Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

[quote=brinkofsunshine;13567732][quote=DavieJ89;13565859]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post

Whaaaat? $16 an hour, seriously?! What's the minimum wage there? I don't even think you can make that kind of money at a supermarket here in Manhattan (where pay is much higher 'cause of the higher cost of living). I had no idea the pay was so good in Vegas.
Minimum wage in Vegas is $7.75 an hour, increasing to $8.25 this July

They make $16 an hour because they are union, but even with union dues I would still make more money there then I do here

Also at that pay rate I would be more willing to put up with some of the crap customers like to give me about things (Attempting to double coupons, swearing something is $5 cheaper then what it rang up, WIC, rich people using EBT)

With that kind of money I would be set
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
Well, it makes up for the CRAPPY pay.
Benefits has always seemed to be a large plus for teachers. Pay is decent, but nothing to brag about. Unless of course you've been doing it for 20 or 30 yrs.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
[quote=DavieJ89;13567846][quote=brinkofsunshine;13567732]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Minimum wage in Vegas is $7.75 an hour, increasing to $8.25 this July

They make $16 an hour because they are union, but even with union dues I would still make more money there then I do here

Also at that pay rate I would be more willing to put up with some of the crap customers like to give me about things (Attempting to double coupons, swearing something is $5 cheaper then what it rang up, WIC, rich people using EBT)

With that kind of money I would be set
You never know why they are doing so. I have a friend who has a comfortable income. She is caring for her cousins three children--their parents were killed in a car accident. She stepped forward to take them in, the other option was that they would have gone into state foster care. The State gives her about $50 a month in food stamps (for three kids--hardly covers feeding them) and medicaid. Until she and her husband legally adopt the children, they can't be covered under my friends health insurance, and these things take time.

So get over yourself, because you don't know why someone is buying groceries with an EBT card. And she got WIC for the youngest until he aged out of the program--how about them apples?

Personally I think it's ludicrous to pay a freaking cashier more than a few dollars above minimum wage. It's not exactly a skilled position. It's also the reason that a lot of grocery chains have collapsed, and taken those retirement funds with them.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
[quote=annerk;13569258][quote=DavieJ89;13567846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post

You never know why they are doing so. I have a friend who has a comfortable income. She is caring for her cousins three children--their parents were killed in a car accident. She stepped forward to take them in, the other option was that they would have gone into state foster care. The State gives her about $50 a month in food stamps (for three kids--hardly covers feeding them) and medicaid. Until she and her husband legally adopt the children, they can't be covered under my friends health insurance, and these things take time.

So get over yourself, because you don't know why someone is buying groceries with an EBT card. And she got WIC for the youngest until he aged out of the program--how about them apples?

Personally I think it's ludicrous to pay a freaking cashier more than a few dollars above minimum wage. It's not exactly a skilled position. It's also the reason that a lot of grocery chains have collapsed, and taken those retirement funds with them.
Im assuming by this comment that you are a Republican? Only a republican would say a job like mine doesnt deserve much pay. Let me ask you something, before you personally attack me again by insulting my job (something I have NOT done to you)

Who is to say what jobs should pay what? Thats not up to you since you are not running a company. $9.15 an hour isn't bad for what I do, it could be better but its sufficient enough for me to pay my bills on time every time

I personally believe cashiers should get paid more because of all the crap we have to go through with a good majority of our customers. I'd say $12 an hour is about right, IMO annerk, as good as $16 an hour sounds, I think it is a bit excessive and it explains why like you said, a lot of grocery chains are closing stores. (Smith's, a grocery chain in Vegas is closing stores and laying off people because of this very reason) I think if grocery stores paid cashiers $12 an hour and ave them decent enough hours, the stores would still remain very profitable. The upside is they have not resorted to downright greed the way Disney has

Then again Winn-Dixie and Albertson's are virtually extinct here in Florida now, but that was due to bad management, and I am worried Publix is headed the same direction.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
[quote=DavieJ89;13580384][quote=annerk;13569258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Im assuming by this comment that you are a Republican? Only a republican would say a job like mine doesnt deserve much pay. Let me ask you something, before you personally attack me again by insulting my job (something I have NOT done to you)
I'm independent, and I wasn't attacking you, just stating my opinion.

Quote:
Who is to say what jobs should pay what? Thats not up to you since you are not running a company. $9.15 an hour isn't bad for what I do, it could be better but its sufficient enough for me to pay my bills on time every time

I personally believe cashiers should get paid more because of all the crap we have to go through with a good majority of our customers. I'd say $12 an hour is about right, IMO annerk, as good as $16 an hour sounds, I think it is a bit excessive and it explains why like you said, a lot of grocery chains are closing stores. (Smith's, a grocery chain in Vegas is closing stores and laying off people because of this very reason) I think if grocery stores paid cashiers $12 an hour and ave them decent enough hours, the stores would still remain very profitable. The upside is they have not resorted to downright greed the way Disney has

Then again Winn-Dixie and Albertson's are virtually extinct here in Florida now, but that was due to bad management, and I am worried Publix is headed the same direction.
I've worked as a cashier, and made about $8 an hour. I didn't deserve more than that for the work I was doing. It wasn't skilled, and it was something taht anyone could learn in a matter of an hour or so of training. You think you go through crap? You have no idea what really dealing with a high stress job with a lot of responsibility that requires a level of skill and education higher than 9th grade is all about. Once you've actually worked at one, come back and talk to me.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
Well I live in Fort Lauderdale and I believe the economy is getting worst over here, this is my plan I have already gotten a diploma for electronic systems and now I will be going for my associates in electronic engineering and then my BA in biomedical engineering, but right now the way I see it crime is always going to be there and you cant control it and not even I, and I want to start a family there so I will take my chances, I grew up in Jamaica but was born in the US so you guys can talk about about crime all you want in Orlando people live and die everyday in this world and right now I am seeing jobs populating in the field i went to school for in Orlando.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,122 times
my family had a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 2 car garage built on 1.5 acres in 1977 in a subdavision called deerwood off of lake underhill between chickasaw and econ that house was purchased for 57 thousand prior to that we were living in an apartment off of americana blvd and back then living in those apartments prior to moving to the opposite side of orange county we had neighbors we had friends we could hang out till the street lights came on we were safe i guess in part because our neighbors as our selves were committed to values and family regardless to race ot ethnicity but then again families sat down to dinner together than i dont like the way our neighboorhoods look nowadays and yes there are many rundown places it saddens my heart to see the places ive skinned my knees learning to ride a bike or the places me and my now wife used to hold hands while walking home from school quickly falling into a state of condemnation maybe some one from peta or greenpeace will start a save the neighborhood or how about the save the old people foundation whom have no money to cut there grass or paint there house or mend there fence hey let me know ill be willing to donate a saturday to help someones grandma or grandpop cut the grass ///after all wernt these values instilled upon us as kids?.....i work 40 hours a week 41 and healthy but always seem to have to much month at the end of the money show a lil kindness and youll overlook the blindness (Charlie Pride) .....The Tree Guy

Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times
This thread is exactly what's wrong with this country. All anybody expects these days is more pay, less work. Your work ethics are pathetic, yet you expect employers to pay more $ so you can justify "putting up" with doing YOUR JOB? Again, doing your job.

This thread is exactly why this country is going downhill and becoming dumber and lazier at an alarming rate. Stop complaining, stop whining, go do your job with some effort and a positive attitude and maybe, JUST MAYBE, your boss may somehow miraculously witness that effort and give you a raise or a promotion.

With that "I deserve more than this" attitude, you will always fail at everything that you do. The most universal traits of all successful people, hard work, perseverance, effort, positive attitude, etc., where is it???

And by "you" I mean everybody that has a problem with what I just posted.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yeah, why on earth should a company pay more than a few dollars above min. wage to those "unskilled" workers who are often the customers first, last, and only point of contact to the business.

I'll never understand why companies don't want those in the company who are most directly involved with those spending money in the company, to at least make a decent wage.

Imagine a world where the single mom ringing up your groceries didn't have to be on food stamps, WIC, Medicade, and other entitlements to survive while working 40 hours a week for Wal-Mart, WD, or Publix .

PS: I worked for Winn-Dic-Me when they filed for Chapter 11 and trust me, if you think Winn-Dixie, Gooding's, Albertson's, or any other troubled grocer got that way by paying too much to their customer service personnel, then I feel sorry for you.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 AM

92 posts, read 227,352 times
Just like the banks it was poor upper managment and greed that drove them into the ground. FL wages are a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando