U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM

68 posts, read 195,060 times

Advertisements

I've been house hunting, mostly in Oviedo and Lake Mary. I've noticed that several homes had septic instead of sewer. Where I come from in the northeast septic tanks were synonymous with problems. Visions of swampy stinky backyards. Remember "Meet the Parents"? I've been told they are really no big deal and certainly not a reason to avoid a property that I like. I would greatly appreciate opinions on the subject.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM

4,193 posts, read 10,752,006 times
you'll find septic with homes on bigger lots, that usually aren't in any type of organized sub division. I never hear of problems with them.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,956,127 times
One thing to watch out for is special regional septic restrictions that will not allow any significant repairs to be made (or new installations) to existing septic tanks...especially if there is municipal sewer available within a reasonable distance to the property line. A couple such regions are the Lake Apopka and the Weikiva River Basin. What this means is that once the existing septic system goes kaput, you have to pay the fees to hook up to city sewer (or worse, install the appropriate pipe and/or pump systems to get to the city lines). This is all in an attempt to clean up the ground water in these special districts.

The county health office where the property is located can tell you more details and whether or not the property is within one of these regions. For Oviedo and Lake Mary, obviously it's the Seminole County Health Department.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM

59 posts, read 233,113 times
septics should be fine as long as you are fairly high above the water table, like 6-8 feet or more. if septics are too low, they won't perk to quickly, and you may smell them.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM

8,253 posts, read 11,819,435 times
septics will be more problematic than sewer. Sewer costs more monthly than Septic, but when septic costs it will make up for the savings in spades. Price out new drain fields, and pumping the tanks... then see if you really want one. If you go rural you will have no choice.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,956,127 times
There are very few places in Central Florida that maintain a water level (seasonal or normal) 6-8 ft. below the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: