Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 35,107 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Orlando in 3 years (yes its a few yrs away, but I want to start the ball rolling). Can yous give me advice on some nice areas to look into, as well as areas to stay away from.

ALITTLE ABOUT US: We love to go out and do things, yet also stay at home. GOOD HIGH SCHOOLS (our boys will be 18 & 15 then), would like to be close enough to a LOCAL BUS route (my mom is also coming, but doesn't drive). Close to shops, resturants etc.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM

96 posts, read 186,992 times
Default Same boat as you.

NYladybug, I'm bound for the Orlando Area myself. I plan to do it earlier than you (within the next 6 months) I am also doing some heavy duty homework on this. I've heard so many stories of crime and poor, poor economy that quite honestly I've gotten a bit weary. But my drive to succeed is what keep pushing us. My wife and I are very excited but also very fearlful or complete disaster upon our arrival. This is a good forum.... stay on it and good luck !

Old 03-06-2010, 06:12 PM

53 posts, read 193,393 times
I am doing my research and moving atleast part-time in 2 1/2 years. It is very confusing!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
For all who are concerned with crime, in my opinion it's blown way out of proportion in Orlando. Unless you're hanging around/living in a bad area you should be fine

Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM

GOOD LUCK to both of yous (NJVIC123 & Jeffwltrs). It is very confusing not knowing this stuff ... so many ppl say this about an area and then you have the same amount saying the complete opposite! We just want to find a nice area, that is centrally located, and fun at the same time. We live in Virginia Beach right now and are so over it. Thats why we picked Orlando, the "atmosphere" is so much different.

Please keep me in mind if yous do find out anything, and I will do the same.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Default but what is a "bad" area

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
For all who are concerned with crime, in my opinion it's blown way out of proportion in Orlando. Unless you're hanging around/living in a bad area you should be fine

BRINKOFSUNSHINE: That is the thing, my family and I are moving there, and would like to know what areas are "good" and which are "bad"

Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYladybug View Post
BRINKOFSUNSHINE: That is the thing, my family and I are moving there, and would like to know what areas are "good" and which are "bad"
Alright, a lot of areas are a bit blurry because one part can be a nice and the next is not, but I'll try and help.

Areas that you should avoid would include Pine Hills, Parramore, Tangelo Park, and Oak Ridge. Metrowest is generally billed as a bad area although some will argue, I think it may depend on the subdivision. Millenia can be deceiving, it looks nice but it's much too close to Oak Ridge.

The nicest areas in my opinion are Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Winter Park, and College Park. There are other nice areas toward downtown and east and north of Orlando but I'm not as familiar with these areas, although I've heard good things about Oviedo and Lake Mary. Parts of Winter Garden and Ocoee can be nice but other parts are not so great.

You asked about high schools: generally the best billed HS's in Orlando are Dr. Phillips, Olympia, Boone, and Winter Park. I graduated from Dr. Phillips and I loved my experience there.

I think you'd definitely have to work closely with a realtor to find what's best for you.. but I hope this is a start

Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 AM

28 posts, read 206,923 times
Hello and good luck on your move. I just moved to the Orlando area (Sanford to be exactly) from Mass.

Crime is really blown out of proportion. There are bad spots in the city, but nothing different from where I came from.

Jobs are scarce. Is really tough to get a good job, specially in this economy. There is not much diversion of good companies in this area.

As far as good and bad places, you probably will hear the usual suspects:

Bad: Pine Hills, Parramore

Good: Lake Mary (love it) Winter Park (love it), Dr. Phillips and Windermere

Although a lot of people said Sanford is bad, I am okay with it. not great, just okay.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
Hello and good luck on your move. I just moved to the Orlando area (Sanford to be exactly) from Mass.

Crime is really blown out of proportion. There are bad spots in the city, but nothing different from where I came from.

Jobs are scarce. Is really tough to get a good job, specially in this economy. There is not much diversion of good companies in this area.

As far as good and bad places, you probably will hear the usual suspects:

Bad: Pine Hills, Parramore

Good: Lake Mary (love it) Winter Park (love it), Dr. Phillips and Windermere

Although a lot of people said Sanford is bad, I am okay with it. not great, just okay.

Now all these are IN Orlando (sub divisions)? Someone had said like 7 miles from Disneyworld was a nice area, I believe they said it was Kissimmee? Do you know that area?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYladybug View Post
Now all these are IN Orlando (sub divisions)? Someone had said like 7 miles from Disneyworld was a nice area, I believe they said it was Kissimmee? Do you know that area?
Most of the places mentioned are towns surrounding the city of Orlando. If you look at it that way then Disney isn't in Orlando either. When someone says they are moving to Orlando people assume your talking about Metro Orlando which includes the city of Orlando and its surrounding communities. All of unincorporated Orange county has an Orlando address along with areas in the city of Orlando so it can get confusing. But good areas with Orlando addresses include Dr Phillips, College Park, Lee Vista, Lake Nona, Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, Baldwin Park, and of course Downtown Orlando and all its historic neighborhoods. Then nice areas that are in other incorporated towns surrounding Orlando include Winter Park (which is actually closer to downtown Orlando than most of the places I listed with Orlando addresses... like i said, its confusing) Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Windemere, Clermont, Winter Garden, etc..

So just because one area has an Orlando address and one area doesn't, doesn't mean that the area with the Orlando address is closer to downtown orlando. Some areas that have Orlando addresses are over 10 miles away from the actual city of Orlando.

And Kissimmee is a tourist town near Disney World, a lot of tourists are in that area, I wouldn't recommend it for living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando