Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 22,867 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me about this development in terms of a house (rather than apt rental)? I'm looking in the 375,000-400,000 range. I realize these are small lots (Which isn't an issue). My bigger concern is that I see there are a lot of rentals and I'm not sure if that works against the value on the homes. Is it a safe area and good for families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownHistorian View Post
Could someone tell me about this development in terms of a house (rather than apt rental)? I'm looking in the 375,000-400,000 range. I realize these are small lots (Which isn't an issue). My bigger concern is that I see there are a lot of rentals and I'm not sure if that works against the value on the homes. Is it a safe area and good for families?
I personally love Toscana's location.....

But yes the houses have just been packed together....I've walked through a number of the homes there, but along with the small lot sizes, the floorplans seem very tight. Some homes in there may claim 3000 sq ft. plans, however they seem much smaller when you actually enter them.

It's also a very cookie cutter/treeless neighborhood which irks me a bit (for the price you are paying).

Since Toscana is gated, there isn't really any traffic, so I've seen kids playing in the street.... but that's because there are no yards to play in

For $400K, I'd try to look deeper into Dr. Phillips for a more established neighborhood.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Toscana is a good looking neighborhood, great location, and it appeals to many people. HOA takes care of the lawns, gated, nice pool, new, and large sq-footage. However, yes there area quite a bit of rentals in the neighborhood. Unfortunately the community was built and sold at the height of the housing boom and a larger percentage where bought by "investors"....which is the root of the current issue's of renters, and the HOA. The HOA is VERY expensive for a single family home in that community, due in part to delinquency rates and that the HOA includes the Homes, the townhomes and the sparsley populated condo's that are inclusive in the HOA.
Definitely check out Residents of Toscana | A DeLuca Homes Community - News for the Residents of Toscana in Orlando, Florida to read up on some of their HOA issues. Don't let it completely scare you away as it seems the residents are getting very active about fixing the issues the association is facing....but go in eyes open that those high HOA dues will likely persist for a decent time going forward. The HOA and foreclosure issues are the likely cause of their prices being much lower than other comparable neighborhoods in the area.....an oportunity to someone willing to take in the risk, but a reason to stay away if you are not comfortable with an unknown future.

I agree with Volk2K though, for up to 400K, you should definitely be checking out other neighborhoods in the Dr. Phillips area in addition to Toscana. If you liked the overall feel of Toscana you will likely like Viscaya as well. Depending on the size house you are looking for, large homes can be had in the neighborhood for under 400K....though currently there are quite a few overpriced homes for sale in there.
Plus several other neighborhoods up and down Apopka Vineland are worth a look.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,325 times
I was looking at a house this evening in Toscana with my realtor and our car was towed. We were in the house no more than 45 minutes. I would be very leary of the place. It cost us $125 dollars and a lot of aggravation. The HOA is apparently looking to fill their budget holes wherever they can. Several residents said there cars had been towed too. They tow any car parked on any street in Toscana to make money. You also have to pay 1/2 of the previous owners unpaid HOA dues if you buy there. The HOA dues are $3400 per year so watch out.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
$3400 a year seems reasonable considering they take care of the lawn care as well.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,913 times
Toscana is a great place to live and enjoy a peaceful life. It is close to everything and when looking for real estate there are 3 words to remember......location, location, location. The values are well worth it and home prices are rising again in the community. It is conveniently located to the freeway, access to great schools, theme parks are close by, shopping in all directions. Yes, the community has high HOA dues right now due to the slackers who will not pay their dues. The new board is addressing those issues as the past boards did little to nothing to exercise their legal authority to collect from the homeowners, hence other homeowner's are assessed higher dues to cover the shortfalls of the slackers to pay the bills. Yes, there are renters due to the investors who gobbled up the deals back in 2005/2006 and held onto them and renting them to have cash flow. However, there was a high foreclosure rate due to investors as well. Most of those properties have been purchased and are now occupied by the new owners. It is a great community and will be even better as it moves forward with the control being with the homeowners who now comprise the HOA board vs. the past boards being the developers....who controlled everything and the homeowners had no say whatsoever.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
There are areas near that I have liked better. I find the HOA fees high, especially when you consider I get a Windermere home cut for $80/ month and another for $100. $200 additional so you can't park your car is too much, in my mind...especially when there are others that offer more in the same price or less.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM

73 posts, read 222,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
There are areas near that I have liked better. I find the HOA fees high, especially when you consider I get a Windermere home cut for $80/ month and another for $100. $200 additional so you can't park your car is too much, in my mind...especially when there are others that offer more in the same price or less.
I agree. The HOA is very high even compared to most upscale communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: