Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, I believe it. I left Orlando in 2005 and live in PA now, and while there are bad drivers here too, I still have not seen the utterly insane nonsense that I saw in Orlando. Here's some examples of the really extreme incidents that stuck in my memory over the years of what I witnessed on the roads in Orlando:

- A man shaving while driving on I-4

- A man reading a newspaper that was spread out over the steering wheel while driving on I-4

- Someone in a green Saturn, changing lanes erratically and randomly opening the driver side door while driving down I-4, even once sticking his foot out of the open door. (trying to stop the car Flintstones style?)

- a car COMPLETELY STOPPED in the left lane of I-4, while the people inside were reading a map, oblivious to the honking and backup they were causing.

- some woman speeding in the Apopka Walmart parking lot....and by speeding I mean, flooring the accelerator while reaching what had to be at least 40 mph while driving through the main aisle in front of the store where pedestrians are crossing.

- someone almost hitting me while changing lanes on I-4. Then after I honked at him and he got back in his lane, he immediately did it again, this time coming entirely into my lane while I had to come to almost a complete stop halfway in the shoulder while he tried to get off at the Fairbanks exit.

- People driving with their hazards on in the rain...oh wait, EVERYONE does this down there. lol
Wow, bazaar stories, but to be honest, in Eat Orlando, I could see all those incidents in a week or two, no kidding! It's actually worse now and unfortunately will probably not get any better. You actually reminded me of the woman I saw eating a bowl of cereal on the 408 while driving, I'm completely serious!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Oh, and this...

Working by the Millenia area some last year, I remember coming to the light at Conroy and Millenia Lakes or whatever it's called. A hispanic woman was texting away at the light. It was red. And then it turned green and she was still texting. The light went from green, to yellow and then to red. People were honking at her - I would have been too - I'm patient but not that patient! She looked up finally and then made her turn -the problem was- it had turned red by this time. She just looked up, the light was now RED, and she made her turn anyway. Nobody else behind her even moved, and she just blantantly runs through the red light.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, I believe it. I left Orlando in 2005 and live in PA now, and while there are bad drivers here too, I still have not seen the utterly insane nonsense that I saw in Orlando. Here's some examples of the really extreme incidents that stuck in my memory over the years of what I witnessed on the roads in Orlando:

- A man shaving while driving on I-4

- A man reading a newspaper that was spread out over the steering wheel while driving on I-4

- Someone in a green Saturn, changing lanes erratically and randomly opening the driver side door while driving down I-4, even once sticking his foot out of the open door. (trying to stop the car Flintstones style?)

- a car COMPLETELY STOPPED in the left lane of I-4, while the people inside were reading a map, oblivious to the honking and backup they were causing.

- some woman speeding in the Apopka Walmart parking lot....and by speeding I mean, flooring the accelerator while reaching what had to be at least 40 mph while driving through the main aisle in front of the store where pedestrians are crossing.

- someone almost hitting me while changing lanes on I-4. Then after I honked at him and he got back in his lane, he immediately did it again, this time coming entirely into my lane while I had to come to almost a complete stop halfway in the shoulder while he tried to get off at the Fairbanks exit.

- People driving with their hazards on in the rain...oh wait, EVERYONE does this down there. lol
I have seen similar things on the road. I once saw a young Puerto Rican girl about my age who was texting with her non-smoking hand while steering with her knee!

I'll make a list of drivers we need to get off the road
-The drivers who go 10-30 mph below the speed limit, on the cell or not
-Drivers who dart from the far left to make a right turn
-Drivers who sit at a red light waiting to turn right and nothing is coming
-Any foreign tourists (specifically Brazilians) they shouldn't be allowed to drive. I cant begin to say how many times I nearly hit a Brazilian family because they stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture or read their maps
-Anybody who owns a suped up late 80s early 90s Honda Civic. This is not Fast and the Furious so don't go double the limit and weave in and out of lanes like you're racing Vin Diesel
-Drivers who stop to look at an accident
-People who slow down to 30mph in the E-Pass express lanes (the new ones where you can maintain your speed and not slow down)

Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Wow, bazaar stories, but to be honest, in Eat Orlando, I could see all those incidents in a week or two, no kidding! It's actually worse now and unfortunately will probably not get any better. You actually reminded me of the woman I saw eating a bowl of cereal on the 408 while driving, I'm completely serious!
I once was eating a McDonald's double cheeseburger while flying up 417. Is that so bad?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,306 times
Default Just visiting

I was there for the LSU and Penn State game and the traffic was insane,people what I call Nascar you they get get inches from your bumber then they dart out and pass you its like if i have to break that person will rear end me then I was at a yield for on coming traffic and this guy behind me was laying on his horn like I was going to turn into on coming traffic and hit some one because he was blowing his horn then when it was our turn to go he got into the other lane and went about 40 feet and had to stop and I drove on passed him and waved my hand at him as I drove by.I just thought people down here are really tensed about traffic I just laughed. I must say though I was there for a week and a lot of drivers were very courteous I would be in the wrong lane or I would have change lanes and turn, a lot of people let me over and there were plenty who did not but that's the way it is in most congested traffic areas.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,288 times
Quote:
Anyone else encounter these bazaar drivers in Orlando? I mean, who am I kidding, we all do. But I seem to encounter so many in just my area alone. Dont even need to get onto the 408 or I4.

I went to Publix this afternoon, literally a 3 minute drive... and here's what happened just on my way there. Remember, 3 miles. Very light traffic too, so keep that in mind. I am heading to Avalon Pk Blvd going the speed limit, and someone pulls out of a shooping center right in front of me like they didnt even see me. If they would have pulled out earlier, it wouldnt have been a big deal, but it's almost like they waited for me to get close. What the he//? Crusing down Avalon Pk Blvd, not even a half of a mile later, and someone in the right lane is literally going 15 mph (not an older person either). Everyone had to go around them. They almost came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. No flashers. Nothing was wrong. They were just totally oblivious of their surroundings. What a moron. I then get to a stopsign, so I am slowing down as I approach, and an idiot in the left lane makes a RIGHT turn at the stopsign and cuts off the car in the right lane who was trying to turn. Thinking this has to be it, no more idiots, right? Wrong. I am coming into the Publix shooping center and I am about to park as I am going down the lane in the parking lot, but guess what? Someone is trying to park their car in the same lane, but they are coming from the WRONG direction. Instead of coming in like I did, he came from the opposite side, which is the side people are supposed to exit out of! A few cars had to go around this guy because he was coming in the wrong way!

All this in my short, 3 minute trip to Publix. Is it East Orlando, or is it that bad everywhere in Orlando? I just came back from Asheville NC and it's just amazing how uncomplicated things are there. Then I come back to this BS, and it makes we wanna pull my hair out!
I know what you mean and what you describe is common throughout Orlando and the state of Florida to a slightly lesser extent.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,288 times
They're really terrible in Orlando. People run redlights constantly, they rarely use turn signals, and haven't a clue as to how to keep pace with other drivers. there are hundreds of threads about this nightmare.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
I'll never forget the time I was traveling westbound on Sandlake Rd. right near I Drive where it splits to go over the bridge and saw an oncoming car heading right at me, assumed it was a UK tourist.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
LOL. . .I am not a stickler for spelling or typos because we are all guilty at some juncture, but I read the title of this thread and I got a chuckle, wondered what it was about, seems the word 'bazaar' is incorrect in this context, you may have meant 'bizarre'.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Quote:
Thats bull ****. Theres no way you could see all those incidents in a matter of a week or two. I never seen all those incidents in my who life of living in east orlando, east orlando isn't even bad compared to the tourist areas of orlando and I-4.. You exaggerate way to much man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando