Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,991 times

Advertisements

So my family is seriously considering moving to Florida, more so the Orlando area (Polk County, Orange County). But in making this move a lot of things would have to happen, and fall into place. We would have to maintain our home in Michigan while my husband goes to Florida until things are settled up here. My main concern is cost of living down there. I have a few questions that maybe someone would be willing to help with.

First- How much do rentals cost? Would it be cheaper for my husband to be looking at a house to rent or simply some motel living for a couple months?

Second- Can someone give me the round-a-bout costs on things like electricity, gas, cable, water, etc. etc.? As we really need to know if we can make this happen, as he will be taking a slight pay cut in transferring.

Third- I could use some information on the school systems. This is a big concern for me as I'm sure it is for any parent. Is there certain schools/areas that we should not even consider? Hoping not to offend anyone, but my kids go to a predominately white, small (not a big city) school. Going to a bigger school will be a huge change for them to begin with, but really unsure of how they would handle becoming a minority in a school system. And no I'm not a racist, just stating the facts.

And last but not least, we will be looking for a working class area to move to. We won't fit in with Dr's and Lawyers... but looking for the average every day Joe, I go to work to provide for my family areas. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you may provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 PM

793 posts, read 2,515,146 times
What area of Orlando will the job be located? To help with utilities what sq.ft. of home so anyone who replies can compare better.

Check out Seminole County for schools, google Orange County, Seminole County etc... county schools for complete information.

Lake Mary is one of the areas for schools and family life, made top 100 best cities 3 years in a row with 2 of the years placing 4th.

Winter Springs, Wekiva Springs are other good areas.

Hope this helps,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando