Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

When it comes to the inability to "make friends" it is usually the fault of the complainer and nobody else. If you have a crummy attitude, nobody wants to have anything to do with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wow, I just can't get over how many people have had a hard time making friends here. I've had an easier time here than anywhere else I've ever lived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Transient state. Yes. Funny, I've lived in two places in FL and knew my neighbors, both sides and across the street and several others on the block. Maybe you should find out why they don't want to talk to you.

I see people walking all the time. Working outside too. Kids are always playing on our street. Riding bikes, skate boards, go carts, tossing a football, a softball or even playing tag. Sometimes they just hang out
in front of a kids house and play with trucks.

You must live in a wierd neighborhood. Maybe a large elderly population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think that is the problem. This is a very transient state. My other theory is the heat...LOL.

Sorry we have lived on the west coast and the Pacific Northwest and knew the neighbors.

Here you hardly ever see anyone outside. In the winter months yes,but right now the only people outside are the ones who have to be.

I see people pull into the driveway( we do it to) garage door comes up, car into garage, person goes into house....repeat...you don't see people
taking walks, or working outside in a garden...everyone is indoors with the A/C on.

Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves here. When we lived in Southern CA on a Saturday morning there would kids playing outside, people in their gardens, of course it would be 75 degrees and hardly any humidity....but here they're all inside a good part of the year.

When we used to visit relatives here, I used to joke does anyone live in FL? LOL ....because through the whole subdivison you would see houses but never see any activity, everyone is inside.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Transient state. Yes. Funny, I've lived in two places in FL and knew my neighbors, both sides and across the street and several others on the block. Maybe you should find out why they don't want to talk to you.

I see people walking all the time. Working outside too. Kids are always playing on our street. Riding bikes, skate boards, go carts, tossing a football, a softball or even playing tag. Sometimes they just hang out
in front of a kids house and play with trucks.

You must live in a wierd neighborhood. Maybe a large elderly population?
We both live in the same community, and yet you see it soooo differently. Twenty years ago, out of the eight homes on my block, six of us were good friends, coffee, BBQ's, good relationships. One by one all either died or moved away, today of the eight homes I am the only original left, 4 of the homes are empty, all forclosures, one rental that they come and go so fast, you can't make friends. The other is a bitter woman who stays in her home 365 days a year and will not talk to anyone. The other is so busy working three jobs, a quick wave and off she goes to work. And the last one, she's a teacher who will not communicate with anyone on the block, even her kid isn't allowed to play outside. Our block originally had 15 kids+, over the years all are grown and again they moved. Those that moved in no children.

From what I've observed, those a little older do not want to get involved, they sit in their homes, watch TV and eat meals, go to church and don't get involved with anyone around them. They leave their homes every Friday, go to the bank, shopping and back into their secure air conditioned homes. Not one person on my block mows their lawn, they all have services, they don't venture out unless they have to. Weird neighborhood, don't think so, it could be Kass Circle or Overland Ave. You are very lucky that you have neighbors that are friendly, that kids live on your block, not every block is so lucky.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 AM

Certainly things change, people do move on. Sorry to hear of your experience. Like I said, two homes in Florida, totally different result.
Lived in the first neighborhood for 16 years. Yes, people came and went over those years, new folks moved in, they were neighbors. We didn't sit around having coffee clatches, but we knew who each other was, by name, always a friendly hello and when something important happened a chat about it. Sounds though like you have them all well scoped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
We both live in the same community, and yet you see it soooo differently. Twenty years ago, out of the eight homes on my block, six of us were good friends, coffee, BBQ's, good relationships. One by one all either died or moved away, today of the eight homes I am the only original left, 4 of the homes are empty, all forclosures, one rental that they come and go so fast, you can't make friends. The other is a bitter woman who stays in her home 365 days a year and will not talk to anyone. The other is so busy working three jobs, a quick wave and off she goes to work. And the last one, she's a teacher who will not communicate with anyone on the block, even her kid isn't allowed to play outside. Our block originally had 15 kids+, over the years all are grown and again they moved. Those that moved in no children.

From what I've observed, those a little older do not want to get involved, they sit in their homes, watch TV and eat meals, go to church and don't get involved with anyone around them. They leave their homes every Friday, go to the bank, shopping and back into their secure air conditioned homes. Not one person on my block mows their lawn, they all have services, they don't venture out unless they have to. Weird neighborhood, don't think so, it could be Kass Circle or Overland Ave. You are very lucky that you have neighbors that are friendly, that kids live on your block, not every block is so lucky.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 AM

241 posts, read 742,704 times
Honestly, I'd consider moving elsewhere. It sounds like the main reasons you came to Orlando didn't turn out like you expected. You don't like very hot or cold weather, like beaches, etc. California is much better in that case. You'll have different job and social issues over there, but at least you'll knock off a few negatives. If I moved back to the US, California, despite its well known problems, still tops my list. If you like a dense city, you have San Francisco. There's a bunch of smaller suburban-style cities along the coast to consider. San Diego seems nice if you enjoy the beach atmosphere. Each area has different popular job fields.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Of all the OP's points the ppart of how poorly guests treat the employees is the most distressing. If I come to your home it is rude to treat you with disrespect. why do people think employees should be abused. If you can't treat them well don't go. No one wants to see it or be around it. These employees make the parks a pleasure to enjoy. treat them well and make it a great experience for everyone.

WDW offers many opportunities and not all are in direct contact with people. They have a massive IT department.... they are the ones that make those animatronics work flawlessly.
They have many executive roles, and so on. so perhaps another direction in the company might be possible. If you are on the inside you can see first whats happening. look around at whatss there and see if some training might get you to a place you might enjoy better.

As to disappointment from relatives. Fropm the outside we see only the magic. You see the work. I doubt anyone would fault you if you better yourself in another company. I would hope everyone wants what is best for you.

Friends - you are in the tourist area and often have the CP staff around... they will move. I suggest getting other activities where you can meet people from other venues. Church, bowling, scuba, plants/gardening, the study programs offered in the local newletters, school, social networks, dancing, .... there are many areas where peole that share common likes get together. you can always try something new too.

For what it's worth I am glad you go and do what you do. You build memories that last lifetimes. You have no idea how many people you touch in profound ways. I appreciate your efforts others in your position have given me memories I treasure. Some people are jsut nasty, no reason to dwell on their short comings. Be happy.
This is the reason I dont work for Disney anymore. Abusive guests

Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,735 times
LOL I am From orlando, uhhh the only issues I see is where you live. off of 27. WTH LOL Move into Orange County.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
LOL I am From orlando, uhhh the only issues I see is where you live. off of 27. WTH LOL Move into Orange County.
I agree with this guy. Orange County anywhere is better then any area off of 27! Fact

Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I agree with this guy. Orange County anywhere is better then any area off of 27! Fact
Again with your absolutes. You've never lived off 27, so how can you have any basis to compare?

Facts are based on science.

Please back up your "fact."

Old 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again with your absolutes. You've never lived off 27, so how can you have any basis to compare?

Facts are based on science.

Please back up your "fact."
I actually used to live near 192 and 27 from 2006-2007 so yes I HAVE lived off 27! Now you're making assumptions based on nothing! Good job! I hated every moment of it. Everything was in Orlando and it was all so far away, the area is also very rural and transient whereas Orlando is an established city

I say its a fact because most people would agree with me Orange County is better then teh 4 corners area. But in reality its just my opinion

Would it have made u feel better if I said opinion as compared to fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando