Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times

Advertisements

Yes, Orlando is a major city, I believe it is 3rd as one of the most visited american cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 AM

157 posts, read 477,796 times
Major is a relative question. I'm from NYC so its small to me. I have to say that for Florida yes its major. It still needs a mass transit system & more relief (service roads) off off I 4 to make it work better

Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert999 View Post
Major is a relative question. I'm from NYC so its small to me. I have to say that for Florida yes its major. It still needs a mass transit system & more relief (service roads) off off I 4 to make it work better
thats on its way

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert999 View Post
That's an excellent point. Also the point about the mass transit issue.

There is a thread here about Orlando looking into adding gondolas to the mass transit system, instead of spending the money to make Lynx more efficient. It is this kind of thinking, IMO, that slows Orlando's progression to a crawl.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 PM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
Orlando is large enough. It's a huge tourist destination, and the sprawl goes for miles. It's airport is definitely comparable to those of major cities. Always compared it to Las Vegas in many ways too, ranging from the plethora of buffets by the airport and Disney area to the rude attitude of the people, most of which seem to be transplanted east coast urbanities.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Wow, this is ridiculous to even discuss. What qualifies being a "major city"? That's the real discussion and until you can find that answer out there's no way to answer this.

I think this is one of the most compelling arguments against Orlando being considered a "major city"
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even with the commuter rail coming in it lacks major things like art museums, history museums, architecture, stock exchange, research institutes, major news, politics, world class sports facilities..

Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Wow, this is ridiculous to even discuss. What qualifies being a "major city"? That's the real discussion and until you can find that answer out there's no way to answer this.

I think this is one of the most compelling arguments against Orlando being considered a "major city"
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even with the commuter rail coming in it lacks major things like art museums, history museums, architecture, stock exchange, research institutes, major news, politics, world class sports facilities..

architecture and density don't make cities, major cities.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
architecture and density don't make cities, major cities.
First I'm not sure where you got density from in my post but none the less this is why I said until you can define what does make a city and a major city you can't answer this question. Nobody mind you can give a 100% accurate definition to a major city because its subjective.

Having said that I believe architecture is a fairly good indicator,

When a city can afford projects like the Sydney Opera House, the Miami Art Museum, the Sears Tower, 1 Bryant Park, etc.... those are pretty good indicators to the cities willingness to spend funds on promoting both its image and its economy. When the big name architects go to work on multimillion dollar projects, I take that as a good indicator.

But again its all subjective in what each person believes a major city consists of.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
First I'm not sure where you got density from in my post but none the less this is why I said until you can define what does make a city and a major city you can't answer this question. Nobody mind you can give a 100% accurate definition to a major city because its subjective.

Having said that I believe architecture is a fairly good indicator,

When a city can afford projects like the Sydney Opera House, the Miami Art Museum, the Sears Tower, 1 Bryant Park, etc.... those are pretty good indicators to the cities willingness to spend funds on promoting both its image and its economy. When the big name architects go to work on multimillion dollar projects, I take that as a good indicator.

But again its all subjective in what each person believes a major city consists of.

-------

http://www.orlandopac.org/

http://www.amwaycenter.com/

Orlando has a lot of projects going on.

Either way Orlando is considered a major city. Its not the most important city in the US or even FL but its still a major city.

Last edited by GLS2010; 03-06-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
yes, it's at about the same level as Denver or Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando