Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

[quote=DavieJ89;11769519]I think you are wrong. I like our museums.

What I meant is Orlando caters to most (should not have said all lifestyles) peoples tastes. One girl can go drink and party downtown, while just 20 miles to the east in Bithlo (which is an Orlando address) another guy may go horseback riding. Orlando is the only place I know that has urban, suburban and rural areas all sharing the same address of Orlando, FL 328whatever

You can go to Winter Park, or Dr Phillips for a fancy dinner, you can go to Pine Hills for soul food, or to E Colonial and Mills for some Pho, you can go to Apopka to Porky's BBQ if thats not your forte, you can go to South Orange County (where I live) for some Latin food, you can go party and have fun on I-Drive or at City Walk. Shop at the Loop, Waterford, the Millenia or Florida malls.

You can go to any of the theme parks and spend hundreds rather then the thousands tourists spend when they come from up north so they dont have to shovel snow. Hell you may not even spend hundres if you work there, get you and some friends in for free and spend tens

I think what I was trying to get at was that there is endless things to do for anybody who seeks them. The diversity of those things and choices is what in my opinion makes Orlando great.

And to those who think Orlando is ghetto, you guys are racists who get scared when you see more minorities in the room then whites. Im white btw! Racial diversity is a good thing, and you do realize Whites are now officially a minority in Orange County (49.9%) and in Orange County Schools 66% of all the students are minorities. Why is this so scary?[/quote]

^^^Watch the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Actually, both Orlando AND Miami (AND Tampa) were ranked as 3 of the worst (out of 100) cities in America to raise a family.

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/09/15/miami-worst-place-to-raise-kids-according-to-poll/
Looking for a place to raise your family? Children's Health magazine says stay away from Florida. According to MSNBC, a poll of the best and worst places to raise kids in the "Children's Best City" edition of the magazine ranks three of Florida's cities at the bottom of the heap: Miami ranks 99th out of 100, with Orlando and Tampa coming in at 98th and 94th, respectively
Well this is not a concern of mine since I don't have children and one of the reasons one of my siblings moved here was to raise her family but she left a well paying job in Miami with full benefits to find herself under employed here.
She likes it here but I don't and will never get used to this so called "city".

Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 47,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I dont like Orlando that much either, mostly has to do with the people, but I have to ask, are we talking about the same Orlando? Churches, rednecks, hillbillies? I'm wondering what part of Orlando you live in? I'm a born and raised FL cracker, and I dont see what you're talking about. (I do see what you're talking about when talking about the houses looking the same, the strip malls, how bad the drivers are, etc...), but hillbillies, too many churches, and rednecks? Where is this? Where I live all I hear and see are Puerto Ricans, NY'ers and espanol. So I'm confused. Before the PC police come after me, I'm just telling you who is around me. And I live in 32828, not Union or Azalea Park.
I do admit that I live in a strange area of Orlando where churches are completely out of hand, however hillbillies are everywhere here. You live in 32828? What about Bithlo right there? (I once saw a bumper sticker that read "Bithlo: The Nightmare before Christmas" that I found QUITE amusing).

Anyway, I am just voicing my opinion. I am new to these forums and perhaps there are 400 threads bashing Orlando- I didn't mean to start an argument or whatever. I feel that I have a very good idea of what Orlando has to offer and it's just not appealing to me. After I posted my response last night I came up with several other things that I very much dislike about Orlando but really tried hard to think of some redeeming qualities. Here are a couple:

1. Thirft stores/antique stores. There are many, and I've been to places with better ones, but all in all ours are pretty good.

2. Hard Rock/House of Blues music venues. I think they both sound great when we DO get a show worth paying an arm and a leg for comes through.

3. A wide array of fast food. I don't eat fast food but maybe once a month, but when I do, oh man do I have choices!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

And to those who think Orlando is ghetto, you guys are racists who get scared when you see more minorities in the room then whites. Im white btw!
Thank you, you just gave more merit to my original post.

I was raised in a place where you don't see color, or background. People are people and they are good people or bad people. "Ghetto" trancends color or race these days, my dear.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornsareawesome View Post
I do admit that I live in a strange area of Orlando where churches are completely out of hand, however hillbillies are everywhere here. You live in 32828? What about Bithlo right there? (I once saw a bumper sticker that read "Bithlo: The Nightmare before Christmas" that I found QUITE amusing).

Anyway, I am just voicing my opinion. I am new to these forums and perhaps there are 400 threads bashing Orlando- I didn't mean to start an argument or whatever. I feel that I have a very good idea of what Orlando has to offer and it's just not appealing to me. After I posted my response last night I came up with several other things that I very much dislike about Orlando but really tried hard to think of some redeeming qualities. Here are a couple:

1. Thirft stores/antique stores. There are many, and I've been to places with better ones, but all in all ours are pretty good.

2. Hard Rock/House of Blues music venues. I think they both sound great when we DO get a show worth paying an arm and a leg for comes through.

3. A wide array of fast food. I don't eat fast food but maybe once a month, but when I do, oh man do I have choices!

I live in 32828, yes. Bithlo and Christmas are not too far from me. Those are also isolated, small areas that make up a very small percentage of Orlando.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
We are on the edge of going off topic, lets please stay on topic, good things about Orlando.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornsareawesome View Post
Thank you, you just gave more merit to my original post.

I was raised in a place where you don't see color, or background. People are people and they are good people or bad people. "Ghetto" trancends color or race these days, my dear.
Even before I moved to Orlando I lived in Waterbury, CT which I would say is ghetto but it was diverse, I never knew what race was until I learned about the civil rights movement in school and all I can remember thinking is "Wow? People didnt like other people because of skin color? Thats stupid"

I live in Southchase which is a neighbrohood close to Meadow Woods in South Orlando, our zip code 32824 is like 60% hispanic but its definitely not ghetto overall

Also most of my friends are minorities, they dont judge by color either. Sure we crack our jokes but we know when to draw the line and have a good time in the end. Racism sucks, I have gone through reverse discrimination and I felt like crap after going through that.

I am very openminded about all races of people but I do believe if you come to this country you should learn english. If you choose to speak another language over english thats fine but you should at least learn english since thats what everybody speaks

I'm actually staying with a Puerto Rican family who my gamily has been close with for a long time, they usually speak spanish but they also speak english very fluently and I have no problems communicating with anybody, and I have picked up a little spanish which I think is fun to learn.

Thats why I like Orlando, the diversity of everybody, and most people are veery tolerant of each other and you see all kinds of ethnicities of friends gettin' together hanging out and having fun

So what if Orange County is minority majority? Just enjoy your life, laugh live and make some friends, you might learn some cool stuff

Old 11-25-2009, 05:25 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
We are on the edge of going off topic, lets please stay on topic, good things about Orlando.
Another good thing about Orlando, the winter weather is amazing

Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 PM

My apologies, I wasn't trying to troll or bring down the forum, I was just proving a point. I have been called racist for not letting a black woman cut me in line at a gas station. I'm tired of the term racist- of which I've become all too aware of here. As others have mentioned, there seems to be a definitive line of old Orlando and new Orlando. I guess maybe my unhappiness stems from a town that has an "old Orlando" state of mind. I'll not continue to post here.

Edited to say: I guess I never really saw things as black and white before living here. It is a hard thing to accept and to live with, even as a white person.

Last edited by unicornsareawesome; 11-25-2009 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: see above

Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
If I could pick anywhere in the USA to live, I'm not sure I would pick Orlando. I happen to have a great job here....so I stay. But even with those feeling, I really don't understand why people diss the town. It is great for shopping, eating out, entertainment, out door activities, special shows/concerts, etc. It is a bigger town that feels like a smaller quaint town. Sure, it is a little steamy in the summer, but the winters are glorious. The people are mostly friendly........... and you can learn Spanish really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando