahore, and New Smyrna Beaches & Inlet are not far away either (15-30 minutes).

Home and land prices are reasonable. There are lots of deals out there.

Good choice for all your toys and animals. We have similar needs and requirements. Maybe will see you there. By the way. This is a golf course community with community park, picnic area, ball field, etc. There was talk a couple of years ago about Six Flags building nearby, but I haven't heard any scoop on that since.
Here's are a couple of maps to this community - originally developed in the 60's to accommodate families working for Nasa at the Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral, FL. It was/is considered a safe location.
Google Maps

Map Search

Here is the community link which includes home&lot sales.
The Wedgefield Golf and Equestrian Community : Homes & Land For Sale

Note: I have driven in this community a couple of times in the past 2 weeks and there are LOTS of homes and lots on the market. There are a few for sale by owner also. Land right is appears to start around $30K, depending on size. Prices have been stable for a few years in this development. I would say home prices are in the range of $200K >$500K. Most land available is high and dry. There are lots of ponds, drainege areas, etc. on some properties, but plenty of room to build and play.

Here is the brand new elementary school the Wedgefield kids go to. Kids would be bussed or you can transport. The school has room in the before/afterschool program. Across from the elementary is another new middle school/high school (Corner Lake Middle School). A+ schools in these schools.
Columbia Elementary School - Orlando, Florida - FL - school overview (location is off SR419/Chuluota Road - Colonial Drive (Hwy-50) is the main cross street. Schools are about 1/2 mile from Colonial.

Another GREAT subdivision we lived in for about 12 years is Pickette Downs. It's off Ft.Christmas Road. This is a huge custom community with 1+ acres. Probably plenty of resales and may still have lots available. Coldwell Banker was selling the lots after the builders moved to other communities. I'm guessing lots are probably still $60-100K. All were originally available for around $32K. I don't know what kind of deals you can get anymore. Homes were holding around $400K-600K last year, but I'm sure you can get some deals now. This is another great location near equesdrian trails, hiking trails, and you have deeded access to the near-by Lake Pickette which is 1100 acre fresh water lake to enjoy picnics, boating, jet ski, kayaking, etc. Lake Mills Park and also Ft.Christmas Parks near-by. Beautiful area! Commute might be about 15-minutes longer due to location - about 6-8 miles off Colonial and congested traffice to the East-West Expressway to get over to the 417/Greenway and or 528 to get to the airport location. But, it's worth the drive to live here!!!! I'm considering moving back to this development also.

Schools link for this side of town with zip codes:
Central Florida Real Estate Homes and Land Property Search

Here's another great site! Brevard County (i.e., towns like Titusville, Rockledge, Melbourne) are VERY close to east Orlando and also pretty reasonable. Add about 15-45 minutes to your commute, depending on where you would live.
Brevard County Florida Fishing - Brevard County FL Fishing - Lake Poinsett Florida

Need help with your move or transportation of your animals? Check this site out. I was able to find 2 people within 1-hr to safely transport 6 cats from Tucson to Orlando recently for very cheap!
uShip Directory search - Special Care Movers

Moderator cut: advertising

Good luck

Last edited by Keeper; 01-08-2008 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: too much like realtor advertising

Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM

49 posts, read 211,466 times
I might suggest looking into mims or titusville, its about and half hour to orlando and you can find alot of homes without and HOA. I would be happy to talk to you more indepth, I have lived in Brevard for 5 years now. Feel free to email me back or whatever.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard_resident View Post
I might suggest looking into mims or titusville, its about and half hour to orlando and you can find alot of homes without and HOA. I would be happy to talk to you more indepth, I have lived in Brevard for 5 years now. Feel free to email me back or whatever.

Half hour? maybe at 3 am, the morning commute will kill the OP.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
If you work near the airport, Chuluota in Seminole County comes to mind as a rural area that also has the advantage of better-than-average schools. 40-45 minutes, shouldn't have much traffic on 417 and the Beeline. To Sand Lake though, that wouldn't be too pleasant once you got off the Beeline.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 11,926 times
whats the davenport area like, anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando