Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM

330 posts, read 1,081,404 times

Advertisements

How long would it take to get to cocoa beach from the winterpark area? I mean from getting in the car to sitting on the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
Probably an hour from Winter Park to Cocoa Bch.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,028,942 times
It depends on how fast you drive on highways. I go about 5 to 9 mph over the speed limit and get there in about 50 minutes from Maitland. It should take no longer than an hour from doorstep to beach parking lot.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 AM

330 posts, read 1,081,404 times
thanks, would that be the best choice as far as a beach goes? Anything better or closer?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,028,942 times
So many people like New Smyrna, but I much prefer Cocoa which is closer anyway. I don't like the harder sand at New Smyrna, and I don't like the cars parking on the beach atmosphere. Definitely a personal preference thing. I prefer a tranquil beach experience. At Cocoa if you find a metered parking space that is not near the main parking area you will not be near so many people.

However, unless you are a surfer or prefer waves, the beaches on the west coast are better...hands down. The sand is white and not hot to walk on even in direct sunlight because of the quartz. The water is turquoise, clear, and warm. The downside is the drive. You are looking at 1.5 hours each way, minimum. IMO, Clearwater is the best in the Tampa area, followed by St. Pete Beach. Indian Rocks Beach beach is a major vacation destination, but I didn't find it any more impressive than St. Pete Beach and definitely not on the level of Clearwater, which has a huge, expansive beach. The prettiest beach I have ever seen in Florida is Siesta Key in Sarasota.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM

229 posts, read 776,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
thanks, would that be the best choice as far as a beach goes? Anything better or closer?
way better-->Canaveral National Seashore(also known as Playalinda) and not that much farther than ugly gray filled with cigarrette butts sand Cocoa.

http://www.nps.gov/CANA/index.htm

Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
So many people like New Smyrna, but I much prefer Cocoa which is closer anyway. I don't like the harder sand at New Smyrna, and I don't like the cars parking on the beach atmosphere. Definitely a personal preference thing. I prefer a tranquil beach experience. At Cocoa if you find a metered parking space that is not near the main parking area you will not be near so many people.

However, unless you are a surfer or prefer waves, the beaches on the west coast are better...hands down. The sand is white and not hot to walk on even in direct sunlight because of the quartz. The water is turquoise, clear, and warm. The downside is the drive. You are looking at 1.5 hours each way, minimum. IMO, Clearwater is the best in the Tampa area, followed by St. Pete Beach. Indian Rocks Beach beach is a major vacation destination, but I didn't find it any more impressive than St. Pete Beach and definitely not on the level of Clearwater, which has a huge, expansive beach. The prettiest beach I have ever seen in Florida is Siesta Key in Sarasota.
New symrna beach is actually a bit closer to the people north of the 408, like winter park.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,698,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
way better-->Canaveral National Seashore(also known as Playalinda) and not that much farther than ugly gray filled with cigarrette butts sand Cocoa.

http://www.nps.gov/CANA/index.htm
Would you suggest packing drinks and lunch? Is there ANYTHING on Merritt Island in the way of food or drink? I could not find anything but we did not actually get to the beach, and I believe there is a $3 fee per person for the beach as well...correct?

I found Merritt Island to be an absolutely STUNNING place myself!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 AM

229 posts, read 776,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Would you suggest packing drinks and lunch? Is there ANYTHING on Merritt Island in the way of food or drink? I could not find anything but we did not actually get to the beach, and I believe there is a $3 fee per person for the beach as well...correct?

We normally pack a lunch/picnic ourselves, along with a beach umbrella.

There are no places to buy anything, but that is the way I like it. We normally look for a parking lot that is not crowded, walk a little away from the dune crossover, and then feel like we have the beach to ourselves.

There is a $3 per person entrance fee, but we buy the $35 year pass. We are two, so that pays for the first 6 visits, an the rest are basically free.

The park closes at 8pm in the summer, so we have driven there after work on a week day and enjoyed some unwinding time.

There is also the mosquito lagoon side where you can put in your kayak, canoe or small boat and go fishing.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,806,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post

I have never paid a fee for any of the beaches I've gone to except the admittance to the National Seashore in Titusville. I tend to go to Lori Wilson which is free including parking. There are other places all up and down the shore that are free. Some have showers, some not.

There are many places to eat on 520 including Wendys, BK, McNastys, Chilis, Olive Garden, and several others. There are 7-11's for drinks and such. I packa 52 oz racetrac cup and that gets me through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando