Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times

Advertisements

Downtown is covered in trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
my subdivision has many big old oak trees. i love it

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,073 times
Unfortunately, this is very common around Orlando and points east. If you're lucky enough to have trees they are short and scrawny and provide very little shade from the intense sun. As soon as you head west towards Sumter, western Polk, and eastern Hillsborough counties and the gulf side of the state there are many more big live oaks and thick forests. Lake county and south and east have a lot of flat land with scrub growth.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Unfortunately, this is very common around Orlando and points east. If you're lucky enough to have trees they are short and scrawny and provide very little shade from the intense sun. As soon as you head west towards Sumter, western Polk, and eastern Hillsborough counties and the gulf side of the state there are many more big live oaks and thick forests. Lake county and south and east have a lot of flat land with scrub growth.
Have you ever been to Lake County? Flat land and scrub growth?

How about rolling hills full of old growth live oak draped in Spanish moss.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM

228 posts, read 536,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
In some states developers are required to plant/replace a certain percentage of trees in new subdivisions/new construction, for preservation and conservation, i.e, for every x amount of trees they remove they are required to replace them with x amount. I don’t know what the forestry/tree department laws are in Florida, if any, but it makes sense to keep/plant trees especially in new construction/ subdivisions. I do not understand why this is not the case in Florida, maybe someone with knowledge to this effect can chime in.
You are correct for specimen trees. Remove a 16" oak and you must replace it with 2 - 8", 4 - 4" and so on. Most municipalities have strict landscaping requirements for subdivisions. I have never seen a subdivision without any trees. To develop land in florida, most sites require fill (dirt) to bring the grades up for drainage and bring it out of the floodplain. Most trees can not survive with fill being placed in and around their dripline, so they are removed. Some build "tree wells" with retaining walls, but I have yet to see these trees last more than 5 years. Tree relocation is another option depending on the size of the tree. Relocated trees have about a 50 / 50 chance of surviving.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM

228 posts, read 536,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
There's no trees in my subdivision either. I wish builders would keep some trees instead of tearing them all down. Al lthe houses in my subdivision have the exact same landscape, one tree by the road, and 2 palms next two house.
Did you not notice this when you bought the house? If you buy a new house many builders offer a upgrade landscaping option, for more money of course, which will include more trees, plants, etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Everyone has the exact same landscape. The HOA is so nitpicky, they wont even let you remove a tree. I have added some trees myself though.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM

200 posts, read 538,317 times
IMO, the fewer trees, the better.
  • Hurricanes. If an area has many trees, hurricanes will push them down and make a HUGE mess all over the streets and even fall on some houses. Believe me, I've been through many hurricanes and have seen it all.
  • Plumbing. Many trees may grow roots into the pipes and that's a major headache. Even small bushes can be a big problem.
  • Clear view of sky. I don't need to worry about some big trees blocking my view of the space shuttle launches. I find it relaxing to look at the beautiful blue sky from my patio.
  • Less garden work. It is so easy to cut the grass and rake. My last house had many pine trees, the pine sap would get on the cars and average yard work had 20 HEAVY bags of pine needles.
  • Keeps animals away from property.

I don't mind some bushes and a SMALL tree or two on a lot. Many subdivisions (mine included) have conservation areas - plenty of trees there. That is where the animals belong.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
I think if you live in a subdivision thats just row after row of similar looking homes and few if any trees my best suggestion is to plant a few trees or perhaps try to get a home with no rear neighbors and have the woods as your backyard, though this can be risky as who really knows whats living in there

In the 32837 and 32824 zip codes which are South Orlando for those who don't know. A lot of subdivisions that opened between 1980-2000 in Hunter's Creek and Meadow Woods have rows and rows of homes with fairly large trees, while still being cookie cutter subdivisions. The same could apply for several subdivisions in Buenaventura Lakes in Kissimmee as well.

A lot of subdivisions built in the 80s or 90s have lots of trees. And thats actually when a vast majority of Orlando's subdivisions were built. The exception being Avalon Park which is all brand new, along with Independence out in Windermere, Lake Nona, and Lee Vista Blvd area as well

Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I think if you live in a subdivision thats just row after row of similar looking homes and few if any trees my best suggestion is to plant a few trees or perhaps try to get a home with no rear neighbors and have the woods as your backyard, though this can be risky as who really knows whats living in there

In the 32837 and 32824 zip codes which are South Orlando for those who don't know. A lot of subdivisions that opened between 1980-2000 in Hunter's Creek and Meadow Woods have rows and rows of homes with fairly large trees, while still being cookie cutter subdivisions. The same could apply for several subdivisions in Buenaventura Lakes in Kissimmee as well.

A lot of subdivisions built in the 80s or 90s have lots of trees. And thats actually when a vast majority of Orlando's subdivisions were built. The exception being Avalon Park which is all brand new, along with Independence out in Windermere, Lake Nona, and Lee Vista Blvd area as well

Yeah, it takes a while for trees to mature, so it looks pretty "blah" in the early stages. But I think that once the trees are 15-20 yrs old, they'l be big and it will look good. The problem is, the subdivision itself (the homes and the folks living in them) dont always hold up real well. That's even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando