Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 AM

13 posts, read 24,622 times

Advertisements

What city is better Tampa, Orlando or Houston? to relocate to. I'm relocating with small children after graduation in June and plan to finish graduate school while taking the CPA exam. I don't have family or friends in either place. I have done research and visited all three places yet I can't decide. Houston seems to pay more, it's very clean, and big. It's reminds me of St.Louis only cleaner,better weather, friendly people, and huge. I prefer to see different scenery that doesn't remind me of of STL. I see myself accomplishing peace in Florida,friendly environments, and beautiful weather even if it means a pay cut. Florida is so beautiful I'll work two jobs to live there and be happy. Please help I don't know what to do?. I don't want to fail in a new city. I pray everyday about it and just wanted to get several opinions. P.S. I'm not scared of hurricanes just roaches, rats, and alligators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,565,155 times
You asked this question back in August, and I thought I'd given you a pretty thorough synapsis of both Houston and Orlando, seeing as I've lived in both places. It sounds like you're still having a dilemma, so I don't know what else you're looking for. Have you reviewed the post I left back in August to refresh your memory?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,565,155 times
Not that my post back in August is the end-all, mind you. It's possible there are other people here that have lived in Houston and here and could give you advice. I don't know a whole lot about Tampa, although I do have a brother-in-law in Port Richey (which isn't too far from Tampa). I don't think it's as pretty as the Orlando-area, but that's really all I can say about it. It is a closer drive to the beach, obviously.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,480,184 times
Well since you've researched all the areas and visited them there's not much more you can do than try and decide which place would be best. Maybe try applying to jobs in all three cities and see what you can get. Orlando is a nice place and a wonderful city for kids to grow up in (at least from my experience). I've never been to Houston, but I do prefer Orlando to Tampa. I just think it's a nicer kept city.
Also, regarding your fears, the only thing you'll possibly need to watch out for are roaches. I've never seen a rat in Orlando (that may only be a problem if you live near a lake). Unless you're gonna go jumping into lakes the gators aren't going to bother you either

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 AM

13 posts, read 24,622 times
Thank you all for your help so much.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM

34 posts, read 132,779 times
I can't quite tell, but I get the impression that given the investment of time and effort you are putting into your career (CPA Exam is not easy), that this is very important to you. My advice would be that you should really, really understand the job markets of these three places. Now the CPA market is generally from what I understand pretty decent so you should be okay, but Houston by far is a larger, more stable market. I grew up and spent significant portions of my adult life in Orlando and Tampa finding that regardless of the rhetoric these are both secondary cities while Houston is one of the proverbial big boys (business-wise).

You have kids, spent time preparing yourself and probably want stability. Stick with Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando