Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

In NYC I was driving down a 4 lane road (2 lanes each direction).
Car in front of me stopped, put it in park, got out of car, locked the doors and walked away. It took me a while before I could get into the moving lane of traffic to go around this guy.

I guess they are "trained" better because I've never seen that in Florida.

Where did you get your "training". How do other states "train" drivers?

Can't anyone get a drivers license in other states or do you have to be at some certain level to get one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The correct answer in Florida is B)...have seen it time and time again...there seems to be no awareness that there are other cars on the road...you just don't do what suits you....it should depend on what is around you at the time.

Or how about the people who stop for no reason because they're looking for a business on road that is say 50 mph.....just stop...the hell with everyone else.

And it isn't all tranplants.... a FL trained driver is a poorly trained driver..anyone can get a DL here.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 AM

I get that feeling too. I've driven in a lot of states and have seen
most of these occurances happen in most of the places I have visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've seen the same thing happen all over the country. I'm really beginning to think that most of you ahve never left the state of Florida.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,767 times
you know what I just realized from this thread, thanks to Spring Hillian joining us...

Comsense seems to hate anything from the Northeast (see the thread about the guy trying to date) and says thats the reason for bad driving, that its all ny/nj etc people here.. and Seain, another Florida hater, says its Florida natives who can't drive..

Funny, either way, I agree with annerk and Spring Hillian that if you pay attention anywhere, you will find bad drivers... bottom line

Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
you know what I just realized from this thread, thanks to Spring Hillian joining us...

Comsense seems to hate anything from the Northeast (see the thread about the guy trying to date) and says thats the reason for bad driving, that its all ny/nj etc people here.. and Seain, another Florida hater, says its Florida natives who can't drive..

Funny, either way, I agree with annerk and Spring Hillian that if you pay attention anywhere, you will find bad drivers... bottom line

Uhh... if you ask DavieJ, the guy with the thread about dating, it's pretty clear that I was teasing him. Remember he talked about female hillbilies with no teeth and how southern girls arent as attractive to him? Note the Connecticut comment, as that is where he's from. He didnt take offense, neither did I about the "hillbilly" comment. I do truly believe however, that a large part of the bad driving here in Orlando and South FL is the people from NY/NJ. I, as well as many others do believe that.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:09 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Uhh... if you ask DavieJ, the guy with the thread about dating, it's pretty clear that I was teasing him. Remember he talked about female hillbilies with no teeth and how southern girls arent as attractive to him? Note the Connecticut comment, as that is where he's from. He didnt take offense, neither did I about the "hillbilly" comment. I do truly believe however, that a large part of the bad driving here in Orlando and South FL is the people from NY/NJ. I, as well as many others do believe that.
sorry, didn't know you were joking, i read through like 3 pages of that thread this morning..

to each their own on the bad drivers, I just think its funny how one person says they are a local product, another says its NY/NJ's fault... Being an aggressive driver doesn't make you a bad driver and thats the biggest thing NY/NJ people are likely known for cause its how you HAVE to drive there. Again, its only been a few months i've been in Florida (between Miami, Orlando and Daytona) and I have seen nothign that makes me think "oh my god what a terrible driver!" and the way people are on this board and this thread, you'd think I should see them many times a day... bad drivers happen

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I do have a sense of humor, thanks for noticing. Same goes for you. I would never intentionally insult somebody even if I truly hated them

Any comments I make about southern girls or anything southern related is all in good fun, and Com Im glad you havent taken offense!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Ok seems like we have gotten off topic, lets get back on the topic of this thread please! FYI this is not a chat room.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I would certainly like to know where you get these "facts".
MOST states don't impound cars. Its usually a local ordinance, not a state oridinance.

There is plenty of incentive to get insurance in FL.
1. Its required by law.
2. You cant get insurance with out a registered car.

Florida DOES Not lead the national in uninsured drivers. If you disagree show the facts.

Driving with a suspended DL will lead to your arrest in Florida.

Impounding may require someone to get insurance to get the car out of the impound, pay the fees, but why have this extra level of discipline?
Actually you CAN get insurance without a registered car. You can insure a car that is titled to you but not registered. You CAN'T register a car without insurance--maybe that's what you meant?

The state of NJ will not only impound your car but will suspend your license for a year--MANDATORY, no hardship exceptions--if you are caught driving without insurance, even if it's not your car! I wish Florida would do the same.

Why impound the car? Because what are you going to do? Let them drive off in their uninsured vehicle?

Most northeastern states have impound laws, those are state--not local--laws. And they make sense.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Yes, I didnt think of the title thing. That would let you get insurance, but cant reggie without it. Thanks for the clarification.

I think impound is stupid. Its costly. If person gets stopped and says "gee, I dont have my insurance card with me" and they take the car and then the guy shows up in court with proof of insurance, well, I would think he gets off on the towing/storage fees for the mandatory impound.
First, the law enforcement person better PROVE I DONT have insurance before taking my car. If you can PROVE it, take it. If you cant, leave me alone, give me the ticket for driving with out the PROOF and thats that. IF I show up in court to answer the fine and DONT HAVE INSURANCE, arrest me.

Sorry, they dont make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually you CAN get insurance without a registered car. You can insure a car that is titled to you but not registered. You CAN'T register a car without insurance--maybe that's what you meant?

The state of NJ will not only impound your car but will suspend your license for a year--MANDATORY, no hardship exceptions--if you are caught driving without insurance, even if it's not your car! I wish Florida would do the same.

Why impound the car? Because what are you going to do? Let them drive off in their uninsured vehicle?

Most northeastern states have impound laws, those are state--not local--laws. And they make sense.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yes, I didnt think of the title thing. That would let you get insurance, but cant reggie without it. Thanks for the clarification.

I think impound is stupid. Its costly. If person gets stopped and says "gee, I dont have my insurance card with me" and they take the car and then the guy shows up in court with proof of insurance, well, I would think he gets off on the towing/storage fees for the mandatory impound.
First, the law enforcement person better PROVE I DONT have insurance before taking my car. If you can PROVE it, take it. If you cant, leave me alone, give me the ticket for driving with out the PROOF and thats that. IF I show up in court to answer the fine and DONT HAVE INSURANCE, arrest me.

Sorry, they dont make sense to me.
In NJ the insurance is tied in with DMV. As soon as you cancel insurance or let it lapse, the insurance company sends the state notification electronically and it hits the database. So if you get pulled over and have insurance but don't have the card on that, the officer can verify this when they run your tag. In this case they won't impound, just give you a summons for driving without the card, which you can generally get dismissed by showing up in court with the card.

Is it foolproof? Nothing is. But in the nine years I lived there, I never heard of them towing anyone's car who actually did have a valid policy in place. So the incidence of it happening is obviously miniscule. Frankly I'd rather have one person get their car towed erroneously every five years than have some uninsured idiot hit me.

And having had first hand experience with the State of NJ making a huge boo-boo that cost me a lot of time, money and aggravation, I can also say that in the end they made it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando