U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: statistics analysis, statistical information,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:49 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,924,584 times

Advertisements

I wish all the people here would stop talking about things and say that one place is worse than another from statistical points of view. Not personal points of view. Because i know New Yorkers that have never had a gun pulled on them and they say it is worse there and i know people from everywhere else that say the same just to make thier area seem tougher thereby making them seem tougher, so no one will dare start anything with them. Sorta like a defense mechanism. Please bring statistics of the Bronx, or of Opa- Locka, or of Pine Hills Florida and then compare who is worse.

By the way if you really want to compare The south and North on how the geto looks but haven't lived there ever then google maps is the place. Just go to google maps and hit street view and you can go through those getos and look around for yourself and then report to us on which one you would choose to live if you had to pick one then put up statistics please.

thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,589,227 times
Funny, I believe the exact opposite.

If you want statistics, don't look for them on a message board like this one - Google the various statistical websites for that information. What we have to offer in this community is our own personal experiences. If I want to know about what it's like for a family oriented person to live in Las Vegas, I don't want to have to look at statistics, I just want some people like myself who lives in Las Vegas to tell me about it.

Likewise, if someone wants to know about what it's really like to live in Orlando or the surrounding areas, all they have to do is ask and me and others will tell them. They can pick and choose which perspective is more interesting or informative to them.

Not to mention, statistics are often bogus, manipulated, and based on grossly inadequate data. Unless you have a masters in statistics, it's highly doubtful that you really understand the statistical data you are looking at. I find it laughable as to what some people think passes for "statistics". In fact, you will be quite hard pressed to find true statistical data on anything on the internet. Mostly what you find is someone's biased, manipulative summary of some sketchy (and often non-existent) statistical data that you will never actually get to see.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:12 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,710,451 times
prichard, what % of orlando do you think are actually natives of the state? my guess is probably about 10%. fla (in general) only obtaines about 1/3 of it's residents (natives). but if you look at northern fla, it is probably higher. my guess is that orlando is one of the lowest, but you seem to think otherwise?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:59 AM

Well, backtofla, I'm not sure how we get on this topic of native Orlandoians, in this thread (about stats v. personal opinions). You raise a good question, and I really can't answer it. I do know that many of your Orange County and Seminole County leaders were born and raised in Orlando. I know many businessmen and women that are from Orlando. I still keep in touch with some people that I went to elementary school, junior high, and high school; in fact many of them still live right around the Orlando area.

I also know many people who have moved to North Georgia and SW North Carolina. If you ever go to Highlands NC, and that area, you will find a huge percentage of Central Floridians. So, I do know that many long-time Orlando Natives who's families go back for generations have left as well.

Orlando is probably at least 5x, maybe even 10x larger than it was in the early '70's. So, I guess that means that maybe only 1/10th of the population could be considered Orlando Natives. I think you will find this in any area that has had a surge in growth. After all, people aren't making that many babies to cause all of that growth. But, there aren't as many Orlando Natives up-and-leaving their hometown either. First, why would they? Orlando is an attractive place for young people. It's economy has been robust for decades now and job opportunities are excelent especially fo those who are from here. Most Orlandoians don't move to Tampa or Miami. I suppose that there is a more significant percentage that do move to Jacksonville and Atlanta.

I see the kids of successful businesspeople staying in Orlando; and I have seen them become successful. It's sort of hard to leave a growing, thriving, town where opportunity is staring you right in the face. The bottom line is that it is easier to make a good living in Orlando if you are from here. It's also harder to leave that opportunity behind. So, there really are quite a few Natives who don't leave.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,731,053 times
If your looking for factual information why not check the news sources in the area such as the Orlando Sentinal, they have an online version.

There is WESH 2 news and Local 6...they have information about the area as well.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,710,451 times
oh, i was just curious debary. no big deal. thanks for the replies

Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,731,053 times
You know what was a HUGE deciding factor for me about what town or area I would live in...I am used to a small town feel...I grew up in a town of only 5-6 thousand people...I don't like towns bigger then that.

Others are fine in places like Altamonte Springs or Sanford...The traffic in both places is a bit much for me.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 PM

13 posts, read 40,230 times
Im not sure what your post was trying to say, looks like you have some "fun" ways to spell english words, and some angry opinions. I have lived in Orlando most of my life. Also, I lived in Denver, Phoenix, New York City, and Los Angeles.
YES, you do want the casual observers opinions, but you must filter them out carefully, as best you can online, by reading the entire scope of the post, and hopefully use some of your people reading skills, and find out if they are just angry, had a bad day, not good communicators, etc.
Yes, Pine hills has horrible stats. Generally, Seminole county is better than orange, stats prove that. Although Orange is patchy, you can get a great area there, you just have to be carefull, and investigate yourself. I dont like Orlando, although it is my home. It is mean (voted most angry city in the US this year), has no true culture of its own, and seems to have no civic pride, and the geography is so homogenized, its almost depressing. Love it or leave it, Orlando is what it is, a sprawling strip mall with unbelievable traffice and ridiculous housing prices. Its my home, but I realize it does not compare well with other cities. Its probably the best thing going in Florida, unless you work for the college in Gainseville, or own some property near Tampa.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:16 PM

1,352 posts, read 5,924,584 times
To the guy who thinks opposite from me about statistics. I understand what you are saying, but lets say my favorite team is the Miami Heat and i am talking to alot of people living in L.A. about thier team. They might say thier team is better and i might say well you dont have this player or that player....and we can go back and forth....but if you pull out statistics of a player or of each team you will find that the Miami Heat has only won one championship and LA has about 4 so going by statistics LA is better in the view of someone who is neutral.....

there is alot of bias when asking someone if thier city is tougher than another because people naturally have pride about where they live and will sugarcoat things...so you do need them to bring facts not thier stories.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Statistics in Basketball - basically a corporate monopoly that is highly regulated and controled to maximize profits, is quite different than "crime stats" from thousands of different cities/counties, some of which know better than to advertise their squalor and chaos. Need I mention New Orleans?

If you're going to quote stats, then quote them properly. Tell us who "they" are. Explain the sampling of each set of stats you select to quote. Who collected the data and how was it analyzed?

Before you trust statistics to tell you anything, I suggest that you take a few college level courses in statistics. If you do this, you will agree with me rather than argue about "statistics". Don't go comparing real life to statistics quoted in Basketball 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or