Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 PM

45 posts, read 175,890 times

Advertisements

I am reading all of what I can here which is so helpful....so after all of my perusing through the many answers here, I was thinking that I needed to reword my question a bit.

Want to live in a town, that does not attract tourists, if you know what I mean....dont want to deal with short term rentals etc....

thanks,

p.s. pricepoint is up to 375K - needs great school system

thanks again, with much appreciation!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 22,854 times
Not sure if this helps, but the east side of Orange County is pretty good. I live near Avalon Park and that has nice houses and apt. The Commute to Orlando isnt bad especially when they open up the new ramp that leads to 417. Depending on where your husband has a job it is a short commute. Not sure how old your boys are but the elementary schools are really nice there, and this middle school (Avalon Middle School) is the one of top rated public school i think in the county. The high school (Timber Creek High School) has pretty good sports programs and is also a pretty good school

Some of the other areas are oviedo, but it has chickens on the loose(seriously). Lk Mary is good. Stay away from Conway and the Semoran corodor. i grew up there and lots of drugs and gangs. And Sanford has nice areas, but honestly after living in Orlando for 27 years, nothing good has ever come from Sanford. Def look into Avalon though. It is pretty much its own little city and looks like a small town almost

Last edited by Keeper; 10-19-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Awesome !! Thanks so much guys for the info, I will be checking it all out as soon as my kids are in bed : P

Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
The chickens here in Oviedo are about a handful and they are in the very center and older part of town...they are not in 95% of Oviedo...lol...I like them myself If you are doing Avalon Park area, research the crime very well...there is alot of discussion on these boards alone you can get info from.

I live in Oviedo and subdivisions around me you can look into would be Santuary, Live Oak, Riverside, Kingsbridge East and West, Alafaya Woods, Oviedo Forest to name a few on my side of town. Lake Mary also has a lot to offer, but check what school the address you choose would be going to (if you have kids) as the districting there is a little spread out and oddly done. You may have a school nearby but get bused to a different school, so look it up to be certain.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Winter Springs, established, good schools, family oriented, shopping, just off I-4

Lake Mary, established, good schools, family oriented, light shopping, just off 417

Wekiva Springs, established (although 1 new community selling now), family oriented, shopping, 434 -436 area

Horizon West - Urban Living, good schools, new homes (builders are dealing), new open air shopping center that has a great mix of stores and restaurants

Hope this helps

Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
The tourist are basically confined to the tourist corridor here. Just as a general rule of thumb, they rarely travel North of Millenia mall, East of Florida Mall. So if you focus your search North or East of those areas you will not likely see any tourists or one sign of that Mouse even. Seriously, in a place like Altamonte or Lake Mary you would not even know there were major theme parks just down the highway.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The tourist are basically confined to the tourist corridor here. Just as a general rule of thumb, they rarely travel North of Millenia mall, East of Florida Mall. So if you focus your search North or East of those areas you will not likely see any tourists or one sign of that Mouse even. Seriously, in a place like Altamonte or Lake Mary you would not even know there were major theme parks just down the highway.
I agree...the only sign I ever see is driving on I-4 right past all the tourist attractions But I like being equi-distant between the beach and the parks (about 45-50 minutes either way) should I choose to partake in being a tourist

Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM

Hmmm, very interesting feedback, Thanks to all who have contributed!!! Appreciate it alot.

Hearing alot of positives about Lake Mary, will look into it more closely.

: )

Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 PM

23 posts, read 81,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camom2 View Post
I am reading all of what I can here which is so helpful....so after all of my perusing through the many answers here, I was thinking that I needed to reword my question a bit.

Want to live in a town, that does not attract tourists, if you know what I mean....dont want to deal with short term rentals etc....

thanks,

p.s. pricepoint is up to 375K - needs great school system

thanks again, with much appreciation!!!
I lived in Oviedo until last year (my parents are still there), and i would say it's a nice town that has good schools and relatively low crime. You don't have to live in cookie cutter subdivisions and There are a lot of fun things for kids like the public pools and skate park. When you want some Culture just go to Winter Park or 20 minutes from down town orlando.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,685 times
Only short term rentals you'd have to deal with are in Osceola and Polk Counties really....and those area's wouldn't meet your good school system anyway. The tourist area's are really only in the SW section of Orlando, so that leaves every other town in and around Orlando open.

Would need alot more info on what more your looking for in an area/house to narrow things down. But good schools systems are just about all of Seminole County, and several area's of Orange including Lake Nona, Waterford Lakes, Southern Avalon Park, Winter Park, College Park, Windermere, parts of Winter Garden, etc... encompassing quite a few hundred square miles and each with their own unique characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando