Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKateyKaboom View Post
Plus, as I mentioned previously, this is not a "hatefest".
I agree but many come on here to try to convince themeselves that Orlando is something it is not. After reading some of these posts where people are saying that Orlando has cultural attractions (museums, etc.) and good steak houses, I must rest my case. If that make people feel better to imagine that then what can I say.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
The beach used to be a weekend trip, now it can be a day trip, or half a day trip!
You must have lived in some far out suburb because it takes me less than 45 min. to get to the beach and it took me 40 min to get to the beach when I lived in Orlando.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You must have lived in some far out suburb because it takes me less than 45 min. to get to the beach and it took me 40 min to get to the beach when I lived in Orlando.
Ummm, there was no beach worth going to less than 90 minutes from my home. Not worth less than a weekend jaunt IMO. You are already in the people's Republic of New Jersey so, you have a 15-20 minute head start from where I was living. Beaches we would frequent, Cape May, Wildwood, Ocean City NJ, Ocean City, MD, Sea Isle, NJ, Atlantic City, NJ, or Rehoboth, DE...and by the way, I hope you enjoy PAYING to walk on those beaches...lol! Nearly all Jersey beaches require a beach tag. cough up the cash pal!

Additionally, I am gonna call you on this....embellishing your truth a little I believe. As I don't believe you. As I see it , there are NO fast routes to the shore from where you live unless you take 42, which is to Atlantic city, and even with you speeding that is at least an hour drive, Seaside Park is due East of you, that is a bit longer of a drive - hour fifteen....so to which beach did you make it in 40 minutes from your house in Collingswood and how fast were you travelling?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree but many come on here to try to convince themeselves that Orlando is something it is not. After reading some of these posts where people are saying that Orlando has cultural attractions (museums, etc.) and good steak houses, I must rest my case. If that make people feel better to imagine that then what can I say.
I do not think Orlando has anything cultural to the likes of those larger cities where you moved to, but The Morse Museum and Orlando Arts Museums are both very nice as well as some others. Leu Gardens has some beautiful trees, etc.
Orlando also has some very good restaurants. There are a lot of chains. There are some really good steakhouses like Kres that can be found though. I do not think it is fair to compare Orlando to Philadelphia or whatever other idealized city you have chosen. Orlando can best be compared to Vegas. These two cities attract major chains, high end, themed, etc. They also both have some great non chain options of the swanky persuasion. Does Vegas win in this category? Yes! Does that mean Orlando has a deplorable and uninteresting selection? No! I think Orlando's dining scene is better than Tampa and Jacksonville. I think it is more diverse than many other metro areas like New Orleans, Charlotte, etc that are comparable in size. Orlando attracts tourists and so most restaurants that are on urbanspoon or other rated sites are in the tourist districts and not indicative of the types that are in Orlando in other places.

Park Avenue alone has about 10-15 great dining options. There are a good 5-6 more on Edgewater. I would say downtown has a couple but not many.

I am not trying to convince myself or others Orlando is something it is not. I know that for me there are plenty of great options and I frequent many of them, chain and non chain, quite regularly. It is not fair to compare Orlando to much bigger or more established areas like the NE or areas with a less transient nature and more community like the Midwest. Of course they will have more options than we do.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
You know you're in Orlando when you discover new shopping areas you never knew existed because most lots are surrounded by trees and setback 50 yards from the main road. I will still never get used to this, its so ugly.

-You see huge empty parking lots where the developer found it necessary to add a few hundred parking spaces for a tiny Walgreens LOLOLOL!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
My friends kid was swallowed whole by a shark there, it was has only child. AVOID!!!
Still waiting for proof on this, History Rules.

THESE are the posts that make me reply. This goes way beyond bashing.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
wow, 9 pages of this?? its the same people over and over, lol

Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Still waiting for proof on this, History Rules.

THESE are the posts that make me reply. This goes way beyond bashing.
Tell me about it, considering no person has ever died from a shark attack at New Smyrna Beach. I lost all respect for his opinion when he said Lake Eola Park is ugly and worthless. It's just so ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times
Don't you all know that this happens on the streets of Orlando and surrounding beach areas everyday. It's the truth, just ask all the people coming on here that don't live there anymore...

http://www.homosassaredfishing.com/images/Homosassa-landshark.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Don't you all know that this happens on the streets of Orlando and surrounding beach areas everyday. It's the truth, just ask all the people coming on here that don't live there anymore...
Something more like this:

Wave-Jumping Shark Caught In Photos At New Smyrna Beach - News Story - WFTV Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando