Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 PM

29 posts, read 68,605 times

Advertisements

Hello, Floridians, I'm a 25 year old girl, Filipino, born and raised in North Jersey, pursuing a career in mental health counseling. For some reason, accredited mental health counseling programs aren't as abundant up here as they are down there... So I wanted to get a bit of background info on the area before I waste my time researching a school I couldn't stand to live by, and some of the schools I'm considering (Rollins, UCF and Stetson) are in the Orlando area ...

About me ... since i've lived less than half an hour from NYC all my life, a bit of culture and diversity is a must ... I don't mind city/towns with a little bit of so-called "ghetto"-ness (I've lived in New Brunswick and on the outskirts of Newark before) but I don't want to fear for my life. An area with a decent twenties scene would be preferable, but I'm definitely over the whole party raging scene.

How comfortable would I be in Orlando, Winter Park or Deland? Or at the aforementioned schools, if anyone is familiar with them ...

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
The UCF and winterpark area kinda connect along University blvd. The areas are not ghetto at all, esp winter park. I think you will be pretty comfortable anywhere in the general area. There is a bigger 20s crowed in the UCF area than winter park area though.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
UCF is becoming a really major medical school so for your career I think it'd be an excellent choice. It's also relatively close to downtown Orlando which will provide you with what culture and entertainment there is

Rollins is a really good school as well and has an absolutely gorgeous campus, and Winter Park itself is just a really pretty town. If I were to go to a school in Orlando I would go there.. I currently go to college in Manhattan but just driving through the campus the other day made me was to transfer haha.

I don't know much about Stetson but DeLand is a small town that's pretty rural. It's nothing like NYC, but you may want to look into it more anyway.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Deland may be something of a culture shock to you.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
Since you are from NJ, I would say downtown Winter Park is sort of comparable to Princeton, NJ.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
I love Rollins College and the Winter Park. [mod]no links with less than ten posts[/mod]

Last edited by Granny Sue; 09-19-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: no links with less than 10 posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: