Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

I just saw on WESH2 news that there is talk that Baldwin Park will possibly be offering senior housing and "affordable" (public housing). Not sure if it is 100% going to happen, but it definitely said it may be in the works. Yikes! Anyone live in BP, and did you hear about this yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 PM

78 posts, read 259,382 times
I heard this eariler in the news

Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
The result of lax zoning laws and almost no small individual towns or cities that operate independent within their own boundaries.

When a town or city has to rely on the county\state for any or all of the following: schools, police, fire, public works, parks and recreation, planning and zoning, water\sewer, etc..., than the county\state usually have the final say on things like this. Greed wins.

Neighborhoods are destroyed, schools decline, public safety is more of a concern, and the area loses it's charm and character (if it ever had any).

In short, "There goes the neighborhood"...... or in this case, "There goes ANOTHER neighborhood"

Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
I saw the same report on WESH 2 this morning. The senior thing might not be so bad, but the low income housing could really bring down an otherwise great neighborhood (in which I can only afford to live in my dreams.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,429 times
Not to worry.

We had the same thing in Birmingham, MI (think Winter Park w/o palm trees) years ago. People worried and nothing happened.

Seniors are 55+ and low income meant a lot of teachers.

Heck they can afford Subway and Five Guys and maybe bring in some more affordable restaurants with some quality to Baldwin Park. We need it!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 AM

Avalon Park area brought in low-income housing towards 50/Colonial, and a guy got shot in the middle of the day in on the sidewalk of the apartment complex. I wouldnt be suprised if a lot of the gang issues/theft/etc. were also a result of the low income housing.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 AM

335 posts, read 1,310,940 times
First, crime of any kind can and has happened in any neighborhood regardless of the income level of its residents. For all those who complain about seniors just remember one day you will be one and may be a victim of your own prejudice.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
The result of lax zoning laws and almost no small individual towns or cities that operate independent within their own boundaries.

When a town or city has to rely on the county\state for any or all of the following: schools, police, fire, public works, parks and recreation, planning and zoning, water\sewer, etc..., than the county\state usually have the final say on things like this. Greed wins.

Neighborhoods are destroyed, schools decline, public safety is more of a concern, and the area loses it's charm and character (if it ever had any).

In short, "There goes the neighborhood"...... or in this case, "There goes ANOTHER neighborhood"
Just to clarify my own previous post, I am referring to the "low income housing", and not the senior housing when I said, "there goes another neighborhood".

I have no concern or reluctance for senior housing.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
First, crime of any kind can and has happened in any neighborhood regardless of the income level of its residents. For all those who complain about seniors just remember one day you will be one and may be a victim of your own prejudice.

The seniors usually dont bring in crime.

Yes, beachguy, crime can happen anywhere. Do you think the folks in Baldwin Park will be saying that if low income housing is brought in? Or do you think they might be concerned?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
I think this will cause a huge problem. Consider not only in terms of crime but also lowering the value of the neighbourhood.

Baldwin Park essentially marketed itself as an alternative to Celebration, with many of the same builders, a downtown area and the such. That was how it managed to command such a high price tag, and even though it is located in a pretty bad area and you only have to drive out to 50 to see this, this is no differnt to Celebration because that backs onto the neon tourist experience of 192.

However with the introduction of low income housing, this will in effect devalue the home prices of everyones home in the neighbourhood. Keep in mind many of the homes in the boom were being sold for over a million dollars. When the market recovers who in their right mind would pay that sort of money when just down the road is low income housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando