Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 20,310 times

Advertisements

Hahaha a lot of great responses in this thread! I've been a long-time lurker on City-Data, so it's nice to see that my thread is getting a good response!

Katey was the one who introduced me to City-Data in the first place actually. :-) She's absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to relocate to Kansas with her!

Back to the thread though...

You know you're in Orlando when...

...you slow down when driving through a green light.

...you see more homeless people on the street advertising car-washes than unique shops and businesses.

...you constantly have to deal with the hamburger around you being passed off as filet mignot.

...you notice that there is always an abundance of people who are in desperate need of change at 7-11 because they happened to have run out of gas.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Hobo Spices View Post
Hahaha a lot of great responses in this thread! I've been a long-time lurker on City-Data, so it's nice to see that my thread is getting a good response!

Katey was the one who introduced me to City-Data in the first place actually. :-) She's absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to relocate to Kansas with her!

Back to the thread though...

You know you're in Orlando when...

...you slow down when driving through a green light.

...you see more homeless people on the street advertising car-washes than unique shops and businesses.

...you constantly have to deal with the hamburger around you being passed off as filet mignot.

...you notice that there is always an abundance of people who are in desperate need of change at 7-11 because they happened to have run out of gas.
Absolutely! Or wait a second or two when the light turns green before you actually go.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Absolutely! Or wait a second or two when the light turns green before you actually go.
Hahaha exactly!

Here was a gem from several months ago :

- John Young Parkway. (Check)
- No cars on the road aside from myself. (Check)
- Me driving steadily at the speed limit in the left lane. (Check)
- Woman making a right onto John Young and cutting across the entire road into the left lane in front of me, despite there being ZERO cars in the middle and right lane. (Check)
- Me slamming my breaks harder than the fist of an angry god. (Check)

It'll be nice to drive in Kansas City.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKateyKaboom View Post
Yeah, when she hit me, my back REALLY started hurting the next day, so I went to the doctor - and it sucks because even though the accident where she hit me was pretty minor, I feel for people who get hit and have severe injuries, because when it was all said and done with, I was responsible for about $500 in medical bills (but this is with no health insurance as well).

They keep changing the insurance laws here, and it's so blatant that it all goes to catering to the lobbyists. Ugh.

GLS2010, those are some really pretty pictures. Like I said, we recognize that like any city, Orlando has it's good and bad. I've made a lot of friends here and enjoy my job, but it's just time to move on. Both the OP and I just feel stagnant in our work (even before the economy hit the crapper), and we've been living at our parents' houses to save money, and we just feel it's time for us to strike out on our own.

The OP went straight to bed last night, and he's still very much asleep, but I told him he needs to show this thread some love!

The driving laws are insane here, if you were a helmet when riding a motorcycle they don't have to carry insurance???????

Hello...it is a dangerous mode of transportation.

Good luck in whereever you're going, I think FL is a waste for young people. We're in our 50s and it is too slow here.

I used to have repsect for the elderly...LOL...but after being in FL they park wherever they want, they drive in the left lane, and have such a sense of entitlement(not all but some)that the rules don't apply to them.

If it isn't an elderly driver going too slow, it is a teen who thinks they're in NASCAR.

Worst state I have ever driven in.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The driving laws are insane here, if you were a helmet when riding a motorcycle they don't have to carry insurance???????

Hello...it is a dangerous mode of transportation.

Good luck in whereever you're going, I think FL is a waste for young people. We're in our 50s and it is too slow here.

I used to have repsect for the elderly...LOL...but after being in FL they park wherever they want, they drive in the left lane, and have such a sense of entitlement(not all but some)that the rules don't apply to them.

If it isn't an elderly driver going too slow, it is a teen who thinks they're in NASCAR.

Worst state I have ever driven in.
Hahahah well said Seain! I think it's pretty bad that I prefer driving in New Jersey over Florida.

The biggest gripe I have about Florida though, is the attitude that most residents have about living here. They've never experienced real culture, or the character of a real city. They vehemently try passing off their corporate, watered down, generic attractions as items of substance. I think this picture says it the best though -

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....e_koolaid2.jpg

Last edited by Keeper; 09-21-2009 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: copyright pic/make link

Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Hobo Spices View Post
Hahahah well said Seain! I think it's pretty bad that I prefer driving in New Jersey over Florida.

The biggest gripe I have about Florida though, is the attitude that most residents have about living here. They've never experienced real culture, or the character of a real city. They vehemently try passing off their corporate, watered down, generic attractions as items of substance. I think this picture says it the best though -

It's the same people, just a different location.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Cocoa is a nice beach? LOL
It's not the nicest beach in FL by any stretch, but it is nicer than most beaches up the rest of the east coast...by far, and you can surf there regularly.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
It's not the nicest beach in FL by any stretch, but it is nicer than most beaches up the rest of the east coast...by far, and you can surf there regularly.
new symrna beach is about the same distance and it's a very nice beach. way nicer than cocoa

Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
new symrna beach is about the same distance and it's a very nice beach. way nicer than cocoa
Are you sure:

19 Shark Attacks in 2008 at New Smyrna Beach, Florida | surftherenow.com

Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
yea I'm sure. I've been going there for years and never seen a shark. You have the same risk on any Atlantic beach. New Symrna is a great beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando