Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,764 times

Advertisements

Hi to everybody!

In January I'm going to move to Orlando to stay a couple of months (maybe one more) for job reasons.

I didn't visit USA before ,I don't speak English very well, and I don't write it well (I apologise for it).
I feel afraid about the american accent... There are a very closed accent in Florida or it's easy to understand for non-native speakers?
Thank you so much for your answers. I have a lot of questions but I don't want to abuse!

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Because so many people who live here aren't originally from the south, you'll find all types of accents. If you don't understand what someone is saying, it's fine to ask them to speak more slowly or repeat themselves. Sometimes asking them to rephrase their words works very well.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
You write very well! Better than many that are born here!

Trust me you will not be the only foreigner in this city! Where are you from?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,764 times
Thanks!
I know that I'm not the only foreigner but I never had the necessity to talk in English and for me it seems a big mountain but I hope that in few days I'll accustom myself to life there.

I think I'll spend all the day saying: Could you repeat that, please?

I'm from Spain. Please If I make mistakes and you had the kindness to correct me, I appreciate it.

Best regards

Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
You should have absolutly no problem there! This town accomodates Spanish speakers very well, due to the large hispanic population.

Heck, I'm trying to learn Spanish for when I move back down there!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Locals are used to dealing with people they cant understand well due to the tourists we encounter from all around the world. People here are understanding and will try there best to understand you. People won't blow you off just because you have a thick accent. There aren't much Spaniards in the area but there is a Hispanic population. Just try your best to work on your english before you get here. I assume since your in Europe, your taught the U.K. version of English. American accents are a bit different than UK accents, but its pretty easy to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: