Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 17,667 times

Advertisements

We may be trying to relocate to Orlando by this summer. A relative is offering us a house to stay in located in Leesburg until we settle into jobs and can move into the Orlando area. We saw a picture of the house and the area looked run down. What kind of area is Leesburg? We are coming with two young children and don't want to land in a bad area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Leesburg is generally safe, but a lot of it is "old Florida." It wouldn't be my first choice of a place to settle permanently, but for a temporary area to stay in until I figured out where I'd be working, sure.

In all honesty, where to live is the least of your worries, with unemployment at around 10%, finding a job will be almost impossible unless you teach special ed or are involved in a few specific healthcare fields.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM

111 posts, read 342,005 times
Do you know what the Leesburg address is?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
i drive through leesburg multiple times a year when driving up to the villages to visit my grandparents, and we sometimes stop in grocery stores/ fast food joints while passing through. All the people ive encountered their are very low class, you see a lot of homeless people walking the streets, a lot of trailer trash looking white people and ghetto looking black people. But thats just driving on 27 through leesburg, the eastern sections of the town look alright, like near the little downtown. There are also a lot of old people in that area since its very close to multiple 55+ communities.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
As in all cities, there are good and bad areas. Just driving through Hwy 27 is not a complete picture.
Leesburg wraps around Lake Harris, and the main two highways are 27 and 441, which join in the northern part of Leesburg. Hwy 441 is much nicer, although there are almost no areas in Leesburg I'd be afraid to walk.

Some parts of Hwy 27 are a bit run down, but other areas are fine. Between the two highways is Main Street, which has a nice downtown.

Leesburg has many pluses; a new Library, Venetian Gardens, great hospital, etc,etc. As a previous poster stated, it also has a large retired population because of the many nice upscale 55+ communities in the Area, like Legacy, Arlington Ridge, The Plantation, etc.

Google the address you are being offered, and see a video of the streets around it, etc. Better yet, visit there yourself and decide. You do not say what employment you are after, or what skills you may have. Jobs are tough, so it is best to visit first WITHOUT moving to check out the area and to look for work. It is best to secure work before you move.

Good luck..........(from one of those 51 year old "Old People" mentioned above.

Frank

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM

5 posts, read 17,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Davis View Post
Do you know what the Leesburg address is?
The place is on S. East street, I did a satellite pic on google maps so I was able to see the area.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight80 View Post
The place is on S. East street, I did a satellite pic on google maps so I was able to see the area.
It's a bad area. I used to live in Leesburg. I wouldn't stay there. I didn't care for Leesburg at all which is why I moved to the Eustis/Mt.Dora Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando