Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlouix View Post
There is zero chance of expanding 4 four lanes, it was planned so poorly like most of the roads here (with zero setback laws). They will tell us that so it will get approved. The END game is more tolls and a greater EXPRESSWAY AUTHORITY. Focus on increased revenues through tourists and stop gouging residents.
Moderator cut: comment about the topic not other members
it takes FOREVER and when they finally get done there is little improvement.

The toll roads here are insane. I don't know of any other parts of the
that have them like this.

Having lived out west you get on a freeway or an interstate and thats it, you're only expense is your gas.

Here everything is toll roads.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-21-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Sounds about the same as where I come from....took about 40 years to build 476, and once it was finally up and running, it is about three lanes shy in each direction, and jammed up both ways during rush hours every workday. PennDot was always tearing up roads everywhere, and I could never see exactly what the point was when they were finished....years later... LOL.... so sounds about on par with the rest of the country At least the roads here can handle water runoff with the greatest of ease for the most part.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-21-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: quote deleted as it was edited

Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Well FL is the only place I have lived where it took a year and half to add a turn lane in an intersection.

They also built another toll road the Suncoast Pkwy and it is only two lanes in each direction, who builds a parkway these days with only two lanes.

Why they don't work at night here is beyond me. Of course they would have to the pay workers more but it would get done faster. It would also be easier on the workers as oppossed to being exposed to the brutally hot sun all day.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well FL is the only place I have lived where it took a year and half to add a turn lane in an intersection.

They also built another toll road the Suncoast Pkwy and it is only two lanes in each direction, who builds a parkway these days with only two lanes.

Why they don't work at night here is beyond me. Of course they would have to the pay workers more but it would get done faster. It would also be easier on the workers as oppossed to being exposed to the brutally hot sun all day.
I agree, it is the only city I have lived in with such slow construction times and inefficient roads.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
The toll roads here are insane. I don't know of any other parts of the that have them like this.
LOL! Sounds like you just described New Jersey.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:

what are you talking about? they work over night on roads ALL the time.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Most of the road construction here is done during the day.

Awhile back they redid the parking lot at a local Publix shopping center,instead of doing it at night(this shopping center is dead after 7pm) they did in the middle of the day.

It was some mess, we witnessed a crash as people were parking anywhere that wasn't blocked off for paving. Could have been done overnight and not impact the shopping center, but that costs more.

Instead it took 3 days and was done in sections, a complete mess.

Logic does not apply here when it comes to road construction. JMO, I think they stretch it out as long as possible to keep themselves employed. They're mostly all contract labor, the longer it takes, the longer they have a paycheck.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You are so wrong about stretching it out. Most road construction contracts have a monetary bonus for early completion of the project for exactly this reason. Construction on the 408 and turnpike has been ongoing overnight for a couple of years now, I think the 408 is done, but the major construction on the turnpike continues. (Widening, installation of median barriers, etc.)

You want stretched out? How about the never ending work on I-95 in GA that has been ongoing for over four years now.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! Sounds like you just described New Jersey.
Yup, and they GOUGE you coming over the bridges in Jersey...we used to have a camper with a dually pickup...that is, there were 4 wheels on ONE axle in the back of the truck...they charged us the price of two axles in the back , so get this...for our camper with a tandem axle, and the pickup truck they charged us for FIVE AXLES FOR A FAMILY camper setup...it was about 16 bucks to get OUT of Jersey back to PA over the Commodore Barry Bridge...LOL! Talk about tolls! And there has been construction on/around that bridge ongoing for about five years at least.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
Quote:
You want stretched out? How about the never ending work on I-95 in GA that has been ongoing for over four years now.
I remember work on I-95 in Georgia starting from about the mid-80's. It's a long running joke that every year we've gone down to Disney there are orange barrels on I-95 through there - my husband said that's there spawning grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: