Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
i'm not sure if you are responding to his quote about puerto ricans or NY Drivers... either way, a NY Driver isn't necessarily bad, sure there are the bad apples and plenty of em everywhere, but if anything else, someone who drives around NYC is just more aggressive, but can still be a GOOD driver.

FL just has a bad mix in many areas because of the folks who are from all over, with their ownn driving habits - and yes, many of them drive aggressively. Way too aggressively. But the worst are the ones that drive like idiots just because they obviously dont care.

I'll never forget the time I was coming home and close to my house. A side road to my right comes to a stop (like a "T") and you have to turn left a right at the stop sign. A family in this van, NJ plate, just came flying right through the stopsign and made the right turn. they must have turned right going 15 or 20 miles an hour. Luckily, I saw them to my right from a distance, and thought, "man these people are flying! Are they gonna even stop at their stopsign?" So luckily I slowed down and they missed hitting me. And I thought "Man, what idiots! They must be kids in that van." No. They werent. It was a 30-40 something yr old man with wife and kids in the van. It was bizzarre. The problem is, it's not the first, second or third time I've seen something this ridiculous. I see it a lot here in Orlando. They were hispanic, not sure if they were Puerto Rican or not, but most likely, they were. Not from NY but from NJ.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
LOL, tell me about it. Trust me, I know that.

I'm a good driver as well. So that's why, for people like us, Orlando is so frustrating of a place to drive in.
I've only driven in two major cities. Orlando and Jacksonville. Jacksonville is far worse. Its not so much that the drivers are bad, but the set up of the roads and traffic lights are downright daffy!

I-4 might get backed up in the mornings when people are on their way to work. But its always moving at least 30 mph (at least impe) impe means in my personal experience btw!

I-10 is a lot worse believe me. Especially where it meets I-95 there is so much construction there it is ridiculous. They have been doing road construction in Downtown Jacksonville since 1996, and wont end liekly until 2017! 21 years of road construction, widening 408 seems to be taking forever but it wont take that long. Widening East Colonial probably will though

Blanding Blvd in Orange Park (southwest of Jax) is worse then driving on OBT during rush hour. The traffic lights are not synchronized AT ALL, on OBT you can get a few red lights but you will get far more green ones. Blanding Blvd every light is red, and they are more frequent.

Driving in Jacksonville makes me wanna rip my own hair out. Once again I'll take Orlando.

I drove with my father once through New York City, we drove right into Manhattan (those taxi drivers are nuts) We also got caught in rush hour traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway (makes I-4 look easy) or try paying $5 to cross the Throg's Neck bridge from the Bronx into Queens?

You'd be more willing to fork over that $1.25 on 417 next time wouldn't you?

Orlando isn't the wosr place to drive IMO

Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I drove with my father once through New York City, we drove right into Manhattan (those taxi drivers are nuts) We also got caught in rush hour traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway (makes I-4 look easy) or try paying $5 to cross the Throg's Neck bridge from the Bronx into Queens?

You'd be more willing to fork over that $1.25 on 417 next time wouldn't you?

Orlando isn't the wosr place to drive IMO
I have driven through the city countless times and you think $5 is bad.. is up to $11 the direction of Staten Island now unless you are a resident, and then its just over $7, lol. Any of the Hudson River crossings are $8 unless you have EZPass... its nuts

Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
I have driven through the city countless times and you think $5 is bad.. is up to $11 the direction of Staten Island now unless you are a resident, and then its just over $7, lol. Any of the Hudson River crossings are $8 unless you have EZPass... its nuts
thats why when we drove to FL we took the GW bridge, no toll if you were going into NJ. Didn't like forking over $7 on the NJ turnpike though

Next question. You are at Publix, and looking for a parking spot. You are in a hurry as you have guests over tonight. You come to the crosswalk between the exit of the store and the parking lot. You see a woman with a baby stroller waiting to cross, you are pulling up to the stop sign what do you do?

A. Actually come to a complete stop, wave the lady so she can cross safely with her child, get honked at by the line of cars behind you
B. RUn the stop sign and nearly miss hitting the stroller
C. Let the lady cross but honk your horn continuously until she has crossed. Offending her and making her previously sleeping baby start crying?

Last edited by DavieJ89; 12-23-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
thats why when we drove to FL we took the GW bridge, no toll if you were going into NJ. Didn't like forking over $7 on the NJ turnpike though

Next question. You are at Publix, and looking for a parking spot. You are in a hurry as you have guests over tonight. You come to the crosswalk between the exit of the store and the parking lot. You see a woman with a baby stroller waiting to cross, you are pulling up to the stop sign what do you do?

A. Actually come to a complete stop, wave the lady so she can cross safely with her child, get honked at by the line of cars behind you
B. RUn the stop sign and nearly miss hitting the stroller
C. Let the lady cross but honk your horn continuously until she has crossed. Offending her and making her previously sleeping baby start crying?

In Orlando, A, B and C are all good answers to this question.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
[/b]

In Orlando, A, B and C are all good answers to this question.
I got another one Com..

You're driving down John Young Parkway during evening rush, the road is crowded (moving at a good speed though) A fire truck is screaming down the road traveling in the same direction, what do you do?

A. Ignore him, and dont move out of his way, block him causing an infant to die in a fire because you HAD to be first

B. Ignore him, though not intentionally. You are playing 102 Jamz at a volume so loud you and ALL the other cars dont hear him coming, Continue jamming to Nelly's "Shake Ya Tailfeather" causing an infant to die in a fire because you HAD to listen to "Ma jam son"

C. Actually pull onto the shoulder, slow down, let him pass. The infant who was in the fire is rescued becasue the firemen got their on time. Pat yourself on the back. You indirectly helped save a human life

Old 12-24-2009, 04:28 AM

42 posts, read 119,186 times
That speed limit is way to low for a highway like I-4. I think they do that so they can give out more speeding tickets and generate revenue. It just doesn't make any sense to go from 65 mph to 50 on a major highway.

Just a thought......

Old 12-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelceriale View Post
That speed limit is way to low for a highway like I-4. I think they do that so they can give out more speeding tickets and generate revenue. It just doesn't make any sense to go from 65 mph to 50 on a major highway.

Just a thought......
As far as I know, the speed limit on I-4 in the Orlando area breaks down like this

Its 65 mph in Osceola County between 429 and Central Florida Parkway

It drops to 55 from Central Florida Parkway to Orange Blossom Trail

It drops to 50 from Orange Blossom Trail to Maitland Blvd

Back up to 55 between Maitland and 434

Back up to 65 mph between 434 and Lake Mary Blvd

Tops at 70 mph from Lake Mary Blvd to the I-4/I-95 interchange in Daytona Beach

I can understand to an extent why its 50 between OBT and Maitland (essentailly thats downtown and Winter Park) The area is heavily developed and I-4 has a lot of ups and downs and twists and turns. I would never go more then 75 in this part of I-4. I typically do about 65-70 in this area.

I think 55 or 60 would be a more realistic speed limit. I tried going 50 once on I-4 going though downtown, I didnt feel comfortable going at that speed, everybody was flying by me like I was standing still, and it seemed to take forever to drive between the 408 and Lake Ivanhoe Blvd. I jumped back up to 65 and began keeping up with everybody else, I didnt feel like I was about to be rear ended keeping up with the flow, even though I was 15 over the limit

They didnt make the speed limit that low to write more tickets and get more revenue. When roads are built I think they actually do studies and research on conditions of the road, look at speed limits of similar roads and look into trilions of other things before deciding on a speed limit. 50 and even 55 on certain parts of I-4 is too low

Other roads speed limits are actually quite realistic. Ex. John Young Parkway between Sand Lake Road and Hunter's Creek the speed limit is 55. I dont think that limit is too low (though Im sure it will still decrease over time as that area becomes more developed) OBT's speed limit is 45 north of Taft Vineland Rd, Id say thats pretty realistic

Ones I think are too low, John Young Parkway between the first baptist church and the 408 its 35!!!!!! WAY too low, 45 would be more realistic in that area. 65 mph on all parts of 417 is too low. 70 or 75 would be more realistic, especially along the south end of 417 where development is still relatively sparse and that stretch of road is still very lightly traveled (between Landstar Blvd and Narcoossee Rd)

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
I would certainly like to know where you get these "facts".
MOST states don't impound cars. Its usually a local ordinance, not a state oridinance.

There is plenty of incentive to get insurance in FL.
1. Its required by law.
2. You cant get insurance with out a registered car.

Florida DOES Not lead the national in uninsured drivers. If you disagree show the facts.

Driving with a suspended DL will lead to your arrest in Florida.

Impounding may require someone to get insurance to get the car out of the impound, pay the fees, but why have this extra level of discipline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But in most states if you have no car insurance...you're car is getting impounded...not here.

So there is no incentive to get car insurance in FL...which is why it leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

Yes they get a ticket..and yes eventually the DL gets supspended...so then they drive on a suspended DL.

Impounding the vehicle(like most states do) forces the owner to get insurance.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Can you provide a source for your statisic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually Orlando, Tampa, Miami and then Jacksonville are listed as the most deadly cities for hit and runs in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando