Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTruth View Post
I also support US Representative Alcee Hastings from Florida that along with other Florida politicians is rushing a bill through to start granting 10 year TPS to Haitian Evacuees to come to Florida. They also state that in the long run Florida would benefit from these new residents, as they would contribute to the Florida economy.
Bull. Explain how illiterate people (55% of Haitians can't read, the average haitian gets 1.5 years of schooling) can contribute to an economy already over run with illiterate people, very high unemployment, skyrocketing property taxes, and a crime problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
This really pisses me off ,why can't the other half of their country, Dominican Republic or one of the other useless islands help store and rebuild them.When is the U.S going to smarten up and realize it can't save the world.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
I also support US Representative Alcee Hastings from Florida that along with other Florida politicians is rushing a bill through to start granting 10 year TPS to Haitian Evacuees to come to Florida. President Obama has mentioned supporting such a measure.They also state that in the long run Florida would benefit from these new residents, as they would contribute to the Florida economy. I applaud Florida law makers for opening Florida's door to these evacuees.
So how many relatives are you hoping to bring over from Haiti?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
lol

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

229 posts, read 778,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
....or one of the other useless islands ....
Great way to buttress your point !

Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 23,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
None, I am not of Haitian desent. But I do think this is the right thing to do and I support Florida's elected officials that realize that Florida is losing population and appeal, and that this would give the state a much needed boost. Having been a United Way volunteer, I have seen how hard working people from impoverished countries can be, the false stereo types that of been laid on this board are unfair.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
This really pisses me off ,why can't the other half of their country, Dominican Republic or one of the other useless islands help store and rebuild them.When is the U.S going to smarten up and realize it can't save the world.
A lot of people on here aren't understanding whats going on. We are not taking in native Haitians. The 40,000 coming to the US were mostly visiting haiti and the rest are US citizens who lived in haiti. They are from all over the US. The rest of the millions of natives are on there own. Yes we are trying to help aid them but we aren't bringing them here. They are trying get DR take them

Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
None, I am not of Haitian desent. But I do think this is the right thing to do and support Florida's elected officials that realize that Florida is losing population and appeal, and that this would give the state a much needed boost.

How? It's not like they are bringing in rocket scientists, biostaticians, or transportation engineers.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
A lot of people on here aren't understanding whats going on. We are not taking in native Haitians. The 40,000 coming to the US were mostly visiting haiti and the rest are US citizens who lived in haiti. They are from all over the US. The rest of the millions of natives are on there own. Yes we are trying to help aid them but we aren't bringing them here. They are trying get DR take them

As I've said before, I have no problem with the US military assets being used to repatriate US citizens who are in haiti. My problem is with that fact that we are giving them anything other than a free ride back to the US. They should get off the plane, go through customs, and that's where our taxpayer funded obligation to them ends. If the Red Cross sees a need, they can set up a temporary shelter.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM

21 posts, read 23,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
A lot of people on here aren't understanding whats going on. We are not taking in native Haitians.
This is untrue. Haitian citizens are already being granted TPS and a long term plan for a mass issuance of TPS's to Haitian citizens will commence soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando