Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM

229 posts, read 778,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
something i have noticed as a publix employee, is that we are selling oranges for 79 cents a lb this week (maybe that was last week) and those oranges come from california

riddle me that one?
see post #2

Publix is a business, they make business decisions.

If both Publix and say Albertson's where selling widgets (both met your quality control parameters), and you where in the business of selling widgets at retail. Where would you buy your widgets in bulk?

If we all as consumers buy only local produce, (even if more expensive than the imported), you bet they would start selling everything local that they could get their hands on.

It's a cliché, but it true, you vote with your wallet. It doesn't matter if a few people vote for local, when most vote for cheap.

I vote both for local and organic, and struggle with the fact that many times those are mutually exclusive. I also accept that my organic and/or local produce will be at times more than twice the price of conventional or imported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
If you want to buy local, just go to one of the many farmers markets around the city every week. Most of them have local produce. Winter Park's is the biggest. The one downtown is small, but we get most of our produce there. It is comparable or even cheaper than Publix. There is a tomato farmer there that sells amazing tomatoes. Like people have been saying, for a corporation like Publix, they are just going to go with the cheapest way possible and buy in huge quantities. Who knows if the local farmers can even support the demand for such a huge chain.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
I planted my own veggies this summer, so hopefully I won't have to pay high prices, AND my stuff will be local AND organic

Old 04-27-2010, 02:48 PM

58 posts, read 182,203 times
Publix does what best for Publix. They treat their employees like slaves, buy from the lowest wholesalers, and are wonderful at marketing.
Employees are harassed routinely if they don't shop anywhere else but Publix.
It's quite the brainwashing. Anything to make Publix stock continue to rise.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 AM

295 posts, read 832,121 times
The past few months our Publix produce has been terrible. Mushy, goes bad within a few days. Some fruits look fine on the outside but are rotten or dry inside--apples, plums, oranges, etc.. The potatoes this past year are horrible and go rotten within days yet potatoes I buy at other groceries are perfect. Onions? Don't even get me started, lol.

I spoke to my local Publix produce manager and to my surprise he agreed about the poor quality, stating that he himself shops for produce elsewhere. So, if they are aware of the problem why isn't something being done to correct it?

Lately even Winn Dixie produce is better than Publix. When I shop at WD (ugh) for produce, I usually get a $10 off coupon that I use for other groceries at Publix (because Publix accepts all competitor coupons) so at least there's a benefit there. haha

Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
In terms of apples, you just aren't going to get a decent 'local' one south of the Mason-Dixon line. I've tried for a long while, but the climate for that fruit is so much better in Michigan and New York. And don't get me started on what passes for apple cider down here.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In terms of apples, you just aren't going to get a decent 'local' one south of the Mason-Dixon line. I've tried for a long while, but the climate for that fruit is so much better in Michigan and New York. And don't get me started on what passes for apple cider down here.
Not entirely true, beachmouse.

The mountains of North Georgia produce some excellent apples.

Georgia Apple Festival of Ellijay

You should check out the Apple Festival this October!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
I have been complaining about the low quality produce that is sold in central Florida......why is that.....publix,Winn Dixie ,walmart, albertsons,it doesn't matter.....compared to produce sold up north ny,nj,conn, pa, why why why......can someone tell me ! Thanks we deserve better.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfbavaro View Post
I have been complaining about the low quality produce that is sold in central Florida......why is that.....publix,Winn Dixie ,walmart, albertsons,it doesn't matter.....compared to produce sold up north ny,nj,conn, pa, why why why......can someone tell me ! Thanks we deserve better.
Because the grocers want to buy everything dirt cheap and our local growers aren't large volume operations that can afford to sell dirt-cheap so we largely get stuck with truck-ripened fruits and vegetables from Mexico and Canada, or another US state if you're lucky. Publix has tried to put in some locally grown items but find it to be of poor quality, probably picked up at a low price as a consequence of the poor quality. Just once I would love to find a tomato anywhere in Florida that's actually ripe and didn't have some weird aftertaste. I miss the fully ripe, somewhat salty flavored tomatoes I could find in NC or PA/NJ.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM

73 posts, read 175,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfbavaro View Post
It's the reason Kansas has the best shrimp and NYC has great oranges. If you're shipping long distances, thus raising the price, you'll need something that appears to have greater value, and the best way to do that is to have a better quality item.

As for the original question...it's the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando