Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:43 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree it may not be the dominant culture but it does exist throughout FL and when your only used to seeing people like that on TV...LOL...it is a shocker.

I also agree with your comment about a lack of culture, the OP without knowing him but knowing people like him( education and background) proably won't find going to theme parks as a regular source of entertainment a way to pass the time.

I would think that being single, educated, and in my 30s someone would want a more educated area with better job opportunities.

I have seen so many posts on here where young professionals have left Orlando due to low salaries and lack of opportunity.
Yeah, O-Town is not exactly a coffee-sipping philosophical crowd. More of a party town with the downtown scene very bar and club heavy. Great for singles that are into that scene, which apparently the OP is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree it may not be the dominant culture but it does exist throughout FL and when your only used to seeing people like that on TV...LOL...it is a shocker.

I also agree with your comment about a lack of culture, the OP without knowing him but knowing people like him( education and background) proably won't find going to theme parks as a regular source of entertainment a way to pass the time.

I would think that being single, educated, and in my 30s someone would want a more educated area with better job opportunities.

I have seen so many posts on here where young professionals have left Orlando due to low salaries and lack of opportunity.
exactly... that is why I posted how I did for the OP... I am around the same and would not like Orlando very much... coming from Bay Area for him, I think would be a big downgrade...

As I said earlier and you or another poster did... SF is in the nyc/la/chicago group... big city, international, world class, highly educated, cosmopolitan... Orlando is a huge drop down from these... Miami/FLL metro is the only thing that might keep you satisfied if you like the things these cities provide and attract.

as for Tampa... I did post there because at least you have beaches and more scenic.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 16,023 times
Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. I just got back to the Bay Area after a visit to the Orlando area and will post my comments and observations about what I saw. I did forget to mention that I have a very good possibility for a job in the Orlando area and that is the reason I actually wanted to know about moving here. If I didn't have a job offer, then I would probably just stay here in Cali and continue looking. However, because of the current state of the economy, I realized it might be good to take this job if only for a temporary reason to be employed.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 16,023 times
Ok everyone,

Sorry for the long delay but it's been a really hectic week after finding out that my company is suddenly closing down. Anyways, I have a potential opportunity to move to the Orlando area but after visiting this city, I have a lot more reservations. So, here's my feelings about the city and did a quick comparison to the Bay Area...

1) The downtown Orlando area seems almost deserted. I'm not even going to try comparing it to San Francisco nightlife but I was expecting it to be at least quite populated. When I walked through the downtown area around 4-5pm, it didn't seem like there were a lot of people around. Many of the stores show "for lease" and parking was so abundant that I can find parking spots practically every block. I returned around 9-10 pm and drove around to get a better assessment and was still not very pleased with the city atmosphere. Some parts of the city are pretty (such as the Vue area) but it seems like the city is in big need of people. Did I just go on a rare day or is this typically how it is?

2) The malls around the Orlando/Oviedo area are so empty that I was surprised the stores can still afford to stay open. Being born in the midwest region, I've seen areas where the population is less but this was still quite a shocker. I do have to point out that once I drove closer to the Orlando (tourist areas), then the population was much more abundant but that's probably mainly due to the visitors. Is this typical also?

3) As for the cultural diversity that I was looking for, I think Orlando is definitely not the right place for me. I was hoping to see a much more diverse population of whites, blacks, latinos, asians, and etc. but almost strictly saw either white or black. I don't have any problems with any ethnicity but was sure hoping to see some more diversity around the areas.

Although I'm potentially moving (from Cali) but I don't try to hold Florida to the same kinds of expectations as I do since that would be unfair but I do find it very strange that the city seems like there's a withdrawal of people around this state...especially considering how beautiful Florida is. Because my previous visits to Florida have only been to the tourist places, I am very glad to come tour Florida and see more of the local areas and from what I saw, I am a bit dissappointed. Are there any others that agree with my perspective or did I just come during a bad week or two in the Orlando area?

Thanks,

Lex

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
This is an evaluation I would expect since you are coming from such a larger city. I think the downtown crowd is very very light all day until about 10-12, and then it is really heavy with crowded sidewalks and the main thoroughfare (Orange Ave) closed off to vehicular traffic. Did you get to see Winter Park or Dr Phillips? A lot of the reason people are not out and about in much of the area during the day is the oppressive heat. You will see many more people out in the fall, winter and early spring because the weather is more tolerable. The Oviedo Mall is notorious for being really empty and small, so is the Festival Bay mall. There are better malls in Altamonte and South Orlando. I am surprised you did not see more hispanic people in town. I kind of feel like it is almost a three way division between white, black and latinos but we do have little diversity outside of that. There is a cool Asian district by downtown and a small Chinatown in Pine Hills, but nothing like San Francisco.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
October is not fall?

Lex, sounds right on point...nothing out of the ordinary. Glad you got to see it in person.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexneffect View Post
Ok everyone,

Sorry for the long delay but it's been a really hectic week after finding out that my company is suddenly closing down. Anyways, I have a potential opportunity to move to the Orlando area but after visiting this city, I have a lot more reservations. So, here's my feelings about the city and did a quick comparison to the Bay Area...

1) The downtown Orlando area seems almost deserted. I'm not even going to try comparing it to San Francisco nightlife but I was expecting it to be at least quite populated. When I walked through the downtown area around 4-5pm, it didn't seem like there were a lot of people around. Many of the stores show "for lease" and parking was so abundant that I can find parking spots practically every block. I returned around 9-10 pm and drove around to get a better assessment and was still not very pleased with the city atmosphere. Some parts of the city are pretty (such as the Vue area) but it seems like the city is in big need of people. Did I just go on a rare day or is this typically how it is?

2) The malls around the Orlando/Oviedo area are so empty that I was surprised the stores can still afford to stay open. Being born in the midwest region, I've seen areas where the population is less but this was still quite a shocker. I do have to point out that once I drove closer to the Orlando (tourist areas), then the population was much more abundant but that's probably mainly due to the visitors. Is this typical also?

3) As for the cultural diversity that I was looking for, I think Orlando is definitely not the right place for me. I was hoping to see a much more diverse population of whites, blacks, latinos, asians, and etc. but almost strictly saw either white or black. I don't have any problems with any ethnicity but was sure hoping to see some more diversity around the areas.

Although I'm potentially moving (from Cali) but I don't try to hold Florida to the same kinds of expectations as I do since that would be unfair but I do find it very strange that the city seems like there's a withdrawal of people around this state...especially considering how beautiful Florida is. Because my previous visits to Florida have only been to the tourist places, I am very glad to come tour Florida and see more of the local areas and from what I saw, I am a bit dissappointed. Are there any others that agree with my perspective or did I just come during a bad week or two in the Orlando area?

Thanks,

Lex
You are on the spot with your observation!

I relocated to Lake Mary for a job last year. Lake Mary is very nice as are some other parts of Orlando.

I came from the Washington DC area which is very dense area with a highly educated work force very similar to the Bay area in California.

I had similar observations such as you did. Although I worked temporary here in Orlando in the summer of 2007 before making the final move in the summer of 2008. I'm still very concerned with the number of empty lease office spaces in an around the area. Some local malls are operating at less than 75% capacity. Malls need to be around 80% capacity to generate profits.

It's a tourist town. So lots of lower skilled workers means lower wages.

There are some nice downtown Orlando area hangouts such as mentioned by other posters.

I like living in Lake Mary. But I don't see myself in the Orlando area for more than another 1-2 years. I'll probably be back living in a major US city (LA, SF or Washington DC). I've already done the NYC living. NYC was not for me.

I almost took a job in late 2007 near Emeryville. I was planning to purchase a home in Walnut Creek and commute to Emeryville. Homes in Walnut Creek aren't that more expensive than some homes in Lake Mary. Yeah some parts of SF proper are very expensive. My friends condo on 2nd Street and Folsom in SF cost well over 1 million. Orlando isn't as cheap as one would expect. Even with the housing crash here, it's probably 20-30% cheaper but the wages for some workers are much lower compared to what they pay in some parts of California and Washington DC.

Orlando is not for everyone. But if you are single, and if it's a solid job offer, than give it a try. At least for one year. One year goes by quickly. At least you are employed, making an income. Rents are much cheaper in Orlando than the Bay Area. My friend was renting a one bedroom apartment on Mission and Market and it costs him over $2500 for a one bedroom apartment. You can find a nice downtown 2 bedroom apartment for $1500 easily in Orlando with full service.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Ok everyone,

Thanks,

Lex
Hi Lex!

About the malls in the area- I'm not sure what malls you went to, but it didn't sound like you went to what I'd consider the major malls in the area, The Mall at Millenia and The Florida Mall. The Florida Mall is pretty much always packed, and even the upscale Mall at Millenia has always been lively (and absolutely gorgeous as well).

I'm surprised that you didn't find a lot of diversity, as I've always regarded Orlando as sort of a melting pot (due to all the people who are either visiting or have moved from other places, as most have). If you're looking for an Asian population, you should check out the area on E. Colonial Drive near downtown (I'm pretty sure it's known as Little Korea). I know it doesn't compare to SF's Chinatown, but it's something!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Lex, thank you for the update. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders.

We came from Southern CA to FL and the educational level of the people we encounter is so different than CA for the most part.

It actually gets me a little depressed as I don't find too many people to have an intellectual conversation with.

I am by no means a member of Mensa....LOL...but I do find it very rare to have an educated discussion with most people you run across here. For the most part they are elderly transplants.

Lower skilled workers which is what you find here for the most part aren't going to share your interests.

Doesn't make them bad people but if your used to being able to have a lively chat with your peers, and you no longer have that, and you also lose the cultural events at the same time it could be too much of an adjustment.

Have you looked into NC? They have the Research Triangle and Charlotte is a growing city in the high tech area.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 15,018 times
I grew up in the Orlando area and went to UCF. I moved about 6 yrs ago to the NYC area and your observations are pretty much spot on. It's not very diverse at all. I am in Finance, so their wasn't a good job market for me down there either.

Downtown Orlando & Citywalk are basically where the younger generation go Thurs - Sunday. I still go back to Orlando on major holidays to see family and go downtown. Honestly it gets old for me after an hour os being there.

I play basketball pretty frequent as well. In NYC finding out door games is pretty tough. There are alot of courts, but they are usually packed solid with a 1-3 game wait. I got lucky and found a group of like 15 guys that rent out a gym and we play for like 3 hours, but that is hard to find.

In Orlando you can find games anywhere. Even open gyms are pretty frequent once you start getting to know people on the courts.

Quote:
Ok everyone,

Thanks,

Lex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando