Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times

Advertisements

There are rattle snakes in FL for sure. they tend to be in the wooded areas more than in town. brown Recluses are a rarity and do not have established populations in this state. There are some spiders that are mistaken for them. The recluse is generally under 1 inch, The are commonly found in wooded areas like in the Ozarks.
Florida does have Coral snakes and they are extremely poisonous. red touches yellow stay away. they are small but if bitten you will barely have time to write a will and thats if the pen is in hand. They like leaves and ground rubbish. use gloves in the yard work, if bitten go immediately to hospital, calling ahead to tell them of your situation. Miami has one of the most advanced poison centers in the world and have come to the aid of some around here.... The cobra handlers in Kissimmee to name one.

With any wild life exercise caution.... that does not mean search and destroy. respect and go another way. if they cause a threat to others then have them removed. Snakes do good things, even the deadly ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,349 times
Quote:
Florida does have Coral snakes and they are extremely poisonous. red touches yellow stay away. they are small but if bitten you will barely have time to write a will and thats if the pen is in hand.
Aack!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Okay, now see - nature's just not fair...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 16,015 times
Saw a pygmy rattler years ago walking home from school. Strange that almost of all the wild snakes Ive ever seen have been near schools.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
In my 15 years of living in Altamonte Springs, I have never seen a rattler around my house. But I have seen coral snakes twice in my backyard.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Okay, now see - nature's just not fair...
LOL...I know...right? I try to remember the little rhyme about which is venomous...and then I think to myself....seriously.....if I see a snake that has red, yellow, and black.....in ANY order...just back AWAAAAYYYYY!!! Worry about the rhyme later, when you cannot get bitten...LOL! Same with the old addage, that a venomous snake can be identified by the shape of it's iris, or the shape of the belly scales....AS IF I am getting that close!!! I think not! Always better to be safe and cautious than, sorry in the instance of dealing with venomous critters....just leave them be and they will go on doing what they do best in nature (which is not bothering me! LOL)

Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,092 times
pansie, there scared of you, i have seen so many poisonous snakes and as soon as they see me they get away. I have gotten bitten by a water moccasan though, but thats because i put him in a container, he got out and i grabbed his tail. ALL SNAKES WILL TRY TO GET AWAY AND WILL ONLY BITE IF THEY FEEL THEIR IN A CORNER

Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
I have lived in FL for many years and in many places and have never seen a rattlesnake, or any poisonous snake, in FL in the wild. However I have seen MANY non poisonous snakes, black racers, kingsnakes, rat snakes etc. From what I understand, even the poisonous snakes are fearful of people and will retreat from you if given the chance, if cornered, they will strike. Although I have heard that cottonmouth water moccasins are the exception and are highly aggressive. They been known to chase people through the swamps.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 AM

These are big ol' fat snakes. I guess I pictured a skinny long black snake. I will definitely have to get familiar with what certain snakes look like if we ever move down there...

Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Default Rattlers...

Yes, you'll find rattlesnakes in orange groves (which are diminishing rapidly. The only time I've encountered one, though, was a couple of years ago. Killed a rattler on my pool deck. That being said, realize that my pool is not screened, and we are on about 300 acres of woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando