Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,031,513 times

Advertisements

Places like Pine Hills you regularly hear about people getting shot outside of grocery stores and convenience stores. Fashion Square mall you don't. To me that's a pretty good indicator.

And honestly I think your logic is more flawed than mine. With your logic no place I go has any indication on the surrounding area because I don't know what the person in the next apartment over from me is doing. They very well could be selling prostitutes and dealing every night while seeming perfectly fine during the day. But alas, we as humans must base our views on something. So if your logic was accurate I'm really not sure how anyone could make any claim to anything?

I feel safe in my apartment so I presume it is safe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM

18,062 posts, read 11,693,279 times

Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
please, no hit and run posts

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM

18,062 posts, read 11,693,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
please, no hit and run posts

I'm "marking" certain threads.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM

433 posts, read 1,007,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Places like Pine Hills you regularly hear about people getting shot outside of grocery stores and convenience stores. Fashion Square mall you don't. To me that's a pretty good indicator.

And honestly I think your logic is more flawed than mine. With your logic no place I go has any indication on the surrounding area because I don't know what the person in the next apartment over from me is doing. They very well could be selling prostitutes and dealing every night while seeming perfectly fine during the day. But alas, we as humans must base our views on something. So if your logic was accurate I'm really not sure how anyone could make any claim to anything?

I feel safe in my apartment so I presume it is safe...
I just think it's a little ignorant (not calling you ignorant) to make a decision based on whether or not the mall in that neiborhood is safe and has friendly normal people in it.

I don't view the people in the mall as the same people who would be my neighbors. I view them as people at the mall shopping for stuff.

I could go into a bar or club and feel totally fine, then wander two blocks behind it and end up in a dumpster.

Where i live right now I deem perfectly safe despite the occassional car theft or attempted break in within the complex, but i would NOT roam to the complex across the way especially after dark. I've been warned not to, and most of the problems we have at our complex are a result of the people who live there at this other complex.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 03-25-2010 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,031,513 times
I don't know I think thats true of downtown areas where there are lots of nightclubs and bars that people travel to which is absolutely true of downtown Orlando (and most club centers like Miami Beach or Coconut Grove down in Miami). But malls, strip malls, local bars, stuff like that are usually inhabited by the people nearby or they wouldn't remain open. Unless its a specialty mall that people are really traveling to like Mall at Millennia which is deliberately on the outside of town as a high end mall close enough to be used by residents but also outside enough that tourists can enjoy the high end stores as well.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I don't know I think thats true of downtown areas where there are lots of nightclubs and bars that people travel to which is absolutely true of downtown Orlando (and most club centers like Miami Beach or Coconut Grove down in Miami). But malls, strip malls, local bars, stuff like that are usually inhabited by the people nearby or they wouldn't remain open. Unless its a specialty mall that people are really traveling to like Mall at Millennia which is deliberately on the outside of town as a high end mall close enough to be used by residents but also outside enough that tourists can enjoy the high end stores as well.
I guess my main concern is that this is a place where no one is held accountable. People can come and go as they please, there is no longterm thing.

As such I worry that there might be some people conducting shady activities there that may draw a type of attention that I dont want. I also am concerned at this point of being a target because I am white.

All that being said it doesn't seem like really anyone in this thread has come on here and given me any indication that there is anything that they are aware of bad that goes on in this area at all. I know that it is a little run down and certainly not winter park but it doesn't sound like it is even close to west orlando and with the location being ideal it sounds like a good compromise.

I was just trying to get a feel for if it would seem any more dangerous to me than where I am now. I wanted to see if people considered it the ghetto or if people have heard of bad **** going down.

It doesn't sound like that's the case.

Ultimately I will have to check it out for myself.

At the mall i felt like the people were friendly and found myself in pleasant down to earth conversations with several strangers. I felt like it was friendly and preferred it to the sometimes snobby clientelle at mall of millenia (not to mention the high prices).

Old 03-28-2010, 03:20 AM

Checked it out for myself today. I thought it was a great street filled with lots of businesses and people. I didn't feel unsafe at all. The streets definately are not filled with middle class white people, but I dont see that as a deterrent.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
I was three blocks from that place yesterday around 4:30 at a friends house in Colonialtown. Little Saigon was pretty desserted when I drove through, but when I left my friend's house I made a stop in Colonial Plaza and then drove to Park Ave CD's and that whole area was buzzing with activity.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:30 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,157,442 times
It's hit or miss. You might consider a small apartment in WP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando