Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times

Advertisements

I assume you all know by now that the Centennial Fountain at Lake Eola has been hit by lightning, and would cost over a million dollars to fix. There is a poll over at the Orlando Sentinel, and a majority of people want to fix it. Some others say replace it with something better. I can say that once you have seen it with the water off as it stands now, it is pretty ugly...it's an eyesore in fact. However, then it is running, I find it to be a beautiful fountain and of impressive size. Most fountains are not nearly as large or impressive. That said, they could probably do better if they are going to spend all that money anyway. Should they repair the historic city icon or go with a completely new design? I'd be perfectly fine with either option, however I would not be okay with a 'no fountain' option. This city's downtown needs that identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 03:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
It MUST be repaired and or upgraded but NOT replaced. I usually do not have such strong feelings about this types of issues but in this case I feel that is the only way to go. Often times we complain that Orlando lacks any real history and is way to fabricated. Although it's not old in most terms, the fountain is one of the few landmarks that I would consider historic. (It's on the City's flag for Pete's sake, no pun intended Pete) We really need to preserve the fountain in it's original form and possibly upgrade the plumbing, lighting and water effects. I would hate to see it removed, eyesore or not. There is talk all over town about setting up fundraisers and trusts to have it repaired. Even in these thin times I would give some funds just to make sure our lake and centerpiece park will always be dotted by it's centerpiece, the Fountain.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:08 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,389 times
I did see that on the news the other day, that strike blew out the glass in the flood lights and everything. It took a pretty good hit! I was surprised at all the damage! It does actually bring a lot of wildlife in to the lakie as well.

I think it is a pretty fountain as it was...I don't really know how old it is or anything and I am new to the area. I think to scrap it, removed it, and replace it would likely cost a whole lot more money as well.

I would like to see it fixed, and like Crane's Rooster said, maybe upgraded a little if possible, but overall , I think it is a very pretty fountain. There is something to be said for understated simplicity.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
I've with...save the fountain. Orlando is not known for hanging on to historical markers. This would be a great place to start.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,584 times
It needs to be saved. It is one of the few original Orlando landmarks left.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,322 times
I walk around the lake every day, taking a break from work. Usually don't bother to look at it since I am around it so much.

$1,000,000 ?

Must be a Union only repair situation

Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,220 times
Save it. I grew up in Orlando and could not imagine Lake Eola without the fountain. It's one the few non-Disney related images that tourists can associate with the city and it needs to stay.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
I agree with Mugatu. I lived in the Orlando area for a big chunk of my life, and the fountain is iconic.

Another vote for repair and upgrade.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
Originally a fountain was installed in 1912 and afterwards the current fountain was installed in 1957, clearly pre-dating Disney. per the City of Orlando website. For the other non math people, to date the current fountain is 52 years old. By Orlando terms, that is a historic landmark.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:12 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
LOL at the comment by Orlando terms! We do live in a young city! I agree, save the fountain; the one we have now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: