Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
You are correct for specimen trees. Remove a 16" oak and you must replace it with 2 - 8", 4 - 4" and so on. Most municipalities have strict landscaping requirements for subdivisions. I have never seen a subdivision without any trees. To develop land in florida, most sites require fill (dirt) to bring the grades up for drainage and bring it out of the floodplain. Most trees can not survive with fill being placed in and around their dripline, so they are removed. Some build "tree wells" with retaining walls, but I have yet to see these trees last more than 5 years. Tree relocation is another option depending on the size of the tree. Relocated trees have about a 50 / 50 chance of surviving.
Thank you for that information FL Developer, I was curious about tree replacement requirements after some comments here about subdivisions lacking trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I think if you live in a subdivision thats just row after row of similar looking homes and few if any trees my best suggestion is to plant a few trees or perhaps try to get a home with no rear neighbors and have the woods as your backyard, though this can be risky as who really knows whats living in there

In the 32837 and 32824 zip codes which are South Orlando for those who don't know. A lot of subdivisions that opened between 1980-2000 in Hunter's Creek and Meadow Woods have rows and rows of homes with fairly large trees, while still being cookie cutter subdivisions. The same could apply for several subdivisions in Buenaventura Lakes in Kissimmee as well.

A lot of subdivisions built in the 80s or 90s have lots of trees. And thats actually when a vast majority of Orlando's subdivisions were built. The exception being Avalon Park which is all brand new, along with Independence out in Windermere, Lake Nona, and Lee Vista Blvd area as well
Avalon park was started in the 90s and the main Waterford lakes subdivisions were built I'm the 90s

Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 28,429 times
College Park, Winter Park and the Delany/ Lancaster park are all old neighborhoods that have amazing old trees. There a homes of every price available and they all have A rated schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando