Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 PM

23 posts, read 57,161 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
Thanks for reading. I'm a recent college graduate and I'm planning on moving to the Orlando area in April. I've been doing EXTENSIVE research for the past months about the area. I have many job options as I am willing to be flexible and I am planning a trip in February before I move to secure a job. I've traveled to the area a lot for vacations, and I KNOW that it is totally different to live there than when on vacation, but how else can I find out if I like it than trying it out? I have the means and I'm going for it.

ANYWAY, I'll get to the point. I've been reading pretty much every post on Orlando and a lot of you seem very harsh. I went to school in Boston and then lived in Los Angeles for a year and from what I've read, Orlando is just about the same as any other major city. I think some people just express their negative experiences very heavily on here because they have the means to do so (non-confrontational). I appreciate the positive responses that people have given to other posts.

A couple questions:
1) I've been reading a lot about MetroWest. In current day, is it still as bad as people say it is? The prices are extremely reasonable and it's a very attractive place and I like the idea of living in a master planned community (coming from New England, I hate it here). Everyone says it's SO hard to live in Orlando, but go and try to live in LA, Boston or New York. I couldn't get a "decent" 1 bed apartment in a bad/maybe-okay part of town in LA or Boston for under $1200. I'm done with the whole roommates thing. Getting a condo in Orlando for $650 with amenities is a STEAL. Seriously, try living on the West Coast or in New England. You'd be in hell. Just my opinion.

2) I'm a gay guy, I've heard that Orlando has a pretty big gay culture. How are gays treated down there in everyday life? Any areas that the gays tend to flock to (living or hanging-out wise?) What areas do you recommend living in for a young, single guy, rent under $700?

3) Here's a list of some apartments I'm considering, can anyone comment on any of them? (I've checked out apartmentratings.com and all the reviews are SO conflicting it's insane.)

Arbors at Lee Vista
Fountains at Millenia
Lee Vista Club Apts.
Arbors at Maitland
Estates at Maitland Summit
Sun Lake Apts.

Thanks SO much. I admire you wanting to help others in their quests to Orlando! Hope we can talk soon.

-T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Gay people are usually downtown. People seem gay friendly downtown. The suburbs have more of a conservative feel. Just my input. I'm not that fimiliar with metro west cause I'm out east, so I can't say much other than Ive heard it has crime, I still see it in the news but not nearly as often as I did a few years ago.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
Compared to Boston or LA, Orlando is going to seem small and the crime and traffic that many complain about on this forum will not seem that bad. People just expect Orlando to be exactly like it was 10 years ago. In some areas it has declined and not planned properly for the explosive growth. In some other ways Orlando is getting bigger and better. There are more high paying jobs, a new arena, new attractions, more upscale and non-chain restaurants coming all the time, etc. GLS2010 was correct about a majority of the LGBT population is in the downtown areas like Thornton Park, Ivanhow Row area, College Park, Colonialtown, Winter Park, parts of Delaney Park. There are four gay male couples on my street in Conway, and those are just the ones I am aware of. The surburbs are much more family oriented and will have a dilluted population of gay people. I think you should avoid Metrowest of Millenia for the most part in the properties you listed. Lee Vista is nice but it is pretty suburban. Of the places you listed and the urban/gay friendly environment I assume you are looking for, the Maitland properties would be at the top of my list ... but I would also try to look at properties closer to downtown! Best of luck on your search and move!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I'd suggest either downtown or Colonialtown or College Park as the areas where a gay person will be the most accepted, although any of the areas suggested by the others above would work.

I wouldn't suggest Metrowest, it's as bad as they say. Seriously.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 AM

23 posts, read 57,161 times
Thumbs up thanks guys :) any connections at news stations?

TOTALLY AWESOME response, Wilshire. you instill faith in me that good people are still out there
i kind of just stumbled upon the conway area and it's looking really good. it's funny that you say there are gay couples there. it looks cute and possibly a match for me.
guess i just wanted to see overall how gay people were treated down there...
it's funny because i grew up in RURAL CT but went to school and lived in urban and suburban areas so I'm pretty much used to everything except flat cowland and plains...lol
you explained orlando well, i kind of figured that's how it was, but i love to hear people's opinions. these boards are great for "real" opinions, rather than a travel guide.
downtown looks like it's the place to be, it just might be a little out of my price range (i'm hoping not to spend over $750 for rent).
i also am very much so considering the maitland properties as they look beautiful and they may be closer to potential work (winter park/altamonte springs)
i think i will avoid metrowest...sounds too risky. thanks annerk.
as far as job-wise, this is a total shot in the dark, but if anyone has any connections at the local news stations in Orlando, please let me know!!

Thanks again!!
(Can't wait to wear flip flops year-round again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Compared to Boston or LA, Orlando is going to seem small and the crime and traffic that many complain about on this forum will not seem that bad. People just expect Orlando to be exactly like it was 10 years ago. In some areas it has declined and not planned properly for the explosive growth. In some other ways Orlando is getting bigger and better. There are more high paying jobs, a new arena, new attractions, more upscale and non-chain restaurants coming all the time, etc. GLS2010 was correct about a majority of the LGBT population is in the downtown areas like Thornton Park, Ivanhow Row area, College Park, Colonialtown, Winter Park, parts of Delaney Park. There are four gay male couples on my street in Conway, and those are just the ones I am aware of. The surburbs are much more family oriented and will have a dilluted population of gay people. I think you should avoid Metrowest of Millenia for the most part in the properties you listed. Lee Vista is nice but it is pretty suburban. Of the places you listed and the urban/gay friendly environment I assume you are looking for, the Maitland properties would be at the top of my list ... but I would also try to look at properties closer to downtown! Best of luck on your search and move!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
What type of work do you do? I have connections in local radio, not so much in television.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
I lived @ Arbors of Maitland Summit when I first moved to Central Fla. in 2001It was nice back then but since I moved out in 2003, I heard the management was acting kind of funny. I moved from O town in 2008 so I can't say how the area is now, but was quiet the last I remember. Real radio 104.1 is right down the street. Also RDV sportsplex, if you want to stay in shape. The rent was, like $650 a month for a 1 bedroom when I lived there.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,781 times
Maitland is a very nice area. It is a very family oriented area that is centrally located. I don't know about how gay friendly they are, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando