Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,767 times

Advertisements

Looking for interesting facts about downtown orlando, stuff most folks (especially newcomers) might not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I like downtown Orlando, but there is not too much to it really. A lot of the clubs and venues are sandwiched in and a little hard to locate like AKA Lounge, Tanquerays (down some stairs), Sky 60 (on a roof). There is a cool little art boutique in the Grand Bohemian, and a small exhibit in City Hall as well. There is a glass art blowing place on one of the major intersections that hosts classes in glass blowing. What might also be interesting, not specifically downtown but adjacent is some of the hidden neighborhood eateries like Bravissimo on Shine avenue, 903 Mills Market, Dandelion Communitea Cafe, etc. There is a bed and breakfast in a historic home around Lucerne circle, and there is another in Thornton Park. There is a small boutique hotel Eo Inn by Lake Eola. There is a rooftop wine bar, Tastings, on Magnolia. There is also a cool up and coming area by T.G. Lee's factory on E Robinson that they are calling the "Milk District" with little low key hangouts like The Social Chameleon, Drunken Monkey, Pom Pom Tea House and the Plaza Theater. The question was open ended so I apologize about the kind of scattered answer lol!

I think the Orange County Regional History museum is kind of fun and interesting too.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Definitely Keila Glassworks in the City Arts Factory (which houses several galleries and constantly changing shows and is worth a visit itself). Charles is a very, very cool guy who is passionate about his work.

There's another club, just opened, Club 57 West. It's run by the same folks who run the AKA, and it's adjacent to the BackBooth.

Also Tastings Wine Bar and Bistro which is in the Dynetech Building on the corner of Magnolia and Washington near Lake Eola.

And for a GREAT place to eat cheap, the Pita Pit on Orange.

And in the Audobon Park area, Merrigan's is a totally cool, funky boutique with great clothes.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
This may help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...tion-help.html

Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM

258 posts, read 325,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That about sums it up. Downtown Orlando is something you drive through if your driving from Orlando to Tampa. Also, don't go west of I-4, if you do, your dead!!!! Not a single restaurant worth driving a city block for, whole thing is really orange avenue and a block off in each direction. Huge tall vacant buildings for the most part. Seriously, don't go out of your way to stop.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Some really cool insights given. (Don't know about History Rules from NE, who probably came to Orlando in 1980 w/ family to Disney, and now is an expert on the area! )

Orlando is still a larger town striving to become a real city. (It reminds me of Chatanooga, TN in a lot of ways). The downtown area is packed during business hours and has some real street life. At night, the sidewalks roll up and there is the regional suburban attraction to nightlife clubs, bars and a few restaurants/pubs that stay open late. (Still similar to business districts in major cities).

There is definately a homeless problem downtown and a historical racial issue with Parramore. Now that the historic water fountain at Lake Eola is broken, the park is now creepy with homeless people, instead of the usual mix of tourists, bridge/tunnel folk, neighborhood dog walkers and young lovers/clubbers. Parramore, at some point, will be embraced by the downtown area (like it or not).

Thornton Park is an awesome neighoborhood and has strived hard over the past decade to become gentrified. It's the ONLY area of Orlando I would personally live in, full of restored historic homes within walking distance to funky restaurants, galleries and downtown nightlife.

I think downtown Orlando (as a bonafide city) needs to determine what it wishes to be in the future, and embrace it's present rich cultural diversity as part of the urban identity, as most real cities do. (It's not there yet.)

It's still is a welcomed oasis from suburban soccer moms, which dominate most of the Metro area lifestyles there.

But I don't see a popular restaurant opening soon with drag queen servers! The entire Metro area w/ tourists can't even support a Kosher deli yet (i.e Amira's).

They still haven't broken from the Southern Beer 'n BBQ (and Prime Rib on weekends). But they do now have great Indian, Mexican and Cuban!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 09-12-2009 at 01:42 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
I think that was a great reply by daytonadewd. I left Orlando last year has Lake Eola gotten that bad? But that analysis was spot on even when I was there.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
That about sums it up. Downtown Orlando is something you drive through if your driving from Orlando to Tampa. Also, don't go west of I-4, if you do, your dead!!!! Not a single restaurant worth driving a city block for, whole thing is really orange avenue and a block off in each direction. Huge tall vacant buildings for the most part. Seriously, don't go out of your way to stop.

Then you know nothing about Manuels. I like the Breakfast Club for morning fare. And you think Tampa is aplace to stop at? guess you havn't looked too close there.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM

258 posts, read 325,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Then you know nothing about Manuels. I like the Breakfast Club for morning fare. And you think Tampa is aplace to stop at? guess you havn't looked too close there.

Manuals has been out of business a year, so if you go out of your way to eat there good luck. As I said vacancies abound. Breakfast Club is disgusting, ate there once and saw two roaches. The fact that anyone would mention a place like the breakfast club speaks volumes about how depressed downtown is.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Yup, Manuels is gone, but it hasn't been a year.

There's a new Italian place open around the corner from the Cigar shop that's getting great reviews. Tastings has a bistro menu that's terrific. And while far from gourmet, Urban Flats seems to be hopping every time I go by.

And let's not forget the restaurant that is always on the short list for the best power lunch and best brunch in Orlando, Boheme.

Last edited by annerk; 09-14-2009 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando