U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 PM

73 posts, read 136,363 times

Advertisements

Hello:
I have posted a thread before to find out about wild animals living in Orlando,above all frogs and more frogs etc.
What I really hoping to hear is from people that are also afraid of frogs but don't let their lives discourage because of it. What I mean is how do you get by knowing there are frogs outside,in your backyard,maybe if you go out to walk the dogs,etc.
Do they get into your house? Do they get into the swingpool? if you live in a more urban neighborhood,are there frogs as well?
Anything one can do not to get frogs around the house? I don't know
There must have been people afraid of frogs out there and still live their normal life.
What does Orlando has to offer that would outweight that con?
We are a family of three,my husband and my year old daughter,money is not a problem to buy a house out there,we just want to get out of the cold and snow so that our daughter has an outside life which is not happening now since winters are so long. We live in upstate NY very close to Canada and winters are brutal here.
I would like to hear some people.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,748,396 times
I do not live in Orlando, but I've lived in a few areas of Florida and am now about 100 miles south in Vero Beach. Do you mind if I ask how you feel about lizards? Snakes? Are you only afraid of frogs? We also have wild hogs, possum, alligators and too many raccoons.

Frogs won't hurt you. I'm sorry you have that fear, but my only suggestion is to buy a home that isn't surrounded by vegetation or water and make sure the windows & doors are sealed tightly. I'd be more worried about keeping out criminals than frogs.

I'm honestly not judging you, but I do get concerned when I read a post like yours, since it means you might hurt a frog or other small creature if you see it on your lanai or in your garage. Frogs are very common in Florida. After all, it's one big swamp! A few days ago I caught a small lizard (not an easy task) and put it outside. In fact, just before reading your post, I put a spider outside. Of course I didn't use my bare hands, but I got a piece of cardboard and coached him toward the door. No point in killing things that aren't going to harm you.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,562,957 times
I live just outside of Orlando, right on a drainoff pond. We have frogs. Lots of frogs. I have never had one get in the house yet. We have been here since July only, so , don't only go by me.

We see frogs on the outside of the house regularly. We see toads (or frogs, they are brown) in the mulch regularly. We hear them all the time. They tend to be nighttime creatures , and we see them when we walk the dog later, after dark. I have had small frogs occassionally get in our screened in pool. My daughter delights in fishing them out.

Of course, they are harmless, but I understand some foks have fears. Hoewever, there are also some species of frog that are endagered and protected here, and I would hate to think that someone is killing especially those frogs (let alone any frogs).

Frogs also eat bugs....lots of bugs, and there are plenty of mosquitos here, I would hate to think of how many more we would have to battle if not for our friend, The Frog

Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,761,365 times
I also have an phobia of things slimy and leaping. Its an irrational fear but I'll go so far as going in the back door if a frog as at the front door. With that said, there are alot of frogs here. No matter where you live, they do too. For some reason they like to hang around lights at night, I guess because the light attracts insects and that's there food source. So if you have a light on they will be there. I am deathly afraid of frogs (no real fear of snakes or lizards though) but I have gotten use to doing battle with my nemesis, its much like a chessgame.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:32 PM

335 posts, read 1,254,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post
What does Orlando has to offer that would outweight that con?
Warm and sunny winters; going on the beach year around and theme parks.
To name a few

Old 11-24-2009, 05:58 PM

19 posts, read 44,871 times
I hate bugs in general and constantly feel I am fighting an uphill battle. We have tons of toads that hang out on our front porch and they pretty much have the attitude of "don't bother me, I won't bother you".

It's the beetles that get to me. I have seen beetles that get upwards of 2 inches long and those freak...me...out. There are beetles that come out in summer that drive me bonkers because they just fly around and will bump into/land on anything.

Anyway, getting back to frogs and such. There are a bunch of tree frogs that hang out on the side of my house and they really don't want anything to do with people either. I wouldn't make it a deal breaker if you're scared of frogs/toads.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,306,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
A few days ago I caught a small lizard (not an easy task) and put it outside. In fact, just before reading your post, I put a spider outside. Of course I didn't use my bare hands, but I got a piece of cardboard and coached him toward the door. No point in killing things that aren't going to harm you.
Oh, brother! I do the same thing!

There's another girl on here. I think her name is Amy and she is from the Midwest and she won't kill anything, either!

I lived in Florida for ten years, in Orlando for two, and I only saw one frog and he was in swFlorida. (Maybe he was a she?) He had those sticky cups on his feet. Adorable! I love the sound that the tree frogs make!

Anyway, I didn't see any frogs in Orlando.

But here's the thing. If you are only afraid of frogs it is probably an irrational fear; an anxiety that can be cured by a counselor that knows how to deal with it. Above all, you are not weird, it is common for people to have this issue and it can be cured.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 PM

57 posts, read 159,187 times
When I was living in Orlando I saw frogs all the time, but only at night. The like to hide out in bird feeders, wind chimes, and crawl up the sides of the house. They will run from you rather than attack you so I think you will be okay. If I were you I would watch where I was walking on the grass and be more worried about the darn fire ants then anything else. They hurt!!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 AM

12,498 posts, read 29,934,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb5575 View Post
When I was living in Orlando I saw frogs all the time, but only at night. The like to hide out in bird feeders, wind chimes, and crawl up the sides of the house. They will run from you rather than attack you so I think you will be okay. If I were you I would watch where I was walking on the grass and be more worried about the darn fire ants then anything else. They hurt!!
I thought about the darn fire ants too. When we moved from PA, I had no idea what they were and I sure as heck found our real quick!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

793 posts, read 2,401,418 times
I live next to conservation area and in the spring the frog chorus is unreal and even though I'm only feet away i see maybe a handful all year long.
Hot Tip: The trick I use is a light that only comes on when it detects a warm body and I use 2 of the new fluorescent bug lights, this keeps the bugs flying around the front of my property down.
It will detect the few deer and the other night an armadillo grubbed through.
As for bugs in my home, very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>