Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM

31 posts, read 36,820 times

Advertisements

Proposal would add 'Lexus lanes' to I-4 for drivers willing to pay for a faster ride -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-i4-toll-lanes-091809091709sep17,0,7887205.story - broken link)

Orlando has extensive tolls on 7 of 8 freeways in the Orlando/Kissimmee area and even though the voters overwhelmingly voted down putting tolls on I-4, HERE WE GO AGAIN. More tolls to expand the expressway authority and Major Crotty's control and cronyism in the form of 150,000K a year to the executives at the expressway authority.

1. Isn't the fact that Orlando already has the most tolls of any city in Florida while having the most tourist revenue starting to smell like dead fish?

2. I'd advise any citizen of Orlando to call your congressional representatives, John Mica for one and put the pressure on, enough is enough.

3. The cost of living continues to increase in Orlando while wages remain stagnant. Decent working people are fleeing the area in droves. I know of a friends son that transferred out of UCF because he was spending thirteen dollars a day on tolls?

WHEN IS THE INSANITY GOING TO END
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM

239 posts, read 467,897 times
Smile Toll Roads

I agree with your post 100%. This is getting insane, every time you turn around someone is reaching into your pocket wanting more money. Everything is going up, electric bills, water rates, homeowners insurance, tolls, etc..... Except of course our home values, they have dropped between 30 and 40%. The clueless politicians along with our absentee governor need to start doing their job and support the people who are struggling to pay their bills and put food on the table. These clowns need to eliminate some tolls not add more. I like many Florida residents will be getting out of this state as soon as possible, and will never turn around to look back.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:32 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Lexus lanes? Really, Sentinel? That's the lamest term I've ever heard.

Plus, I don't get what's so bad about this--it's voluntary to pay for the speedier lane(s). What's the issue? If you don't wish to pay the toll, just stay in the "normal" lanes. Am I missing something here?? Remembering all the traffic I used to have to deal with driving I-4... I would have gladly paid 75 cents or whatever to get to my location faster. It would be one thing to complain if all the sudden I-4 was turning into an exclusive toll road, but for this? These lanes aren't a new concept for much of the country...

On another note, why hasn't the concept of HOV lanes been introduced? I can tell you that last week driving in Los Angeles traffic with my husband during rush-hour was pretty smooth being that we could use the lanes.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 09-18-2009 at 03:54 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
Even an avid Orlando fan or supporter like myself can see this is an unintelligent solution to the traffic problem. I agree that HOV lanes are a much better solution traffic wise. Maybe they can get some of the money back from HOV violators, but an extra lane that you have to pay for the usage is not going to alleviate traffic that much. Just look how backed up the toll freeways get in rush hour. It is still going to occur in an extra lane on the freeway as well.

Orlando is not a joke, its leadership just makes bad decisions.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I'd rather have pay as you go toll roads than the other option that was recently suggested, a GPS on your car with a tax paid on every mile you drive, whether you are in Florida or not.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
a frustration toll is certainly not the way to alleviate the I4 issues but will only make them worse. Then the frustrated will jump on the toll side to avoid the mess. Of course they are taking lanes away from and existing problem to make this happen... Makes no sense but serve to keep some executives well paid for little production.

You want to raise money? cut 75% of the esec staff at epass and 5% of the others. provide better discounts for epasses and get people out of the manual lanes. don't rebuild bridges that are fine. (conway) Dont build bridges to nowhere... (408 west exit to I-4 West)

Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
a frustration toll is certainly not the way to alleviate the I4 issues but will only make them worse. Then the frustrated will jump on the toll side to avoid the mess. Of course they are taking lanes away from and existing problem to make this happen... Makes no sense but serve to keep some executives well paid for little production.

You want to raise money? cut 75% of the esec staff at epass and 5% of the others. provide better discounts for epasses and get people out of the manual lanes. don't rebuild bridges that are fine. (conway) Dont build bridges to nowhere... (408 west exit to I-4 West)
Dead on with all points, eliminate toll house authority and millions saved yearly. I also never understood the free links downtown, you can walk the entirety of downtown in 15 minutes, and all day long everyday, LINKS LIMO shuffles the lazy and the homeless around town employing drivers, polluting the environment and taking people from nowhere point A to nowhere point B. I agree with the shuttles during Arena events, but come on what city especially one this small with no viable downtown does this. Does anyone know the cost???l

Old 09-19-2009, 05:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
LYNX LIMO is used by LYNX to fulfill a portion of their Title VI federal mandate. A large amount of the cost of the program is paid for by the Federal government.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

The article states that they will be ADDING four lanes...not taking away any of the present lanes....which begs the question, if there is no room to expand the road in the first place to alleviate the traffic congestion, where is the room for these four lanes magically coming from?

As a newcomer to the area, I have to say, I laugh at what is called "traffic congestion" down here but I-4 most certainly qualifies and is in need of some type of rectification.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
The article states that they will be ADDING four lanes...not taking away any of the present lanes....which begs the question, if there is no room to expand the road in the first place to alleviate the traffic congestion, where is the room for these four lanes magically coming from?

As a newcomer to the area, I have to say, I laugh at what is called "traffic congestion" down here but I-4 most certainly qualifies and is in need of some type of rectification.
There is zero chance of expanding 4 four lanes, it was planned so poorly like most of the roads here (with zero setback laws). They will tell us that so it will get approved. The END game is more tolls and a greater EXPRESSWAY AUTHORITY. Focus on increased revenues through tourists and stop gouging residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: