Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 133,360 times

Advertisements

Altamonte has gone WAY downhill over the last 5 years. Do NOT move there. Maitland is the best on the "Winter Park" side, stay away from the Orlando/Edgewater side. Longwood has nice areas, but finding a home at a reasonable price may be difficult.

Lake Destiny/Wymore is becoming a really hard area. There are several apartment/condo complexes that are very dangerous. Too many investors are even taking the nicer complexes (Maitland Crossing, Lake Shadow, etc) and renting to scumbags.

If you are going to be working in Maitland, I'd recommend looking in Oviedo and Winter Springs. Seminole County schools are much nicer and living away from I4 will make your life much easier.

I wouldn't live off of Howell Branch or 436. The complexes are dumpy (although some are renovated, don't be fooled) and aren't safe. There are 2 bedroom apartments with 6 people occupying them. They really are trying to do nice things with that area, but it will always be home to the poorer residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 30,674 times
Talking thanks

Thank you for the response, that helps a lot. If traffic is the only issue, that is okay.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis1014 View Post
Altamonte has gone WAY downhill over the last 5 years. Do NOT move there. Maitland is the best on the "Winter Park" side, stay away from the Orlando/Edgewater side. Longwood has nice areas, but finding a home at a reasonable price may be difficult.

Lake Destiny/Wymore is becoming a really hard area. There are several apartment/condo complexes that are very dangerous. Too many investors are even taking the nicer complexes (Maitland Crossing, Lake Shadow, etc) and renting to scumbags.

If you are going to be working in Maitland, I'd recommend looking in Oviedo and Winter Springs. Seminole County schools are much nicer and living away from I4 will make your life much easier.

I wouldn't live off of Howell Branch or 436. The complexes are dumpy (although some are renovated, don't be fooled) and aren't safe. There are 2 bedroom apartments with 6 people occupying them. They really are trying to do nice things with that area, but it will always be home to the poorer residents.

Altamonte is a "really" nice area ....like any suburb anywhere you can think of except with palm trees, beautifull women, and a mall and a nice lake/park with events at tha lake all the time....the only way you will get in trouble out there is if you look like you are rich when there are thugish people around like anywhere but i lived there for 4 years and i only got robbed at gunpoint once late at nite at the 7-11 off of douglas rd. but i was not paying attention at the time....you shouldnt worry about Altamonte too much ...it is just like any suburb in america and i have lived in california, texas, arizona, miami, and other places...so dont worry

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM

33 posts, read 182,629 times
Why is everyone mispelling Dommerich? I went to elementary there and it was a good school with a nice gifted program. A bit overcrowded now but every school in metro Orlando is like that with all the growth.
There are some apartments at the southeast corner of Horatio and 17-92. They're located off of the busy roads on their own tree-canopied side street, and are home to a large Albanian population (or were about five years ago). I don't know how the rent is.
Howell Branch out towards 436 isn't that pretty, and if it's not Maitland schools, what's the point? You might as well live in the nicer complexes out Maitland Boulevard on the other side of I-4. Also, I have to say that traffic on both Horatio/Howell Branch and Maitland Boulevard (and 17-92 for that matter) is bad during rush hour. It can take a couple cycles to get through the traffic lights.
FYI, do not group together the area east of Temple with the rest of Dommerich. It's not even within the city limits. And people who live in Maitland or Winter Park know the difference between the Maitland area south of Horatio and Winter Park - Maitland is more suburban while Winter Park is older and has more charm (and is a little pricier).
By the way, it is possible to rent a house in Maitland.
And I second the Maitland politics comment. My mom is involved with all that and there's all sorts of accusations flying. It'll get done eventually, especially once all the old-timers die off.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 PM

33 posts, read 182,629 times
Seminole County schools are not better than Dommerich (or Lake Sybelia), Maitland Middle, and Winter Park High School. Those are some of the best in the region, with excellent teachers, committed parents, and engaged administrative staff. Winter Park HS has a fund committed to its operation raised by the parents to the tune of at least a million dollars. Winter Park also has nationally-ranked sports teams (except for the football team, which gets trounced haha). The only real competition in Seminole to Winter Park HS would be Lake Mary HS.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 23,303 times
We just moved here three weeks ago and have a 3 1/2 year old as well! We are looking at Winter Park, Maitland and Lake Mary. While we like all three, I would say Winter Park is my favorite. However, for the house we want we would have to spend $1 million or more, which we can't afford. Maitland is just a little further out (not much!) and more affordable--e.g. we can get a nice home in the 700-800k range. We did a fairly extensive preschool search and though not a Montessori really like what we've heard from Sandlando Christian Academy Sanlando Christian School - Kindergarten (http://www.sanlandochristianschool.org/index.cfm?PAGE_ID=59 - broken link) If you're looking for something more academic (or for future planning) Park Maitland School has been recommended to us over and over. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando